The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Making packs less painful?

Rolodome

Cause it's obvious packs aren't going anywhere, I suggest considering a pack system/option that works something like this: Players can choose to buy an alternate version of a pack that gives out random items of a particular category.

Using Battler Pack as example, since it's the first that comes to mind... instead of just pack/supercrate/hypercrate, you have versions like Battler Weapons Pack, Battler Armor Pack, Battler Decoration Pack, Battler Mount Pack, etc.

Also, any Grand Chance Cubes that dropped from these would match the specified category type. So if it's a Deco Pack, the Grand Chance Cube would be a pool of any old Deco. That kind of thing.

Using myself an example, I love armor sets, but I have very little interest in decorations. Limited interest in weapons and color crystals, little interest in mounts.

So for a guy like me, that makes packs very unappealing. It becomes not just a matter of not wanting to mess with RNG, but not wanting to get a bunch of stuff that I have no interest in.

Addressing the obvious:

Yes, this would make it easier to get certain items. But, if one wants a variety of rare items, the normal packs are still going to be the way to go.

Yes, it would bloat the CM pack display somewhat. I know, you don't want to crowd the shelf. So hide it in miscellaneous or something.

Would it actually hurt or help revenue? I don't know, that's what paying a metrics guy is for. :p People in the kind of situation I'm in might be more likely to buy if they can choose a category like that. Others might get what they want more quickly and buy less. It's all speculative without running any numbers.

I say, consider trying it for a month or so (or even a week) and see what happens. If it doesn't work, you can shelve it. It's not like you haven't done that kind of thing in the past with CM features. ;)

I really like this idea but for the sake of balance I think we would have to see a marked decrease in drop rates on all items for those particular packs.

Mm. Fair point. How bout a 2-3 pack combination of latest ones? (ex: Battler, Gemini, DvL) So that the pool of items isn't stupidly small.

It's called "Grand Packs", sometimes known as "BSG packs" (Bronze/Silver/Gold). They are more like "focussed" chance cubes than conventional packs. They come and go from the CM.

Pretty sure grand packs are not what I described in the OP.

Pretty sure grand packs are not what I described in the OP.

Hmm. You described a 'themed" pack, one that contains, say, armour only. The Grand Packs were themed. The main difference was that Grand Packs still covered the whole range of, say, armour, rather than just one "main" pack's worth. Whatever.

What you suggested isn't a bad idea from our end of things, but I think it would cause a loss of pack sales - people will buy enough to find the desirable thing they want, and then stop, and that would take fewer packs than it does with conventional packs. For that reason, I don't think we'll see this. Shame.