Why SWTOR lack of a good wiki?

Slowpokeking

But GW2 got a great wiki as well, Dulfy didn't kill it.

Dulfy does have good new info, but I don't think it's the same as a wiki.

GW1 already had a wiki and support from Anet. It's even part of their main website. In short, Anet has given more support to the wiki pages than BWA have ever done. I just wish GW2 was more fun to play, but for me it's not. I get bored there much more easily than here. Not because there is nothing to do, but because it just bores me more quickly.

But yeh, BWA have never really shown much interest in directly supporting certain player initiatives.

Tons of other games have a great wiki for new players to find any info they need, also they could see the different paths of the story through spoilers. But SWTOR still haven't got a good wiki. The SW wiki was only good for lore, but it doesn't contain the gameplay.

Let's check, shall we?

We have following possible section of wiki:

Operations - nothing new in the past 2 years. New system discourages raiding groups. No new content announced. There's an ignored bug with instances. PvP vs. PvE balance... thus there's right now probably only Hayete(sorry, I probably butchered your name). Most of the devoted players left or are in the process of leaving

Warzones - oh, these players have to shout for many months to get NEW RANKED SEASON. A thing that should be automated. Then the rewards are so astonishing many players are returning(sarcasm). After several years of no new content we received 2 new WZs which are not generally liked and have some bugs. New gearing system isn't helping too. Most of the devoted players left or are in the process of leaving

GSF - ignored from releasing. Most of the devoted players left.

Flashpoints - ooh, we get some new things. Sadly this is mostly run by raiders which left or are leaving.

Story - wooo, new content. Though I am not sure what you need on wiki for story other than spoilers.

Open World PvP - basically turned off with new instance system. Ilum was turned off.

Events - there's nothing new and they are repeating all the same events all the time. Check DvL event which is basically an event which rules them all.

Gear & style - torfashion does it

Crafting - sure, but because of the bots on several planets this is annoying as hell.

Daily areas - no new content for years. IIRC the last daily area is Yavin 4. Nothing new announced.

Strongholds - no new content for years, IIRC the last new Stronghold is Yavin 4. Nothing new announced.

So, tell me, as the most devoted players are ignored by RNG gearing(alt unfriendly) & take in mind the no new content for most of the game part(the only new content is for Story and Flashpoints), who would create the wiki and why would anyone do that? For most of the game you are OK with 2 years old information.

We had a good wiki with walkthrus. The developers of it gave up on running it though.

edit: I used the wiki for companion affection and see which responses worked best. At least with the old system. With the new system, you're going to get points anyway so....

Edited by dr_mike

Let's check, shall we?

We have following possible section of wiki:

Operations - nothing new in the past 2 years. New system discourages raiding groups. No new content announced. There's an ignored bug with instances. PvP vs. PvE balance... thus there's right now probably only Hayete(sorry, I probably butchered your name). Most of the devoted players left or are in the process of leaving

Warzones - oh, these players have to shout for many months to get NEW RANKED SEASON. A thing that should be automated. Then the rewards are so astonishing many players are returning(sarcasm). After several years of no new content we received 2 new WZs which are not generally liked and have some bugs. New gearing system isn't helping too. Most of the devoted players left or are in the process of leaving

GSF - ignored from releasing. Most of the devoted players left.

Flashpoints - ooh, we get some new things. Sadly this is mostly run by raiders which left or are leaving.

Story - wooo, new content. Though I am not sure what you need on wiki for story other than spoilers.

Open World PvP - basically turned off with new instance system. Ilum was turned off.

Events - there's nothing new and they are repeating all the same events all the time. Check DvL event which is basically an event which rules them all.

Gear & style - torfashion does it

Crafting - sure, but because of the bots on several planets this is annoying as hell.

Daily areas - no new content for years. IIRC the last daily area is Yavin 4. Nothing new announced.

Strongholds - no new content for years, IIRC the last new Stronghold is Yavin 4. Nothing new announced.

So, tell me, as the most devoted players are ignored by RNG gearing(alt unfriendly) & take in mind the no new content for most of the game part(the only new content is for Story and Flashpoints), who would create the wiki and why would anyone do that? For most of the game you are OK with 2 years old information.

That's not excuse, check the wiki. Even SoR ops or earlier content was incomplete. They gave up long ago.

