[Performance] Nvidia GPU Tweak Guide (2016)

Ferrety

As I recently returned to the game after a long absence, I noticed my FPS wasn't quite what I expected it to be, so I went searching for some performance tweaks and FPS fixes and most guides I managed to find turned out to be a year or two old and not super useful. But, below you can find a pretty easy and quick fix for Nvidia Users (sorry AMD) that I managed to compile together.

[step 1]

In-game, switch your Anti Aliasing and Ansiostropic Filtering OFF.

Set Visible Character Limit to the lowest setting (this impacts performance a ton and doesn't really affect the look/graphics of the game).

Make sure to run Fullscreen and not Fullscreen Windowed (This saved me a good 10-15FPS).

[step 2]

Download Nvidia Inspector

[step 3]

Copy these settings (Verified Working as of October 2016).

http://i.imgur.com/ePHcUl4.png

[Notes]

Quick note, you don't need to keep Nvidia Inspector open/running while you are running the game, save the profile and you are good to go.

[Reference Specs]

Intel Core i5 2500K

16GB RAM

GTX 1060

Current FPS: 90-110FPS across the board @ 1920x1080

And that's all there is to it! Hope this helps someone.

Edited by Ferrety

I know there's all sorts of reasons for variations in systems and performance. And I know that the guide says you should not run in windowed mode, which I prefer to do for various reasons. I just know with my gaming laptop, using a core i7 at 2.4 GHz, 32GB ram, SSD, and nvidia GTX 770M chip, these settings actually slowed me down to 15-20 fps. So, your mileage may vary.

I do thank you for linking these steps and these settings. I may have more success on my desktop with SLI-linked GTX 980 Tis.

• 3 months later...
I know there's all sorts of reasons for variations in systems and performance. And I know that the guide says you should not run in windowed mode, which I prefer to do for various reasons. I just know with my gaming laptop, using a core i7 at 2.4 GHz, 32GB ram, SSD, and nvidia GTX 770M chip, these settings actually slowed me down to 15-20 fps. So, your mileage may vary.

I do thank you for linking these steps and these settings. I may have more success on my desktop with SLI-linked GTX 980 Tis.

Just as an update, I ran the 1.9.7.8 version of inspector, from Nov 2016, on my desktop machine which is dual SLI-linked GTX 980Tis, 6GB DDR5 ram, core i7 4960X, 32GB of DDR3 RAM, and RAID0-linked SSDs. However, on my desktop, I am running 4K resolution 3840 x 2160. Using the default settings from nvidia and the game's AA and Anisotopy turned on, I get 60-100 fps in my stronghold and 60+ fps in cutscenes. Using the settings in the OP, I actually slowed down to 30-50 fps in my stronghold and 30-40 fps in cutscenes. Again, this slowdown is with 4K resolution. I'm not going to lower it to test the settings.