Will Welcome Mails Get Me Banned?

Lordmird

Looking for an official answer here...

As a guild leader, I like to mail each new member with a welcome message. However, due to the anti-spam feature, I cannot mail the same copy/pasted message to each player. If I deviate from the mail just a tad, adding a "hello" or "hey" here and there, will that still trip a "silent" spam-filter, and will I receive a ban for that?

Not official or anything, but here is my thinking for what it's worth. I like your idea of a welcome message for you guild members. I don't think you'd get banned...because you'd be sending 1 message per person. That's not spam...not in my thinking...spam is if you're bombarding people with loads of messages all the time.

If they can't ban the goldsellers that keep bugging me day in day out, they I doubt they'll ban you. Keep being awesome. :)

Edited by Lunafox

My impression (take it with a grain of salt) is that they get most of their information on who to ban from reports. So unless your new members are reporting you, I don't think it's likely to be an issue.

If you're real worried about it though, have you considered sending a welcome whisper instead? Or is too difficult to manage that way? Too many people logging on/off, not watching chat, etc.?

I remember back when I did guild stuff, we had voice chat, so we could greet new members that way, once we got them set up on it. But I'm guessing you're not using that.

My impression (take it with a grain of salt) is that they get most of their information on who to ban from reports. So unless your new members are reporting you, I don't think it's likely to be an issue.

If you're real worried about it though, have you considered sending a welcome whisper instead? Or is too difficult to manage that way? Too many people logging on/off, not watching chat, etc.?

I remember back when I did guild stuff, we had voice chat, so we could greet new members that way, once we got them set up on it. But I'm guessing you're not using that.

There is also the Guild Message of the Day (or however long you want it there for) where you can have a permanent welcome to new members.

Although, I'm guessing you're not just messaging people with a "Hi" but maybe something more like, "Hi, I'm GuildleaderRank of Guild, and I try to make a point to welcome every new member of the guild. If at any time, you have questions or need help, type it out in /guild or /whisper yourusernamehere and we'll be happy to help out where we can." Or something. I doubt people would report that as spam.

If I deviate from the mail just a tad, adding a "hello" or "hey" here and there, will that still trip a "silent" spam-filter, and will I receive a ban for that?

Appears not to. I know in other games like DCUO, the spammers are throwing in a number to their copy and paste text to throw off the anti spam filters. The bots here in this game aren't even doing that....

I'd go for the MOTD and point folks to a website. With a website, your rules apply and you dont have to worry about it.