Game unplayable due to resolution/graphics issue

neenoh

I've encountered an issue i have never had prior to patch 5.0

The game always opens in 800x600, no matter what i do. i tried a lot of things to fix it, even changed data in client.in and made it read only hoping it won't change but it did.

The main problem here is not that it starts in 800x600, since i wouldn't mind simply changing to desired resolution every time i opened the game, but the problem is exactly that, meaning i cannot change the resolution because every time i click on the resolution drop screen it drops from the top of my screen and shows only two (highest) options. Meaning i can't even click on anything but 800x600.

A couple time i was able to change it somehow, because the drop screen miraculously worked but then when i started playing the game it was slow and the companions kept disappearing, not to mention that almost every cinematic froze.

Now all of that is something i have never experienced prior to patch 5.0, and i honestly cannot play the game at all, i have spent countless hours trying to fix it but i don't know how.

oh yeah one more thing, if i change the resolution (on rare occasions when resolution drop screen works) it almost always leaves 800x600 active and creates an extra screen in the top left corner in what i think is that other resolution, which again just adds to general frustration.

Does anyone else experience this?

Can the developers just bring the graphic thing back to how it was before the patch 5.0?

When it starts in 800x600 what occurs if you press ALT + Enter then redo ingame settiings ?

alt+enter goes into windowed mode at 1024x768. but when i change it there and click fullscreen it either goes back to 800x600, or just completely messes it up and creates this little separate screens in the top corner.

It seems to work when i play it in the resolution my computer screen is in, but that resolution slows the game down a bunch. So i have two choices the very lowest or the very highest, but no way to get that sweet spot middle that i used to play in for the past couple of years

yeah same here, nothing really fixes it.

I mean the point is until just about 4 or 5 days ago everything was running perfectly with no problems whatsoever for years and now suddenly nothing is as it was.

so it is obviously a very BAD BUG, as it has already been said :-)

Just fix it guys and no hard feelings :-)

Update the video driver recently as well ? swtor gets its information from the edid data , only other thing that can affect this is the video driver, try an older video driver to be sure

Press the [Windows] Key + [R] at the same time

Copy the following in to the text box and press ok

%localappdata%\swtor\swtor\settings

Delete the client_settings.ini file

what video card and OS is this ?

Edited by OwenBrooks

Hey Owen, thanx for trying to help.

Before i even posted this topic i had already tried all the possible combinations with the client.ini file, edited it, deleted it, made it read only...

I play the game on my Surface Pro 3. I know it is not the most powerful machine but until a week ago this game ran really well on it and i had no issues at all. I waited for this patch 5.0a to see if maybe it would change something but it didn't. It still opens in 800x600, resolution drop window still doesnt work, and all the old problems from 5.0 are there and now on top of it all i am stuck on chapter 2 (yes i tried playing with the crappy looking graphics, it was awful lol) where you need to meet Saresh on Odessen. The game simply stops at the start of the cutscene, all i see is my character and the bubble over his head and that's it. i am slowly giving up, and it's too bad cuz i really like this game.

I don't know what they changed for this new patch but whatever it is i bet they affected a whole lot of computers because i doubt there is a small number of us with this problem.

Have a good day everybody

This appears to be confined to intel video cards at present , will pass back to BW for comment

Intel cards also where known to stop on cinematics even when kotfe released

I would pass this to intel as well , as AMD and Nvidia do not see this with any commonality

Edited by OwenBrooks