Graphics stuck at 800x600

Skull_Throne

Hey guys,

Still kind of new to the forum. Has anyone else had issues with their resolution setting being stuck at the lowest and unchangeable? I click the arrow and the drop down menu won't open up. This did not happen before 5.0 I'm wondering if it's actually a bug or just my laptop.

*Edit*

Also forgot to mention - I did try updating my display drivers and looked at different graphics properties to see if I'd inadvertently changed something. Nada.

Edited by Skull_Throne

I have seen a few other reports on this sort of issue recently

Can you post a dxdiag per this link

and also post the contents of the client_settings file

Press the [Windows] Key + [R] at the same time

Copy the following in to the text box and press ok

%localappdata%\swtor\swtor\settings

Open the client_settings.ini file in notepad and copy the contents to here

Okay. Here's the dxdiag:

http://hastebin.com/guqusezabi.tex

Client Settings:

[Renderer]

AllowColorRemapping = true

AllowDepthOfField = true

AmbientNPCCount = 35

D3DFullScreen = true

doBlobShadows = true

doShadows = false

DYDDrawDistancePreset = 0

EnableBloom = true

GraphicsDeviceId = 6422

GraphicsQuality = 6

Height = 600

NativeHeight = 2160

NativeWidth = 3840

PerfTestFlags = 442258

PlantDensity = 50

RefreshRate = 60

ShaderSet = 9

SpeedTreeDistanceScale = 1.25

TextureAnisotropy = 8

TextureQuality = 0

VerticalSyncState = true

Width = 800

AntiAliasingLevel = 2

AtlasQuality = 0

MeshLODQuality = 1

WindowX = 0

WindowY = 0

CodeVersionChanged = false

LastCodeVersionRun = 1

ShadowMapResolution = 1024

[Game]

MoviesFolder = ..\..\Movies

SwtorRegKey = SOFTWARE\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic

Thanks for that, interesting

If you go to Dell at this link

You will find a new bios for your system, and also you will see a video driver released by dell is there any change if you use that particular video driver ? Version: 20.19.15.4483 ,A08 (seems this is the version reported but to be sure)

Intel drivers are the base for reporting available resolutions, so it is worthwhile to use the dell driver the generic ones arent always 100% compatible.

As you can see the client_settings file is showing the following

NativeHeight = 2160

NativeWidth = 3840

yet

Height = 600

Width = 800

you can try and alter these to

Height = 1080

Width = 1920

and add the following

FullScreen = false

save the file

but the intel 520 would be pushing uphill to support 3840x2160 ingame , I would recommend once this gets sorted not to run at that resolution, even 1920 x 1080 would be difficult for this card

give you an idea the intel 520 benchmark is here

Edited by OwenBrooks

looking closer at the video driver , the version you have actually appears to be , 20.19.0015.4483 yet the date is incorrect

Will look at alternative just for testing to 100% sure its not driver issue for that version as the dell listed one is the same version just dated differently.

This is the latest intel generic driver and is listed for your CPU - see link 15.45.10.4542

Known issues for that driver

 Graphics anomalies may be observed in Rise of the Tomb Raider*, Fallout 4*, Far Cry Primal*, Hitman*, Just Cause

3*, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition* and other games.

 Crash or hang may occur in Ashes of the Singularity*, Vendetta: Curse of Raven’s Cry*, Rainbow Six Siege*, Just

Cause 3*, and other games or apps.

 Forza Horizon 3 Demo* does not launch.

 The OpenGL* version may not appear in the Information Center within the Intel® Graphics Properties tool.

Edited by OwenBrooks

Wow. Thanks for pulling all of this up. I'm going to download some of the software updates listed on the page. This isn't really a laptop used for playing games. SWTOR is the only one I play. My resolution is usually set on the third option (two above 800x600) anything above that and it gets a bit chuggy at times. I really haven't had any issues with this prior to the new patch drop.

The issue could well be the patch but need to provide as much information as possible in regards to hardware and things tried as it is working fine for the majority , intel can be unique sometimes , hence needing to look closer at the driver as it is the driver that governs the resolution available.

If a different driver version is also affected then it gives information that can be used by BW to look for the cause.

The issue could well be the patch but need to provide as much information as possible in regards to hardware and things tried as it is working fine for the majority , intel can be unique sometimes , hence needing to look closer at the driver as it is the driver that governs the resolution available.

