So why are former maxed affection companions

slim_shady

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think some people are getting a bit too hung up on semantics. I use affection and influence interchangeably, even though I obviously mean the current system. It's like when they rename a skill, some people just slip into the old knowledge (I'm bad for saying Master Strike). The poster said they had Kaliyo at 30 and got her back at 10, that's what matters. The OP said his companion was lowered to 10, so that means he had to have had the companion over 10. I believe there were one or two others in the thread backing up similar stories. So that's at least a few people saying they had them above rank 10, and when the companion returned had them given at lesser amount.

Question is, what's in common with the people experiencing this that could be the bug? Much like the Inquisitor bug: It only bugged out on older created/started male Inquisitors in a relationship, everyone else could progress normally. Someone mentioned that unfinished companion quests could be the culprit, perhaps it's something else, I'm not sure.

Edited by Mykra

I think some people are getting a bit too hung up on semantics. I use affection and influence interchangeably, even though I obviously mean the current system. It's like when they rename a skill, some people just slip into the old knowledge (I'm bad for saying Master Strike). The poster said they had Kaliyo at 30 and got her back at 10, that's what matters. The OP said his companion was lowered to 10, so that means he had to have had the companion over 10. I believe there were one or two others in the thread backing up similar stories. So that's at least a few people saying they had them above rank 10, and when the companion returned had them given at lesser amount.

Question is, what's in common with the people experiencing this that could be the bug? Much like the Inquisitor bug: It only bugged out on older created/started male Inquisitors in a relationship, everyone else could progress normally. Someone mentioned that unfinished class quests could be the culprit, perhaps it's something else, I'm not sure.

No, read the OP again please.... and be aware, that's the only message they have posted in this thread, so :/

You are conflating SlimShady with Leelou... they aren't the same person.

Edited by leehambly

No, read the OP again please.

I did. "Bumped down to level 10 when you get them back in KOTFE? Vette was maxed out and now she is 10...have to re-grind out her level again"

That's rather clear. Vette was at maximum influence and came back at a lower number.

I'm not confusing the posters either, I said a poster talked about Kaliyo, and the OP talked about yadda. More than one person in this thread has said they've had issues. I remember the frustration of my Smuggler and Inquisitor bugs, so I'm open to listening to try to figure out what's wrong.

Edited by Mykra

I did. "Bumped down to level 10 when you get them back in KOTFE? Vette was maxed out and now she is 10...have to re-grind out her level again"

That's rather clear. Vette was at maximum influence and came back at a lower number.

It doesn't say that though, does it... it says max level - which pre-KOFTE was level 10.

If it has happened, its a bug and needs to be put forward as one in game. I, however, think the OP was simply misinterpreting the "affection cap" and how it would turn out int he new system... much like expecting your char to be at the new level cap when that rises.

Edited by leehambly

You only imagined that they were maxed, you didn't realise how much you were holding back. Now that you've had a near-death experience, and haven't seen them for 5 years, you realise that you didn't love them enough. You are now prepared to love them 25 times harder.

I'm not confusing the posters either, I said a poster talked about Kaliyo, and the OP talked about yadda. More than one person in this thread has said they've had issues. I remember the frustration of my Smuggler and Inquisitor bugs, so I'm open to listening to try to figure out what's wrong.

Conflating, not confusing :p

It's all conjecture until the OP responds

Edited by leehambly

When I started the Vette / Gault chapter there were a couple messages right away as it started:

"Vette has gained 10,000 influence"

"Vette is now rank 10"

And that struck me as odd because I know Vette had already been at 10 from before. (This was on a character that had maxed affection on their companions before 4.0 and did not level any of them up beyond that before starting KotFE.) It made it seem as if it that was the default starting place for her on non-Warriors and it was giving me that version instead of my own, or something like that. (Although she still had the customization that had been left on her and I got the gear she had been wearing dumped into my inventory. I think the gear was handled the same way with my Agent when getting Kaliyo back in KotFE, but I don't remember seeing the wonky influence and rank gain with her.) But there's no way to be certain that anything really went wrong there. That character is dark side and had ended up romancing Jaesa after he discovered that that was an option, so it was to be expected that the reunion was not a happy one.