GW1 already had a wiki and support from Anet. It's even part of their main website. In short, Anet has given more support to the wiki pages than BWA have ever done. I just wish GW2 was more fun to play, but for me it's not. I get bored there much more easily than here. Not because there is nothing to do, but because it just bores me more quickly.

But yeh, BWA have never really shown much interest in directly supporting certain player initiatives.

Then why didn't SWTOR have one? Even the non-official wiki was quite good for a long while. But SWTOR is a different story, the wiki was terrible ever since the game's release.

Sure GW1 was great, but GW2 was ok.

Players are good with what we have right now obviously. They don't need the wiki as there's no wiki. If you find the lack of Wiki disturbing then do that yourself.

I don't think so, a lot of stuff were still missing to let the players, especially the new ones to know the game well.

Presumably the answer is that those who care to run a wiki are not playing SWTOR.

Another one of those things where if the game was more F2P/preferred friendly, we might have more of these "lots of time to update a wiki, but little money" people around.

Instead, most of what we have are probably subscribers... the majority of them people who work day jobs and just want to play some SWTOR in their gaming off-time, not pore over a wiki.

Presumably the answer is that those who care to run a wiki are not playing SWTOR.

Another one of those things where if the game was more F2P/preferred friendly, we might have more of these "lots of time to update a wiki, but little money" people around.

Instead, most of what we have are probably subscribers... the majority of them people who work day jobs and just want to play some SWTOR in their gaming off-time, not pore over a wiki.

Agreed, I am a programmer. I read and write something on the PC all the day at work. I won't do it in my free time. That's why I haven't switched yet. The full voice acting is helping me not to read text :)

Typically you need a wiki if there are lots of secrets, those secrets are in the old wiki content (datacrons for newer players, or those who never bothered getting them all...and that's about it) It isn't like this is GW2 with a HUGE list of mystic forge recipes or something. Or labrynthine maps. Any other info you need the community typically provides if you ask here. Haven't done a boss before? You'll get a quick rundown from someone before the pull.

Really, most of what you would put on a wiki is story spoilers even for side quests...and given story is such a big componant of the game most never go looking for one unless it is a secret.

Ah sorry, there is the taunlet secret, and that magenta crystal recipe can still be gotten the old hidden way...dulfy handles some of the more questionable things damn well like the qyzen and lokin alerts or the tauntaun mount grind.

I didn't do much on the SW wiki, WOWpedia or GW2wiki, but they are so good there. I don't know why SWTOR couldn't get a wiki, and never got a good one after many years.

Easy answer: because other players are just like you. They have no skill/interest in setting it up and/or no interest/time to help maintain it. Why do you expect others players to be willing to invest more than you do?

We had Torhead for about two years but the people who started it and then the people who took over all left. Then we had AskMrRobot which was a database enhanced with some tools like gear calculator, which also died because it was no longer maintained.

We have Dulfy.net for walkthroughs, MMO-Fashion.com for the cosmetics and how-tos, SWTORdata for the item database, swtor-spy.com for datacron guides, and Google.Com for everything that's not covered there. It seems to be enough for most players.

Easy answer: because other players are just like you. They have no skill/interest in setting it up and/or no interest/time to help maintain it. Why do you expect others players to be willing to invest more than you do?

Because many other games got great wiki? What makes SWTOR players not interested at making a good wiki?

Edited by Slowpokeking

Because many other games got great wiki? What makes SWTOR players not interested at making a good wiki?

It's a lot of work and people prefer spending their time playing rather than collecting information that's already floating around on various sites, anyway, and can be easily found and accessed via google. The ROI is simply not worth it. You don't want it enough to do it yourself, and that's the same for other players.

because as KyaniteD points out...

We have Dulfy.net for walkthroughs

MMO-Fashion.com for the cosmetics and how-tos

SWTORdata and torcommunity.com for for the item database

swtor-spy.com for datacron guides

Dulfy.net and Torcommunity.com also provide good sources for news about livestreams, and updates.

Wiki's for the vast majority of games are run by fans. There are some Wiki's for SWTOR, but most never had a big following and weren't maintained. Jedipedia.net is active currently, it might be a good bet.

Honestly, other tools have emerged that have made a wiki redundant in a way. Dulfy is one of the best news sites out there, and has guides as well for ops, and complex mission lines. Standard missions are typically well marked and explain the objective, so you don't typically need a Wiki to help with those. TOR-Fashion and SWTORista help people find armor appearances, and TOR-Decorating does the same for strongholds.