The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

No more platinum lightsabers for the love of the force

UltraManDingo

Dear Bioware,

I'm not sure what has led you to hate Jedi and Sith so much lately, but please stop making every freaking cartel market lightsaber platinum. The drop rate is too rare, and us collectors are starting to get poor. None of the other classes have to pay so high a tax for their cartel market weapons. It's not cool.

Thanks

- A really poor collector...

Update: Current Ebon Hawk Prices for Platinum Sabers

Stronghold Defender's Lightsaber: Available for Cartel Certificates (None on GTN at present)

Valor: Available for Cartel Certificates (One on GTN for 60M)

Unstable Arbiter's Lightsaber: 46M, 70M, and 89M

Unstable Arbiter's Dualsaber: 15M, 17M, and 18M

Defiant Vented Lightsaber: 79M and 80M

Defiant Vented Dualsaber: 9M, 10M, 15M, 24M, and 15M

Senya Tirall's Llightsaber: 90M, 94M, and 95M

Senya's Lightsaber Pike: 80M and 99M

As you can see, the single blades are stupid rare and expensive...

Thanks BW

Edited by UltraManDingo

It's an explicit tax against Force users! Make more Platinum quality Blasters to even things out.

Don't give them ideas, please.

Update: Current Ebon Hawk Prices for Platinum Sabers

Stronghold Defender's Lightsaber: Available for Cartel Certificates (None on GTN at present)

Valor: Available for Cartel Certificates (One on GTN for 60M)

Unstable Arbiter's Lightsaber: 46M, 70M, and 89M

Unstable Arbiter's Dualsaber: 15M, 17M, and 18M

Defiant Vented Lightsaber: 79M and 80M

Defiant Vented Dualsaber: 9M, 10M, 15M, 24M, and 15M

Senya Tirall's Llightsaber: 90M, 94M, and 95M

Senya's Lightsaber Pike: 80M and 99M

As you can see, the single blades are stupid rare and expensive...

Thanks BW

A month ago, defiant vented lightsaber costs like 50% more than that on jedi covenant.

Edited by wtfimblue

Yeah mostly all supply and demand, but I don't really see much of anything going close to 50 yet 100m cause I'd rather buy a guildship for that much than 1 item, heck even the akk dog + the old korrealis 1.2 mounts are being listed for 500m+ each I bet only like 5% of the entire game has that much on them at all times. Edited by Theeko

Yeah mostly all supply and demand, but I don't really see much of anything going close to 50 yet 100m cause I'd rather buy a guildship for that much than 1 item.

I managed to get 75 million or so for Senya's lightsaber on Jedi Covenant. I have no idea if the ones listed for more than that ever actually got bought, though.

Definitely /signed.

Platinum items are a terrible idea to begin with. It encourages people to spend real money on vanity items that they may not be able to afford. If you can't afford it with real $$, then you pretty much have to spend your lifetime in-game savings to be able to afford one.

Unfortunately it also means that CM whales will throw down hundreds, if not thousands of dollars just to get a platinum item. For that reason, don't count on platinum items going away anytime soon. Those alone have probably increased this game's revenue.

Edited by heythereqt

Get rid of the dumb packs already. Let us buy with CC the items we want from the market. Also, let us purchase copys of decorations with CC/credits. Who is in charge of these decisions?

I suspect that "just letting us buy things with CC" directly is the less profitable course of action, thus the less prudent business decision. Some people will sink huge sums into CC to buy obscene numbers of packs, hoping for ultra-rare items. That's good for the game, even if it's frustrating for players looking for individual items.

Actually they may make more. EA rotated The SIms 3 store stuff for sale prices and I know I spent money to get store Items at decent deals (yes I play SIms also and I own everything in the Sims 3 store). I would buy CC if there was a chance of Satele's armor popping up for sale and other ones, I would prefer to spend my CC directly on what I want instead of a slim chance in hell of actually getting anything I want. And there is only so much I am willing to pay on the GTN, people seriously need to stop being jack@*** on it and stop pricing things for ridiculous prices.

Maybe if the ultra rare sets / items (most demanding) are atleast 20-25k cc on average for direct purchase then it would probably work by basing the price on the average item obtained in said amount of hypercrate purchases Edited by Theeko

I would buy CC if there was a chance of Satele's armor popping up for sale and other ones, I would prefer to spend my CC directly on what I want instead of a slim chance in hell of actually getting anything I want. And there is only so much I am willing to pay on the GTN, people seriously need to stop being jack@*** on it and stop pricing things for ridiculous prices.

I mean... sure? I'd rather spend a dollar on something I definitely know I want than ten dollars for the chance of maybe getting something I want, but the point is that there are clearly enough people willing to spend that ten dollars to make it worth Bioware's while to go that route. (This is also why I only buy stuff with my regular monthly subscriber CC allotment.)

As to pricing on the GTN? People will charge whatever they can get away with charging. If no one's buying, the price drops. On the other hand, if I can get a hundred million credits for something, I absolutely will, and I won't for a second feel badly about it.

Being able to buy any item directly from the store is interesting. It's quite possible they would make less money, though it's also possible they'd make more. Very true that there are some people willing to spend a ton on packs, but also true there are many that NEVER buy them because they always get common items, and know they can buy the common and semi-rare stuff on the GTN.

However if you had to buy the items directly I'm assuming that the individual items would cost more CC than the pack would. Basing this on the cost of armor sets and weapons currently. Also since they are bought directly from the market, the convenience of being able to open the GTN and find a bunch of cartel items would probably drastically decrease. Some people would still buy to sell, but I think most would just buy what they want. Honestly I can see ups and downs to both. Though I personally don't think they'll ever give the option to buy items you want directly unless it's just for way too much CC to discourage it.

That being said I hate platinum lightsabers and think they are ridiculous. Making them gold would have been fine. I don't even care for most of them, but I know a lot of people do and sure, make them rare, but not constant 8 digit sales on every server rare.

Yeah, point is that you can't make a blaster pistol / rifle / sniper or assault cannon sooo flashy that it will generate immediate hype.

I guess that if they'd introduce the Primordial Assault Cannon today, it'd be immediately platinum rarity.

However, add "vented" or "unstable" prefixes and effects to a lightsaber and BOOM! Platinum rarity.

I guess it won't be long until we see the Vented Unstable Lightsaber introduced as ultra-platinum rarity, dropping exclusively from Hypercrates with 0.5% rate and exclusive to 10 pieces / server as a total.

It's a shame this is the direction, they should have had stick to the original bronze / silver / gold ratings and not towards greed for more cash. :(

No more platinum anything pls. It is just so darn hard to get anything worthwhile from the cartel packs. I see something I want, there should be an easier way to get it, like the GW2 store.

I would absolutely love to get Senya's lightsaber pike but after spending near 3k cartel coins and getting literally only bronze, silver trash and gtn lowest price is 50mill, there's just no way i can get it......what is the point of the cartel market sometimes, pls change

• 2 weeks later...
I like Platinum items, something really rare that You want spend credits. But i would want to see Platinum guns instead of Lightsabers now.

First of all, good point on needing to do it to other types too. Second, I still have to disagree. Really rare rewards are one thing, but just locking stuff behind obscene gates in a cash grab really show what BW and EA think of the player base. I'm starting to feel treated like a battlefront gamer. Lots of money... Little content...