The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, coming this December (2016)

Falensawino

Official Teaser trailer:

ROGUE ONE: A STAR WARS STORY Official Teaser Trailer

37,692,213 views 2 months ago

uploaded by Star Wars

{view count taken at 12:52 AM US Eastern time on Friday, June 10, 2016}

Based on the teaser alone:

Soundtrack already sounds excellent. Piano keyed themes. 0:05 - 0:21 and 1:28 - 1:36

Teased a plot point about losing yourself in your actions.

What will you do when they catch you?

What will you do if they break you?

If you continue to fight,

What will you.. become..

I don't know about you but I'm very excited for this new movie. It seems to be a test pilot for non-force sensitive feature films and a template for future non-force sensitive games. Disney may be testing the waters, how receptive audiences are for star wars experiences without Jedi. This thought has my hype and excitement revved to the max. I've been clamoring for non-jedi movies and games ever since I saw the Empire kick the Rebels out of Hoth. Order 66 blasting down force-sensitives without a hint from the force.

Star Wars for me has always been about the sounds, music, special effects, ships, tech, weapons, "ancient weapons and hokey religions are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." It wasn't until Knights of the Old Republic 1 (2003) and learning the sith and jedi codes through video games did I take interest in the ways of the Force. Non-jedi stories take precedence for me because of the underdog nature of being a non-force sensitive up against a Jedi or Sith. Grey Jedi's are cool though.

Dark Forces series, Republic Commando and Rogue Squadron series are some of my favorite games.

The title of Rogue One may be an origin story for the fabled and legendary Rogue Squadron.

Who isn't reckless, aggressive, and undisciplined these days?

Edited by Falensawino

It's Gareth Edwards, so the visual direction is going to be absolutely beautiful, and the acting direction is going to be absolutely mediocre. The writers don't exactly inspire a huge amount of confidence either (although I did like Antz).

Everyone here will still see it regardless, so I just hopes it turns out to be at least above-average.

seeing as how some scenes are being reshot, RO will be dumbed down to make it more touchyfeely cuz it's DISney. there oughta be a LAW against DISney:mad:. gonna start naming ewoks after the 7 dwarfs?

We'll see - I'd be lying if I said the studio-mandated reshoots didn't have me wondering if the movie might indeed fall short of how good the trailer made it look.

But overall, I suspect that they are just aiming for a more "Civil War" mix of 'fun' and 'dark' elements, so that it doesn't fall into a "Dawn of Justice" level of 'everything is super-depressing'.

It's not like the only two options are "Grim!Dark" or "Barney and Friends" with nothing in between, making a movie less dark doesn't mean they're going full-on saccharine.

Edited by DarthDymond

seeing as how some scenes are being reshot, RO will be dumbed down to make it more touchyfeely cuz it's DISney. there oughta be a LAW against DISney:mad:. gonna start naming ewoks after the 7 dwarfs?

These arguments are always so adorable. You do realize that Disney also owns companies like Miramax, don't you? The same studio that made Pulp Fiction?

http://cdn3-www.craveonline.com/assets/uploads/2013/06/Pulp-Fiction.jpg

http://cdn.hitfix.com/photos/903264/Pulp_Fiction_Bluray.jpg

And Marvel?

http://i.onionstatic.com/avclub/5753/73/original/640.jpg

http://static.srcdn.com/slir/w620-h320-q90-c620:320/wp-content/uploads/Charlie-Cox-in-Daredevil.jpg

https://66.media.tumblr.com/6ddbfd386d4be8f93a3f1c2060c432a6/tumblr_nyc3w4gOF51thw23io1_500.gif

(For those who don't know, Killgrave's power is that people have to do anything he says.)

Here is what we know so far. The tale in Rogue One is loosely based on Dark Forces, with some name changes for key characters. Jan Ors is now Jyn Erso, and Kyle Katarn is now Cassian Andor. Why they couldn't just use their original names is beyond me. Disney owns the rights to the Expanded Universe, which they acquired along with LucasArts. For some unknown reason, they're refusing to use any part of it for the new movies, though. At least in the MCU, they attempt to stay somewhat close to the comics.

All that aside, I'll still go see the movie when it comes out this Dec. :p

Here is what we know so far. The tale in Rogue One is loosely based on Dark Forces, with some name changes for key characters. Jan Ors is now Jyn Erso, and Kyle Katarn is now Cassian Andor. Why they couldn't just use their original names is beyond me. Disney owns the rights to the Expanded Universe, which they acquired along with LucasArts. For some unknown reason, they're refusing to use any part of it for the new movies, though. At least in the MCU, they attempt to stay somewhat close to the comics.

All that aside, I'll still go see the movie when it comes out this Dec. :p

As far as I remember all of Dark Forces took place AFTER return of the jedi.

I thought Rogue One was the crew that obtained the technical readouts to the first death star and gave it over to the rebellion. Part of this is told in Battlefront II: 501st journal. One of the last OR if not the last mission in the Battlefront II campaign is about the 501st failed attempt to retrieve the stolen plans on Alderaan. (unable to recall which planet)

HERE it is Mission #14 (Tantive IV: Recovering the Plans)

touching aftermatch of Death Star I's destruction

My guess is Rogue One's crew will have a tragic end (not in this movie) but their sacrifice will be honored with changing the Rebellion's elite fighter pilot squadron to Rogue Squadron.

-----

We'll see - I'd be lying if I said the studio-mandated reshoots didn't have me wondering if the movie might indeed fall short of how good the trailer made it look.

