Crafting COOL Gear

Stultophobe

I'd like to see some aesthetically unique shells only avaliable through Armormech/Synthweaving/Artifice/Arsmtech. I don't want to use the gear I craft, or if I do I send it to low level alts and wear it under a different outfit from the CM. The Marauder Elite Helmet is probably the only item of armor I've ever crafted for aesthetic purposes. Most crafted gear is ugly to bland to mediocre -- the sabers especially.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I crafted a set for my vanguard - full on havoc squad trooper armor that suits the character very well.

That being said, chances are what you want ain't gonna happen for the simple fact that it would eat into CM sales and therefore profits.

I'd like to see some aesthetically unique shells only avaliable through Armormech/Synthweaving/Artifice/Arsmtech. I don't want to use the gear I craft, or if I do I send it to low level alts and wear it under a different outfit from the CM. The Marauder Elite Helmet is probably the only item of armor I've ever crafted for aesthetic purposes. Most crafted gear is ugly to bland to mediocre -- the sabers especially.

Imp-side Charged Hypercloth Force-Expert"s armour (requires-61 set from Synthweaving) is magnificent for Sith Warriors. Makes you look like what the Dread Masters *should* have looked like, instead of that black-and-yellow striped nonsense.

There is a top on my snyweaver that I have that looks nice on my sorcerer and dark side but for the most part these people don't know the meaning of good looking gear in reference to what I think looks good.

Like someone said each of us has a different opinion on gear.

Some would argue - NOT me - that "cool looks" = profits.

You'd probably be [one of the few people] not making that argument, since pretty much every thread on this subject devolves into (when it doesn't start out as) a complaint that crafters can't compete with the CM.

I really don't get people who complain about that. The devs make *all* of the items in the game. We can dye or unify colors, and add crystals (that aren't respected by every animation), but that's it. Other than the ability to control acquisition (by making it ourselves) or profit by selling stuff to people who can't make (or otherwise acquire it), what else is there to swtor (or pretty much any mmo) crafting?

At least the CM items in this game are readily available (at least on more populated servers) on the in-game-money market (GTN) and not exclusively through a cash shop, so grinding for credits and buying something somebody else got from the CM isn't any different than buying something somebody else made after grinding difficult/annoying content to get the schematics or mats. And if people think that the "coolest" items would be in the form of for-credits trainer schematics, they are wrong. Certain *craftable* items are still expensive because the schematics weren't easy to obtain (and are now no longer available).

tl;dr: Every time somebody says "it isn't about the money", it's about the money.

Edited by eartharioch

You'd probably be the only person not making that argument, since pretty much every thread on this subject devolves into (when it doesn't start out as) a complaint that crafters can't compete with the CM.

And when it comes to appearance they're right. BUT there is a LOT more to crafting than just appearance.

NONE of the item modifications that SW, AM, CT, Art, and AT can craft are available on the CM. And some item modifications are not available by any means other than crafting: augments and augmentation slot kits front and center.

There are no ear pieces, implants, and relics available on the CM.

And when it comes to appearance they're right. BUT there is a LOT more to crafting than just appearance.

NONE of the item modifications that SW, AM, CT, Art, and AT can craft are available on the CM. And some item modifications are not available by any means other than crafting: augments and augmentation slot kits front and center.

There are no ear pieces, implants, and relics available on the CM.

Yeah, poor wording on my part. I edited my original response to make it clearer (I wasn't trying to say you were wrong, since I agree with you, I was trying to point out that most of the complaints come down to people claiming the CM is screwing them out of money they should be making).

Although I should probably point out that *despite* CM dyes often selling for higher prices than crafted dyes, crafted dyes still make bank. #ArtificeStill#1 :p

Edited by eartharioch

Will never happen because this would:

1.) put in stuff that might actually be cool looking.

2.) kill EATOR revenue i.e the cartel market. Why do you think players cannot craft custom dyes not the ugly bs ones that no one wants but ones like Black/Black or purple/black or black/ purple? Its all about forcing players into the cartel so they make money what players want is irrelevant. True crafting is too hard can only be done in a sandbox environment (which SWOTR is not) so we won't be innovative.