Here's what a truly BAD launch looks like

Alyxa

I truly love the people quoting the "you may play up to five days early", who apparently never have seen a company get into hot water (legal or otherwise) when they change the statement, (In this case it's they added two days), which invalidates their previous declaration.

I've never heard of a legal implication of actually adding free time to an MMO. Please enlighten me.

If I tell you that I may come pick you up at 2pm, and I show up at 5, the unspoken implication is that I will arrive at 2pm, or at least by 2:30pm, not at 5pm.

There is no unspoken implication if you say "first come, first served" and explain how it's going to proceed, which is what Bioware actually did.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is easily the smoothest MMO launch I have participated in. I haven't encountered a single bug yet and haven't had to wait a second to kill quest mobs. While I do understand the frustration of people who are still waiting, it IS first come first serve. You won't be disappointed when you finally are live :)

Why do you buy something, knowing the terms, and then make an unbearable nuisance of yourself because you don't like the terms, and predict the failure of the company, the end of life as we know it, & cast aspersions on the probable ancestry of anyone who doesn't agree with you.

because kids these days are spoiled, rotten brats who want everything now, now, now. makes you wanna slap 'em, doesn't it.

If they say you "MAY PLAY UP TO 5 DAYS EARLY", means to me you may or may not being able to play up to 5 days early. So, 7 days out would fall in the may not. Doesn't may in this context mean you might be able to play up to 5 days early. Bioware isn't going to be any hot water over 2 extra days lol. As for first impressions, sure its a big impact. But being this is such a small percentage of the playing population (I am guessing based on how many of us aren't in yet), it won't drown the game. World of Warcraft had a horrid launch...and it became a monster! As for lore effecting how many stick with the game, like WoW played off it's limited lore from the RTS series ...come on lol

In all seriousness... the issue isn't that I'm not playing today... nor even that I probably won't play until the day before release (knowing my luck). The main issue, for me, is not knowing when!

There reaaaally should be a defined minimum EGA. Like, "You WILL get to play 2 days early, but possibly up to 5."

That'd be cool. Instead of just forcing us to sit around banking on the chance that we might get chosen to play, without any type of warning other than: "You're in! GET HOME NOW!"

Because lets face it. We pre-ordered for a reason. Not as a lottery. But because we wanted at least SOME EGA.

sigh.

I get it. I don't have to like that I'm not playing right now but I get it. Say they let 2 million people in today, server queue would be nuts. That one mob you need to kill would be camped. FPS would be unplayable. For the record, I registered Aug 1st 1 am, but did not get in today. The thing that does piss me off is that some people said they registered AFTER me and got in.... maybe they are full of it. I hope so.

There reaaaally should be a defined minimum EGA. Like, "You WILL get to play 2 days early, but possibly up to 5."

Actually, there is. BW stated that minimum EGA is 1 day. Which, I believe, got extended to 3 by the virtue of extending all EGAs starting today.

Edited by DrAidennwitz

You must have missed Burning Crusade.

Nope I was there for BC - In fact I was the 4th person on my server to hit lvl 70...I remember some loot lag...I even remember a crash or two...I also remember hitting that 70 within just a few days of BC Launch (I believe it took 4 days - I had taken off work so 16+ hours a day made for quickly getting to lvl 70 - sure I was a loser, but hey, I was the guildmaster of the top guild on the server...I had a reputation to keep :p)

I also remember getting to 61 the day BC was released...crazy how that works even with some lag!

Oh and I remember WoW's Launch too - In fact, I played on Mal'Ganis - which launch players of WoW would know was one of the 5 servers to be taken down for 4 days because the server hardware fried...

Amazingly - I made a character on Eredar and just kept on playing, loot lag and all...

I will take lag, disconnects, ques that end in hours (not days) over waiting for an email any day of the week...

Edited by Trevalon

I'm only going to reply to the OP because I'm not reading 30 pages worth of posts.

I agree. Yes, I'm choked I can't play yet. Yes, I understand their reasoning behind doing it this way.

I pre-ordered in August so I SHOULD get in tomorrow along with my wife. Thursday at the latest. Worse-case scenario, I still get 5 days head start.

I really only wish I knew when I'd start for sure.

Actually, there is. BW stated that minimum EGA is 1 day. Which, I believe, got extended to 3 by the virtue of extending all EGAs starting today.

Oh snap! Well I feel so much better, thanks for sharing that!

I was sitting here stewing... reading all the BW hate... got caught up lol.

I will take lag, disconnects, ques that end in hours (not days) over waiting for an email any day of the week...

YEAHHH I think that's the point everyone here is trying to make. I would much rather have a ****** EGA & get equality than waiting for a damn email. Or if it HAS to be staggered, just send out all the emails saying when we get in now so we dont have to keep f-ing checking >.<

...did you really just compare a staggered release to racial segregation?

Yes. Yes, you did. Fascinating.

Also, for a game of this size there's no such thing as 'equal grounds'. Any launch plan will favour someone.

But they are mad that it doesn't favor them. Sad really. Cry babies...this is the ****** part of an mmo.

BTW OP +10

Lol You could have downloaded a while ago, I saw no ques at all at my buddies place, and guess what this isnt a launch lol. The game launch is set at 12/20 US 12/22 EU, this is an early access they are allowing people into, not because your owed but because they allow you. And if you have ever launched ANY other mmo you would expect issues. Fail post FTL, way to go.

Guy, he's actually saying what a bad launch is and clearly stated SWTOR isn't one. You should probably read the entire post in the future before posting. Makes you look more intelligent.

The only thing this does is allow players to get out of the starting Area's before launch, but most of them will reroll and start new characters anyhow.
What gives you that idea? I mean really, who would choose to do that?

I love people complaining about people not reading the OP without reading the thread before complaining. Makes me smile.

On the actually topic, I am indifferent. This whole thing has plenty of pros and cons for both sides.

Lol You could have downloaded a while ago, I saw no ques at all at my buddies place, and guess what this isnt a launch lol. The game launch is set at 12/20 US 12/22 EU, this is an early access they are allowing people into, not because your owed but because they allow you. And if you have ever launched ANY other mmo you would expect issues. Fail post FTL, way to go.

You obviously didn't read the whole post.

Being an idiot should be bannable.