The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Searing Wave initial thoughts

BladeAX

I'm an AP PT, been playing the game since launch, so experienced and not new to the game and play both pvp and pve equally and like and do well in both. Just downloaded new content and been playing/practicing the new abilities for AP PT the last few hours. I don't want to completely bash the new changes right off until I've had enough time to acclimate myself to them, because I've experienced this before and there can be an adjustment period to getting used to new abilities. I had gotten fairly adept at using Flamethrower, it can be very effective when used properly and correctly and in certain situations (especially and more so in pve, and dealing with mobs). Practiced on training dummy and played EV HM op right away with some guildmates to try it out. So they replace Flamethrower with this new ability Searing Wave just for PT's, and here is what I've what I noticed right off the bat. Searing Wave does about 1/2 the dmg of Flamethrower, the cooldown is twice as long as Flamethrower, and it generates more heat. I simply don't understand this change, unless of course I am doing something wrong and not using it correctly or haven't adjusted my utility points correctly. Any thoughts, input, advice or comments, positive or negative welcome.

• 3 weeks later...

Searing wave overall I feel is just bad, 20 instant heat is rough AP or Pyro.

Anyway, it definitely hurts Pyro way more, searing wave doesn't even hit what one tick of flamethrower would in pyro. Even with empowered flamethrower/searing wave proc. I don't play so much PvE, mainly PvP. Always pyro, VG if i'm playing the other specs because aesthetics.

I really think at least for pyro revert searing back to flamethrower or some new flamethrower ability, searing wave is a terrible replacement for what was one of our best abilities.

As for AP, since searing wave doesn't do much and is instant 20 heat, I feel like it should be buffed or simply reduce the amount of heat it takes to use, it's nonsense to consider using it now as AP to hit 4kish, over using mag burst that does double for less heat.

Searing wave overall I feel is just bad, 20 instant heat is rough AP or Pyro.

Anyway, it definitely hurts Pyro way more, searing wave doesn't even hit what one tick of flamethrower would in pyro. Even with empowered flamethrower/searing wave proc. I don't play so much PvE, mainly PvP. Always pyro, VG if i'm playing the other specs because aesthetics.

I really think at least for pyro revert searing back to flamethrower or some new flamethrower ability, searing wave is a terrible replacement for what was one of our best abilities.

As for AP, since searing wave doesn't do much and is instant 20 heat, I feel like it should be buffed or simply reduce the amount of heat it takes to use, it's nonsense to consider using it now as AP to hit 4kish, over using mag burst that does double for less heat.

I was thinking something like this but each spec gets it's own "flamethrower" give the "Pyro" stance Firestorm / Ion Storm animation and let be the full channeled animation that they can walk with. Give AP/Tactics a Magnetic / Tactical Wave which is like 15m cone that can either refresh the "rail shot" or it builds a power lode. While tank spec can keep the burst based fire/ion storm just buff it's damage since it's the only thing that really hurts.

Edited by ExeErdna