The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

The Jedi Code

Cuiwe

Sure it is.

Not in a violent sense, but using your emotions is a very good way in motivating yourself to do something good, or improve yourself both physically and mentally. negative emotions become harmful, when you let them control your life, instead of you controlling them.

If it were just emotions I'd agree, but having power and strength as the core mechanisms to to victory is just asking for trouble.

Not only should the codes not be taken literally; they should be understood as recopies for personal growth, rather than for societal growth.

The Jedi code and the Sith code are reflections of Eastern philosophies (i.e. attaining enlightenment and inner peace) and Western philosophies (i.e. striving for and attaining individual freedoms) respectively. It is a known fact that George Lucas was greatly inspired by Buddhist, Taoist, and Japanese cultures when creating the Jedi. It only makes sense that the Sith should reflect the opposite core viewpoint.

Having this in mind, here is a very simple interpretation of the codes:

The Jedi Code (peace - serenity - harmony - Force):

It's not about controlling one's emotions - it never has been. It's about not letting emotions control oneself. According to Buddhists, emotions and passions are impermanent creations of the mind, which are often compared to clouds or waves. They are considered to be illusions, which stand in the way of enlightenment and true compassion. When clouds / waves are "let go", all you've got left is "a still sky" / "a still lake". By using this interpretation, peace is internal, and not external (e.g. the absence of war). Letting go of one's emotions, gaining inner peace, and, as a result, becoming unconditionally compassionate towards others is the purpose of Buddhist meditation. It could be claimed that it is the purpose for Jedi meditation as well. "The Force" could be interpreted as the eternal spirit (or the Tao in Taoism), which is not subject to mortality, unlike everything material.

The Sith Code (passion - strength - power - victory - broken chains):

This one is so obvious and so close to Western culture that I find it amusing so many players consider the Sith to be evil and difficult to relate to. It is basically written in every constitution that acknowledges human rights. It is also a rehash of "The American Dream". Here is how to decipher it:

• Following one's passions = following one's heart and dreams
  • Strength / Power / Victory = succeeding in life by achieving something of note and by becoming the best at what you do
  • Breaking one's chains = attaining psychological freedom from other people - yes, psychological, not physical (i.e. making life choices regardless of what Sith Masters (parents), Allies (friends), Consorts (spouses), or The Empire (society) have in store for you)

So, the Jedi code is about gaining inner peace and the Sith code is about gaining individual freedom. They are both viable in real life because they are based off of real life :). I've tried them both, and I am sure every person has tried at least some aspects of each "code" in their lives.

I don't think it's so much of a difficulty to relate to the Sith Code, but whether people think it's a good idea. It is certainly comparable to western capitalist societies, however it is the raw, naked selfishness that is implied in it that makes people uncomfortable (even if they partake in it every day).

We see the results of achieving personal freedom through personal power and strength all the time (pretty much anytime we see a politician), and it either makes us shake our heads at the arrogance and selfishness common to those kinds of people, or we crave after those things ourselves and feel bad because we don't have what they have, which is an unhealthy state to be in to say the least.

There is also more variation on these views in "Western" societies than a lot of people realize. In the US you have the tripartite motto "Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness" which is what most people think of when they think "Western" and is highly compatible with the philosophy of the Sith Code. Other nations however, such as here in Canada (and I think a few other Commonwealth nations), we have "Peace, Order and Good Government" as our tripartite motto. While not specifically contrary to the Sith Code, it emphasizes more cooperative values, which don't work as well with the Sith Code. These mottos were fundamental to the US and Canada when they became nations and continues to influence political and social dynamics to this day. But of course, like all mottos, they don't quite grasp reality. LLPOH isn't all their is to the average American than POGG is for a Canadian. Under everything else, the Jedi and Sith Codes are just long mottos.

The issues that tend to come up with these codes is that just like in the Star Wars universe, they are representations of relatively extreme RL philosophies. Those in Eastern societies only adhere to Eastern philosophies to a degree, just as those in Western societies to their own. Just how extreme these philosophies seem will depend a great deal on where you are and the history of that place. Americans tend to be much more libertarian than Canadians for example, and the pure capitalism implied in the Sith Code isn't all that foreign or extreme. Personal mileage varies of course, but I see the Sith Code as promoting selfishness and heartlessness. Which incidentally is how I and a lot of others I know view the "American Dream."

TL;DR

The Jedi and Sith Codes are based on extreme philosophies that few people actually practice. They might be viable as mottos or slogans that guide an organization, but doesn't actually fit with reality, especially in more "moderate" regions of the world.

Edited by MadDutchman

There is also more variation on these views in "Western" societies than a lot of people realize. In the US you have the tripartite motto "Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness" which is what most people think of when they think "Western" and is highly compatible with the philosophy of the Sith Code. Other nations however, such as here in Canada (and I think a few other Commonwealth nations), we have "Peace, Order and Good Government" as our tripartite motto. While not specifically contrary to the Sith Code, it emphasizes more cooperative values, which don't work as well with the Sith Code. These mottos were fundamental to the US and Canada when they became nations and continues to influence political and social dynamics to this day. But of course, like all mottos, they don't quite grasp reality. LLPOH isn't all their is to the average American than POGG is for a Canadian. Under everything else, the Jedi and Sith Codes are just long mottos.

The value of being free to pursue one's passions and self-determined path is not a motto; it is the reason modern democracies exist. Before The Enlightenment this value didn't have any weight and personal freedoms meant next to nothing, especially when compared to religious or national ideals. I agree that the USA was one of the major reasons this idea was turned from philosophy into practice, but its roots were in Europe and since the 19th century it has been recognized by most nations in the world (including Canada btw) when they signed the Universal Convention of Human Rights. So, no, it isn't just an American motto; it is a universal value. I myself am from Bulgaria, and I cannot imagine my life without the right to pursue my aspirations freely in my country and in the European Union. Think about this: do Jedi have this freedom?

We see the results of achieving personal freedom through personal power and strength all the time (pretty much anytime we see a politician), and it either makes us shake our heads at the arrogance and selfishness common to those kinds of people, or we crave after those things ourselves and feel bad because we don't have what they have, which is an unhealthy state to be in to say the least.

This is a one-dimensional way to look it, especially if you read power and strength literally, which was advised against. By pursuing one's passions freely, one gains inner strength and confidence, which in turn makes them powerful. Anyone who has achieved something of great value has felt that way: the athlete, who breaks the world record; the computer scientist, who invents the next technological marvel; the director, who creates a cult classic - this list can go on and on. Even small feats, such as successfully dating for the first time, getting accepted in the university you chose, or becoming financially independent from your parents can make you feel that way.

So, no, there is nothing extreme about the codes. If you have ever managed to look beyond your emotions to gain inner peace, you have tapped into the Jedi code. If you have ever pursued your passions to gain inner strength, you have tapped into the Sith code.

• 1 month later...