Torn Between Classes

Breidr

Looking into making my alt, I started a thread in the new player section and the consensus was that I should try and Tactics Vanguard. Least amount of keybinds and an easy priority system were some of the reasons listed.

I kind of also wanted to level a Force user for KotFE. I'm leveling a Juggernaut, but I don't know if the class really suits me. I was actually beginning to look into Consular for on alt.

Right now I'm torn between a Vanguard and a Shadow. Both have the potential to be tanks, something I eventually want to learn, and have been said to have intuitive DPS priorities. Some have gone so far as to say you play a Shadow based on what button lights up. Hyperbole I assume.

Is there a clear winner between the two for a first playthrough? Does when have a lesser burden come endgame? I mainly here to see the content. I have no idea what the end of the line is like, but it would be a shame if I ended up shelving this character in the end.

Looking into making my alt, I started a thread in the new player section and the consensus was that I should try and Tactics Vanguard. Least amount of keybinds and an easy priority system were some of the reasons listed.

I kind of also wanted to level a Force user for KotFE. I'm leveling a Juggernaut, but I don't know if the class really suits me. I was actually beginning to look into Consular for on alt.

Right now I'm torn between a Vanguard and a Shadow. Both have the potential to be tanks, something I eventually want to learn, and have been said to have intuitive DPS priorities. Some have gone so far as to say you play a Shadow based on what button lights up. Hyperbole I assume.

Is there a clear winner between the two for a first playthrough? Does when have a lesser burden come endgame? I mainly here to see the content. I have no idea what the end of the line is like, but it would be a shame if I ended up shelving this character in the end.

what do you mean by "winner"? in my experience, the vanguard is much easier to play as a tank than shadow. shadow rotation is much more static and relies on procs for a large amount of their damage reduction. doing it correctly is not difficult, but when compared to the pt/vans style of whatever comes off cooldown, ya use that, shadow requires that you pay attention to your rotation. the tradeoff is that shadows get shroud (that is the imp name i don't remember the pub side name of it, sorry), the most powerful defensive cooldown in the game. they also have a couple of other attack type specific cooldowns, but shroud is the big one. using all of their cooldowns correctly gives a shadow slightly better survivability than the van, but van is a lot easier to play. i want to qualify that, though, by saying that the difference in survivability i am talking about is tiny, is very much dependent on the player playing correctly, and probably only a factor if you are doing the hardest end game content. the downside potential of a shadow is higher too, since a shadow that doesn't know how to use his cooldowns and rotation correctly suffers for it a lot more than a van. if this is going to be your first tank, i would very strongly recommend the van. good luck!

Edited by sumquy

Both are pretty fun and have a lot of utility.

A few things you should know:

• the consular story is pretty weak
  • the consular male voice actor is awful, so play a female
  • shadow is stealthy, so if you like that sort of thing go for it
  • also, a shadow can skip a lot of mobs while stealthed
  • Vanguard is your classic soldier-type, and in my opinion, is the better story
  • Do you want a gun or a lightsaber?
  • Start one of each shadow and vanguard, and see which one takes off for you.

In my personal opinion, I think vanguard animations are horrible and don't compare at all to the powertech version, which is top notch. Animations for the commando are great though and in many cases even better than the merc version. You also get an assault cannon, which, is awesome.

Everyone has their own playstyle, so it's good to give each class a try and see what sticks. For example I can't stand the warrior class, I leveled 2 more up for DvL with my finger over the delete button the whole time. It's an awesome class, has a great story and has more utility than most any other in PvP... but I just can't do it.

If you don't have a stealth character, I highly recommend making one. It gives you a lot of options to choose your battles or CC before a fight.

All tanks are balanced very well right now. In my experience, Sins/Shadows have the easiest rotation, because they actually have one and since it's based on force instead of heat you can't hurt yourself too much.. You can also spam AOEs longer without problems, which is awesome for trash. Powertechs are the most fun to play as a tank, since you're flame sweeping, carbonizing, jumping and pulling things. All those awesome animations go away with a vanguard though :(

ugh "consular story is weak" ... like soldier's story would be great...

anyway i agree with skipping mobs, thats pretty cool, but on the other hand once u get detected killing them is just zzzZZZzzz

and in my PERSONAL opinion: vanguard looks better than shadow and is more enjoyable to play as a tank if u're looking forward to be one of course.

in conclusion: i agree with the statement that You should try both, exp these days is super fast anyway so can't see why not.

ugh "consular story is weak" ... like soldier's story would be great...