If a different driver version is also affected then it gives information that can be used by BW to look for the cause.

That's fine. I'll be looking for any anomalies that I can find. Also of note - I AM able to change any of the other graphical options (Aliasing, Shadows, Tree details etc.) I also get the sound/effects when I click the resolution arrow. The list just doesn't drop down.

I have pulled a temporary fix from an old thread. While it does work, it's a royal pain and requires a bit of back and forth to get it to work.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=904310

Just paste C:\users\[username]\AppData\Local\SWTOR\swtor\settings into your search bar. Go to that folder and open up the "client_settings" file. You don't need to delete it like the above thread says. Instead, plug in the desired resolution under "height" and "width." I think what this does is lock the resolution at that level. When you boot up you'll still be stuck on 800x600 and still unable to access the drop down menu. Hit Alt+Enter to go into windowed mode. It'll grey out the box entirely. On the left, switch it manually back (using the drop down box) to full screen and it should pop straight into whatever resolution you plugged into the "client_settings" file. It's worked every time for me so far. But it's a real pain since you have to do this every time you launch the game.

I'm 95% certain it's the patch at this point.

• 1 month later...
I have pulled a temporary fix from an old thread. While it does work, it's a royal pain and requires a bit of back and forth to get it to work.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=904310

Just paste C:\users\[username]\AppData\Local\SWTOR\swtor\settings into your search bar. Go to that folder and open up the "client_settings" file. You don't need to delete it like the above thread says. Instead, plug in the desired resolution under "height" and "width." I think what this does is lock the resolution at that level. When you boot up you'll still be stuck on 800x600 and still unable to access the drop down menu. Hit Alt+Enter to go into windowed mode. It'll grey out the box entirely. On the left, switch it manually back (using the drop down box) to full screen and it should pop straight into whatever resolution you plugged into the "client_settings" file. It's worked every time for me so far. But it's a real pain since you have to do this every time you launch the game.

I'm 95% certain it's the patch at this point.

Have the same issue and this works for me too... but as you said it is a pain... This game works really bad with UHD screens...

i'm 95% certain its intel video driver and monitor inf related , anyone not using a intel video driver as a base driver ?

Make a post at EA AnswersHQ with a dxdiag per this link.

Can try creating a monitor inf override with just the monitor native resolution listed with CRU - https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU

advise if this solves it for you

Edited by OwenBrooks

What Worked for me.

Hey,

So I randomly encountered the same problem yesterday after alt tabbing to the desktop. The game worked fine with the latest patch until yesterday for whatever reason that one time I alt tabbed locked my res to 800x600 with no drop down menu.

1. Press Windows Key + R.

2. Enter %localappdata%\swtor\swtor\settings and press OK to open that location.

3. Open the client_settings.ini and change the values to: Fullscreen = false. D3DFullScreen = false. RefreshRate = 60.

4. Save the changes and try running the game again.

After that the game will open windowed mode with 1024x768 but grayed out (that was the res it showed me).

Set it to Full Screen mode then...(Here's the weird part).. When I clicked the drop down box, the drop down came from top right of the screen... But I was able to select a new res :)

Hope that helps.

Edit: This should be a permanent fix, not something you have to do every time.

Edited by Psylocked
Typo

• 9 months later...
What Worked for me.

Hey,

So I randomly encountered the same problem yesterday after alt tabbing to the desktop. The game worked fine with the latest patch until yesterday for whatever reason that one time I alt tabbed locked my res to 800x600 with no drop down menu.

1. Press Windows Key + R.

2. Enter %localappdata%\swtor\swtor\settings and press OK to open that location.

3. Open the client_settings.ini and change the values to: Fullscreen = false. D3DFullScreen = false. RefreshRate = 60.

4. Save the changes and try running the game again.

After that the game will open windowed mode with 1024x768 but grayed out (that was the res it showed me).

Set it to Full Screen mode then...(Here's the weird part).. When I clicked the drop down box, the drop down came from top right of the screen... But I was able to select a new res :)

Hope that helps.

Edit: This should be a permanent fix, not something you have to do every time.

old post but worth bumping... just encountered this mess, thanks to google found this comment...his fix worked perfectly...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.