Is the i7 faster in games than i5?

bliapis

I see benchmarks usually put an i7 as the cpu to test video cards with and perfomance, such like an i7 @ 3.2

Is that i7 faster than i5 @ 3.3 for games?

i7 has 4 cores + 8 threads, while i5 (if i'm not wrong), its 4 cores and 4 threads. If the game is optimized to run on multiple cores and threads, then you'll notice a performance increase with an i7 processor.

Ill say that it is, without a doubt.

Why? because I have two new cpus sitting in the same room... almost everything else is identical. Mobo, Vid card and Harddrives. i52500k & i72600k. So thats 3.3 and 3.4 speeds.

The i5 with 16 gigs of ram is running a touch slower then the i7 with 8 gigs of ram. Same type of Ram btw.

Had you asked me prior to hands-on experience, I would have stated that there shouldn't be a difference. Yet there most definitely is.

Edited by Endowed

I still run a 3 year old computer without i anything. There is not difference. I run it fine on high with Duo Core. There is no difference between i5 and i7 in fact some i5 run more stable and more powerful than some i7s. Simple fact technology has not caught up yet in the coding world. It is marketing.

I still run a 3 year old computer without i anything. There is not difference. I run it fine on high with Duo Core. There is no difference between i5 and i7 in fact some i5 run more stable and more powerful than some i7s. Simple fact technology has not caught up yet in the coding world. It is marketing.

Yes, this is almost exactly what I would have stated beforehand. Good posting.