I found the middle part of the JC story to be very heavy going - it starts brilliantly (no other class's Prologue is as EPIC as the JC's - the SI's is good, but it isn't EPIC), but the momentum is lost during Chapter One, and Chapter Two drags like crazy.

Noteworthy: I have a number of sages and shadows stalled somewhere on Taris or late Coruscant.

Noteworthy: my first character was a shadow. It took me three years to work up the enthusiasm to drag her through her class story.

The trooper's story, on the other hand, while occasionally improbable (in the sort of way that all Star Wars stories are improbable - distress call from planet X, you arrive in time no matter how far across the galaxy you must travel), flows much better than the JC's, and it is one of my favourites.

If you want a character for KotFE, give a slight edge to stealth. You will be able to skip a lot of boring fights.

lol no! all those skytroopers are unskippable since they put you in combat, stealth or not. that is currently one of the biggest complaints people have with kofte.

Edited by sumquy

lol no! all those skytroopers are unskippable since they put you in combat stealth or not. that is currently one of the biggest complaints people have with kofte.

That's not how to skip them. You charge through them all, and stealth out in the end.

lol no! all those skytroopers are unskippable since they put you in combat, stealth or not. that is currently one of the biggest complaints people have with kofte.

Not all of them will engage, only those that drop. Ones that are already in place are skippable (is this even a word?). However, when they attack, using "escape to stealth" ability will end combat. Only place I was unable to stealth through was Chapter 12.

• 2 weeks later...

-> The Consular story isn't for everyone. It's almost like Jean-Luc Picard "Star Wars edition". It's far from weak.
    -> While I'd agree that those lines that get reused("The Jedi way is to serve", "Anything to end this guilt trip" etc) are voiced in a...an unique way, during the storyline male Consular sounds just how he should.
    -> Yeah, it's also a very fun class
    -> Why mention it twice?
    -> Yeah, Trooper is basically DIY Rambo in SW. It's a very fun and enjoyable story
    -> It's a really good advice. I'd personally wait until this weekend to see what's going on with KotET changes

I added my own thoughts there. Also, Consular is a Male, most likely a Human male, so there you have it. It's also linked to the Jedi Knight series, at leat the Jedi Academy. So...yeah. Enjoy!

Edit: Sorry that I can't advise you. It's because those are my top 2 stories and choosing between them is very difficult. But between Vanguard and Shadow? I'd say a Shadow. It's more fun, it's better implemented^, but it doesn't really fit the Consular story(at least it doesn't for the first chapter, other 2 are way more open in this sense).

^ Vanguard and PowerTech oughta be kinda like Iron Man or Warmachine, not like they're currently implemented. It's especially silly on Vanguard side where you shoot Plasma and what not from your Rifle. I mean, they really failed with those two. Unarmed(2 Generators / Foci?) would be better...both for Vanguard and Sage.

Edited by Cuiwe

I added my own thoughts there. Also, Consular is a Male, most likely a Human male, so there you have it. It's also linked to the Jedi Knight series, at leat the Jedi Academy. So...yeah. Enjoy!

Um. My Consulars are, with one exception that I haven't played in ages, all female, and several of them are Mirialans. Female Mirialans.

There is no "canon" species or sex for the characters. Here, I'm not getting into any discussions of whether anything in SWTOR is "canon" in the sense of being "official" facts. All I'm saying is that there is no one definitive nature of any of the eight classes. (Granted, Sith Warrior makes marginally more sense if you are human, PBS, or cyborg (partially-cybernetic human), while Sith Inquisitor makes marginally more sense if you are *not* PBS(1), but those aren't questions of "canon" but of "lore".)

(1) My favorite SI is a Dark V BT1 female Rattataki Sorc.

Um. My Consulars are, with one exception that I haven't played in ages, all female, and several of them are Mirialans. Female Mirialans.

There is no "canon" species or sex for the characters. Here, I'm not getting into any discussions of whether anything in SWTOR is "canon" in the sense of being "official" facts. All I'm saying is that there is no one definitive nature of any of the eight classes. (Granted, Sith Warrior makes marginally more sense if you are human, PBS, or cyborg (partially-cybernetic human), while Sith Inquisitor makes marginally more sense if you are *not* PBS(1), but those aren't questions of "canon" but of "lore".)

(1) My favorite SI is a Dark V BT1 female Rattataki Sorc.

I thought you might resist: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Barsen%27thor_(Galactic_War)

The more you know ;) .