But overall, I suspect that they are just aiming for a more "Civil War" mix of 'fun' and 'dark' elements, so that it doesn't fall into a "Dawn of Justice" level of 'everything is super-depressing'.

I want a tragic ending. That's part of what made Empire Strikes Back the most well received film in the series.

Star wars needs more anti-heros and tragic heros. I'm also looking at Sean Bean's record of on-screen deaths.

-------

am I the only one that gets tear jerked with these trailers since Force Awakens.

when I saw the Revenge of the Sith trailer, the storming of the Jedi temple, Vader followed by the 501st. I got pumped into action, anticipating confrontation. I was pumped and excited to see jedi fall. But during the "Execute Order 66," in theater, with the lights out, the scenes of friendly fire jerked tears from me instead of anything else.

I'm all for kicking force-sensitive butt, but I couldn't believe it... that was the way the emperor overpowered the jedi, shooting them in the back. I'm glad Clone Wars and Rebels showed some clonetroopers who resisted the cowardly order. In Battlefront II's 501st journal, the troopers lamented what they are being ordered to do.

HERE is the 501st Journal ( #7 Coruscan: Knightfall)

This is one of the heaviest entries in the Journal.

-------

These arguments are always so adorable. You do realize that Disney also owns companies like Miramax, don't you? The same studio that made Pulp Fiction?

Or Disney's accountants wanted to hike up the budget and "reshoots" is how it's going down in the books for the internal revenue service and securities and exchange commission. There's a grown up way of reading movie and video game news.

"40% percent of reshoots" is a very specific number for a journalist to obtain.

The special effects shots haven't been delivered yet, so this was a critical time to make a decision before the render farms start kicking in to deliver the effects on time.

Do you want to hear more from the J.J. Abrams Conspiracy Theory? Going to be dubbed the JJA-Files.

Edited by Falensawino

As far as I remember all of Dark Forces took place AFTER return of the jedi.

I thought Rogue One was the crew that obtained the technical readouts to the first death star and gave it over to the rebellion. Part of this is told in Battlefront II: 501st journal. One of the last OR if not the last mission in the Battlefront II campaign is about the 501st failed attempt to retrieve the stolen plans on Alderaan. (unable to recall which planet)

According to Wikipedia Kyle Katarn's first mission for the Alliance was the mission to retrieve the plans for the first death star, I cannot tell if Jan Ors was ever a part of that mission.

For me personally I am annoyed that I am loosing characters to cannon that I have liked in the past.

According to Wikipedia Kyle Katarn's first mission for the Alliance was the mission to retrieve the plans for the first death star, I cannot tell if Jan Ors was ever a part of that mission.

For me personally I am annoyed that I am loosing characters to cannon that I have liked in the past.

oh my g0d, imgur comments are so funny.

Maybe Disney is listening to fans or trying to reuse old material. If this is a re imagine of Dark Forces then maybe they could do something with Admiral Thrawn. What is even cooler is in later installations of the game series ... and help recreate a Jedi Temple to teach people the ways of the force. It also means we may see a return of some Extended Universe canon just re-imagined. I don't know for sure but this is my theory on the movie.

If this is true, maybe they will use my idea of Luke traveling back in time and impregnating anakin's mom.

found this here, http://imgur.com/gallery/mR3ov , while trying to verify the events of Dark Forces 1, my memory didn't go that far back.

Wow I think I was too young when I first played Dark Forces to even fully capture all of the story, because some to most of this is new to me http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kyle_Katarn

Katarn's first mission for the Alliance was the infiltration of an Imperial facility on Danuta to retrieve the plans for the first Death Star as a part of Operation Skyhook. While viewing the briefing information, he recognized his friend from the Academy, Meck Odom, as one of the officers in charge of guarding the plans. Katarn met with Odom secretly, and he gave Katarn information that assisted him in completing his mission. He also deactivated the perimeter, allowing Katarn entry into the base. The partial plans stolen by Katarn were eventually combined with those captured at Toprawa, on the Death Star itself, and by Rianna Saren and Zeeo after their battle against Imperial slave master Zarian Kheev on Danuta, to create a complete outline of the station.
Edited by Falensawino

I think people saying this is "based" on Dark Forces to any extent are probably drastically overstating things. Jan Ors and Jyn Erso have vaguely similar names, while Cassian Andor and Kyle Katarn... both wear a jacket. That's about it. There's no indication that there are any similarities in the characters' personalities, relationships, interpersonal dynamics, roles within the story, motivations, or with the underlying story, plot (beyond "get the Death Star plans" which was only 1/12 of the Dark Forces story - basically its prologue), tone, themes... anything.

The "rag-tag bunch of misfits" look of the group shots has me thinking this may be more of a Magnificent Seven story with a heist plotline, which is a far cry from Dark Forces with Katarn running a one-man-wrecking-crew siege of an imperial base with Jan Ors nothing more than a voice in his ear.

You could just as well say that Rogue One is based on the Rebel Dawn novel or the 'choose your own adventure' book Jedi Dawn (pretty sure Jyn Erso will end up having about as much in common with Bria Tharen as she will with Jan Ors).

heh, Rogue One being based off Dark Forces is just wishful thinking.

Oh my Gosh, you MUST be right! Those Dark Troopers in the trailer CAN'T be the same Dark Troopers from Dark Forces! Also, we ALL know that Dark Forces wasn't where they stole the plans for the first Death Star! Golly Gee Whiz Gosh! :p