The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Stop Platinum rarity

Grindera

2 main ways to get that kind of cash.

Playing the GTN (and being very good at it)

Buying hypercrates/packs and selling them/their drops on the GTN

If you do either/both of those for a long time, 100s of millions and even billions of credits are not infeasible.

Besides those two groups, there are also...

Founder crafters. I only craft occasionally and still make a lot of credits doing it. If someone has been subbed for five years and crafted daily having billions in the bank is not implausible.

Those who got in early on one or more of the exploits and didn't get caught. There are a few of those out there.

Patrons of Credit Sellers. The spam bots wouldn't be a daily presence in Fleet if there weren't a lot of players alt-tabbing to buy credits.

Edited by Aeneas_Falco

Buying hypercrates is part of the platinum rarity problem, that would not solve anything. If you're gonna buy enough hypercrates to sell for 250m you might as well just play the odds, it would be cheaper.

I believe the drop rate I've seen quote around here for Platinum rares is 0.2%. So being as that averages out to 20 Hypercrates (and even then it's not guaranteed), which you could then sell on the GTN and make enough for 3-4 Senya weapons, easily. So yeah, "cheaper" to sell the crates.

That said, I'm inclined to say that anyone willing to buy 20 Hypercrates, regardless, has, as my dear mother is fond of saying "more money than brains".

1. Only 1 plat item in each pack. Having 3 plat items in a single pack is dumb because even if you hit on plat you then still have a 1/3 chance of getting what you want. Put senya pike in one pack and then a month later you can do the normal saber. This way the initial supply of plat items is more stable yet they remain exclusive.

This would be a really nice solution. Rewarding Hypercrate buyers with something for their money.

Basically if you don't need it, you can sell it on GTN, if you wish to make money out of it, you can still buy more Hypercrates.

Some time ago there was a "platinum crate" inside the Hypercrates, which guaranteed a rare item from the actual pack, it could be re-introduced in this way.

Hopes and dreams, but worth a try...

I support the removal of platinum rarity.

Its *********** the game's economy more than it already is. Since odds to get platinum items is almost none people can only depend on GTN to get them. And with ****ed prices like those guess who will they run to get the cash?. Yes sir, Credit Sellers LOVE platinum rarity.

Remove platinum rarity permanently. Not asking to throw items for direct sale just asking to make them gold rarity so we all get better odds to collect the stuff we want from packs.

(Except for vented ******** that **** can stay as unobtainable or even get removed as far as I care lol)

I have a bigger issue with the packs and the gambling involved more so than the rarity issue although platinum rarity is defiantly still an issue, I wanted the Vented Lightsabre and while I was at it thought I would try to estimate the rarerity of Platinum and rare, revenge packs were on sale so I used those.

I got 7 of the hypercrates and did not get a single platinum item and got only 15 golds, I did not manage to get a single full set of gold armour.

So if i assume i get the platinum item in the 8th hypercrate, thats 1 in 240 packs or another way to look it at full price 1 platinum item per 64800 cartel coins spent, or in my real world currency around 1 for every £250.00 spent. This is just banana's, even rare items are far to rare especially the armour which come in 3 or 4(cant remember) groups such as legs, torso etc.

The problem is made even worse by the fact that once used items are bound and permanently out of circulation.

As one guy already said its just a gold sellers dream, why would I spend £250 (potentially more) when I can get the required capital for £125 from a gold seller, with risk ofc but these can be minimised.

The whole model is designed to milk money from the players (shock for an EA product right), Dropping the platinum rarity all together would be a start but the problems with the system are more entrenched and the system is currently such a joke im surprised you dont find cartel pack machines in Vegas.

Personally I dont have a problem with gold sellers especially when the game and companies behind them allow you do the exact same thing but with a middle man.

How is

Real Money > Cartel Coins > Packs > Credits

different from

Real Money > Credits

the answer is it isn't.

What they need to do is remove packs totally, form a players perspective they are crap, most of the items in them are crap, the odds of getting anything good are crap, the concept is crap and the execution is crap,

Simply put the items on the GTN, with price tiers, platinum 3000, rare 2000, uncommon 1000, bronze 500.

Sell Grand Chance Cubes for 50 each.

So for example if the Vented lightsabre is available in packs from 22nd month A to the 22nd of month B have the vented light sabre available on the market as a 3000 cartel coin item for that time frame instead of all this gambling **** and keep the grand chance cubes as the only gambling in the game and as a way to get out of print items.

I dont have a problem paying with my real money for items which are essentially skins and cosmetic, but when you bring gambling (which is what it is) into the mix you just ruin the whole thing.

Edit - in fact this is only mmo i have ever played where I have to gamble to get skins lol.

Edited by Jujubon

As one guy already said its just a gold sellers dream, why would I spend £250 (potentially more) when I can get the required capital for £125 from a gold seller, with risk ofc but these can be minimised.

The whole model is designed to milk money from the players (shock for an EA product right), Dropping the platinum rarity all together would be a start but the problems with the system are more entrenched and the system is currently such a joke im surprised you dont find cartel pack machines in Vegas.

Personally I dont have a problem with gold sellers especially when the game and companies behind them allow you do the exact same thing but with a middle man.

I'm glad people see the big problem here.

The main problem is people confusing with wanting something with needing something.

People don't need a purely VANITY item. People NEED gear that gives you all the armoring/mods/enhancements so you can fight. People can fight just fine in all purples and ugly armor/weapons. If you WANT something that looks better then you should work for it and grind credits, spend lots of money buying hypercrates, play the GTN game, do something for the whatever it is that you do NOT need but you do want for purely cosmetical reasons.

That's like going up to a salesman in a Lamborghini dealership asking him to lower the price so much that any poor schmuck can then afford one because they look so cool and everyone just "deserves" to drive/own one of them right?

Yes. This is true. These are just vanity items you get from the CC packs. You dont need them :) You just want them. I like to buy them for vanity. Not because I need it.

:ph_agree:

Platinum was just a reskin of the old ultra rare gold items, remember the white color crystals where not gold rare but said ultra gold rare, which meant there drops were fewer then gold items, though they rechanged some of the items rarities but that being said platinums replaced that previous rarity. Bronze item unlocks were 60 cc, silver 120 cc, gold 240 cc and those ultras 400 cc unlock pre 4.0 changes. So really its been in the game for a while now just a new name.

Didn't read the entire thread, I've most been busy picking my jaw up off the floor after reading the OP. I Just returned from a very long absence, had a ton of banked cartel coins or whatever to spend. I bought a hypercrate.

I got one of those vented lightsabers. Until now I had NO idea how lucky I was. Not bragging, just saying.