The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Why do I have to log out to switch between my alts?

DracoPsi

Meh. It's like that on every MMORPG I've ever played, except Dofus. There, they added a "quick switch" option that allowed you to pick a new character from a menu on the "change character" button.

There was still a loading delay (although not very long because Dofus isn't very demanding in terms of system resources).

Diablo 3 did it a little differently , you could stay in group and switch toons, and come right back. I know D3 isn't an MMO, but it was pretty cool doing it that way.

Also, if you were in a guild, all your toons were in that same guild, you had the same name whenever you logged in and you were the only one that saw your characters name.

Meh. It's like that on every MMORPG I've ever played...

this. The character selection screen is the norm.

Of course there have been games where you only have one character (SWG), or there is no time to run an alt (EQ1 - when I played that game it was nigh impossible to play an alt because there was always something to do on your "main" (usually along the lines of "One more AA point and then I am done....OH ***** new expansion new AAs (or worse: new level cap AND new AAs)" :p))

Going to the character select screen isn't "logging out." if you have to actually log out to switch characters, that's a pretty serious bug and you should be contacting support.

The fact is that the button to click to go back to the character selection screen is called "Log off" Yes it is semantics but the OP is right.

Switching characters to actually play the character doesn't bother me much. What does bother me though is not being able to see my other currency or other gear unless I go to each character and log in to physically check each character. Would be nice if we could check gear somehow without going back and forth, a lot of other games either allow addons or have tools to accomplish this. Edited by Airehn

Switching characters to actually play the character doesn't bother me much. What does bother me though is not being able to see my other currency or other gear unless I go to each character and log in to physically check each character. Would be nice if we could check gear somehow without going back and forth, a lot of other games either allow addons or have tools to accomplish this.

For currency, my policy is to have a fixed amount on each character at the start of a week...except one. For me that fixed amount is 500k. That amount allows me to buy/pay for just about any common credit sink I need on a specific character (repair bills, augmentation slot kit installation, item modification switching). "Pure gatherer" characters (ones with no crafting skill) will usually lose credits over the week as I spend credits on missions for materials. My crafting characters will make credits over the week as I craft and sell on the GTN. Each week I send surplus to my main, and then send credits from my main to those with a deficit. The rest stays on my main. Any and all extremely large purchases I will make on that character.

As for who has what gear, I and many of my guildmates us some sort of spreadsheet. It is a manual process to get it started, but once you have it, it is easy to maintain.

All being said, I would not be adverse to an in-game method of viewing basic character information like this without having to log out and back in :)

In GTA:V you can switch between the 3 single player characters to our online character from a fast switch feature in game, being single or multi players.

But most MMO's you have to log out to switch. It's not an issue with the game. It's an issue with you not having no patience to wait a moment for the switch. So practice your patience and you will build on your tolerance.

Take Care and Be Well......

Edited by Sith-Viscera