Holy Crap....Have you Heard?

lightSaberAddiCt

EVE ONLINE

is going F2P.....who would have thought...

ETA on F2P? I always wanted to try that game but it seemed like a massive money pit. For now all is well in the shire where I am growing Bilberry Crops! Sounds like they would make a great Pie Ingreediant!! :)

ETA on F2P? I always wanted to try that game but it seemed like a massive money pit. For now all is well in the shire where I am growing Bilberry Crops! Sounds like they would make a great Pie Ingreediant!! :)

November. and it has some pretty prohibitive restrictions along with the f2p side of things

and they said that behemot will never crash.......yeah right :D

Indeed. Frankly they wouldn't go f2p unless they needed to. I'll bet good money that a sudden large influx of new players is going to screw eve for at least a year, given the effect it'll have on the internal economy, and when that gets screwed the rest of the game gets affected with it, like any real world economy. So, i'm not sure they thought this thing through as much as they should have

I've never played Eve Online but from what i know throug Vids and from friends... Putting 80-100 hours into a game befor you can really "play" it... Don't think this will work.

On the good side, no cashshop announced so far... But i bet it will come. CCP f..ed up with Dust 541 or 514 or something. This is why they had to cancel the VTM MMO and had to sell the licence for White Wolf last year.

Edited by AFacelessOne

Ok i do not know to much of EVE ONLINE, but for what i see of screen shots its all outer space stuff and the story surrounds your ships? I see no explorations of planets, no inter actions with other players as far as character to character go? I like games like SWTOR, it is a full Experience, you can walk around and explore, you can drive in some kind of vehicle. You can fly in things and go out into space and explore space. But it looks like all eve is just an outer space game, which is cool but, but it is just too one sided for me....

I mean am i wrong about this, is this more then just a space game?

Ok i do not know to much of EVE ONLINE, but for what i see of screen shots its all outer space stuff and the story surrounds your ships? I see no explorations of planets, no inter actions with other players as far as character to character go? I like games like SWTOR, it is a full Experience, you can walk around and explore, you can drive in some kind of vehicle. You can fly in things and go out into space and explore space. But it looks like all eve is just an outer space game, which is cool but, but it is just too one sided for me....

It's like the orginal X-Universe Series, just on a larger scale.

same here , don't know much about it..

what I do know , was I was told it has the Biggest ship customization down to the smallest details . So that was kinda wowing if you are into ships .

And that the thing that stand for a GTN over there..is Brutal...

That is about what I know . Nothing more...well..save for that old story of some guy who ripped off alot of peoples and made the news .

But can't say I ever looked at a gameplay Vid . The above scared me enough :D

It's a glorified spreadsheet, with space graphics, and worse than Marmite for binary reaction, you either love it or loath it, there's little middle ground, it's a gankfest outside of the 'ultra safe' core sectors, but risk is where the real reward is!

It has very nice modern avatars, which you never use :D

& two sub games which interact with it, FPS DUST and VR Valkyrie

There is no story & it sure as hell aint a themepark, think more of the worst ghetto imaginable and then scale up :D

On the good side, no cashshop announced so far... But i bet it will come.

You just we not around for it. ;)

It has very nice modern avatars, which you never use :D

Don't forget the

. If folks think you can't do much with the ships here in this game...

Y'all gonna love the forums. Wanna post a new thread on a topic that's been discussed previously? Enjoy your forum ban....

Edited by dr_mike

You just we not around for it. ;)

Don't forget the

. If folks think you can't do much with the ships here in this game...

Y'all gonna love the forums. Wanna post a new thread on a topic that's been discussed previously? Enjoy your forum ban....

Yer the captains quarters, but that is less used than just ship spinning in your hanger (look up the fuss removing it caused a few years back - it got reinstated 3 months later)

But I rarely look at anything but my Loki or Wolf...

Edited by GythralSWTOR

EvE has been around a long time and as others have stated it's a game you either love or hate. The majority of your time is spent in a ship though you can walk around stations; exploration is all through space though. I played it for awhile and flew capital ships for a corp rampaging through null sec years ago lol. Even with putting the time in for that many crew skills it never was my cup of tea. I respected the game however for what it brought to the mmo world.

Bottom line is when it goes free to play it's worth trying out. Just be ready for something you have never experienced before in any mmo. There is not a single other mmo out today that is as hardcore as Eve Online. One day you could be a billionaire and the next day your flat broke. Everything is up for grabs and everything is player controlled. There is no hand holding in this game. It is fully legal for players to rip you off or trick you into blowing up your ship (beware grouping in high sec). PvP/Coproration battles (aka guilds) can last weeks or even months at a time 24 hours a day.

In EvE online solo play really isn't an option. You can do quests etc in high sec but to fully experience the game and all it has to offer you need to make friends. You also need to be willing to leave your comfort zone and come to terms with the fact that whatever ship your flying right now will get blown up in the near future. Most people who try EvE stay in high sec and then get bored shortly after. Don't fall into this trap.

Anyway I could go on and on but gonna stop here. Bottom line if it's going f2p, give it a shot because at the very least it will be something new and see what you think for yourself. :)

Edited by AutoCocker

Wonder how much of the pressure to go F2P was caused by No Man's Sky and Star Citizen.

http://eve-offline.net/?server=tranquility

Change the top graph to 6 months. You can see a slight down trend but not a big one.

If anything, I would contribute any downward trend to last summer's mess with whatever that guy's name was who tried to take over.

Edited by dr_mike

http://eve-offline.net/?server=tranquility

Change the top graph to 6 months. You can see a slight down trend but not a big one.

If anything, I would contribute any downward trend to last summer's mess with whatever that guy's name was who tried to take over.

Change it to 5 yrs and you can really see the trend, probably not much change in players, just how many accounts each of those players subs, as mutli-boxing is the norm