Anyway...

A couple of days ago it kinda struck me; I believe I found the reason that caused this problem. The character still has a mission that qualifies as class mission in her mission log. Not the main story line, I completed that, but a class mission that branched off at Taris: You need to interact with various holo recordings on Taris to find out what happened to the refugees that traveled to the "Promised Land".

Err... That's the planetary story arc for Republic Taris.

Edited by Muljo_Stpho

When I started the Vette / Gault chapter there were a couple messages right away as it started:

"Vette is now rank 10"

That is a "conversion announcement". Since affection went away and was replaced by influence, with a 40k higher ceiling..... they ran it through the influence message handler.

Personally, I have not run all companions at maxed influence into KoTFE, but I have done Aric and he entered and exited at influence rank 50. So no issue.

Could be a bug with specific companions of course.. in which case it should be bug reported in game when spotted. Which probably will result in some false positive reports since some people are less aware then others what they started with, and ended with, especially with so many companions floating around in ones alliance these days.

Im a bit annoyed at the Companion Influence changes. We were told before KOTFE hit that "our earned influence will matter".

So I used up hundreds (if not thousands) of Gifts to max my companions influence level to 10 on all my toons. If I had kept all those gifts to use after KOTFE I would have been much better off.

As I have completed the story on my 8 main toons I dont have the opportunity to raise a comp to 35+ influence just through the class story.

A max rank companion pre-KOTFE should have come back at max rank post-KOTFE.

Oh boy, I have an absent LI I recalled, got to Level 50 and if they come back at L10, I might break my cardinal rule and actually call Customer Service to rage.

[for the record, I would rather have a root canal with no anesthetic than call BW/EA customer service. Or whichever Satanic cult they have outsourced it to.]

You only imagined that they were maxed, you didn't realise how much you were holding back. Now that you've had a near-death experience, and haven't seen them for 5 years, you realise that you didn't love them enough. You are now prepared to love them 25 times harder.

Still a better love story than Twilight, I guess.

the pre-KOTFE cap of 10,000 "affection" was translated into Level 10 "influence" and the cap was raised significantly.

This will be true of all companions.

This was one of the most ludicrous, if not stupid, things they've done with KOTFE. Took ages to hit 10 pre-KOTFE, especially when you tried to max all comps.

Now? Run 2 planets with, let's say, Vette, and she's almost 20 even if you start from 0.

the pre-KOTFE cap of 10,000 "affection" was translated into Level 10 "influence" and the cap was raised significantly.

This will be true of all companions.

No, pulling companions out via the terminal has nothing to do w/ story content- they are separate; just as (I think?) if a companion "dies" during the story, you can still call them as a companion outside of KOTFE.

This is not correct. It has to be a bug.

Since the release of KotFE my main companion was Vette. I summoined her by the terminam on the Odessen operation base, got her to 49 until the last chapter. The she was gone and after the chapter, when she rejoined, she remained still 49.

Since the release of KotFE my main companion was Vette. I summoined her by the terminam on the Odessen operation base, got her to 49 until the last chapter. The she was gone and after the chapter, when she rejoined, she remained still 49.

What part is a bug? You got her to 49, she left and you got her back at 49. What were you expecting?

Y'all are being confusing so I'll see if I can break this down. (Plus I'm tired at the moment)

BEFORE 4.0, the max you could be with any companion was Rank 10 (10,000). That's it. Nothing more.

Once 4.0 hit whether you did Kotfe or didn't do it, it got bumped up to rank 50 (250,000) that you could get your companion to.

IF you began KotFE right when 4.0 hit, losing your companions, they REMAINED at 10,000 or Rank 10. Nothing more.

So, when you go in with your toon, whoever he/she is. When you get Vette, Jorgan, Qyzen, whoever back you begin AT Rank 10 (10,000).

Now, if you waited until, let's say May 2016 to do KOTFE. Whatever rank/number your companion was when you began KOTFE, remains at that level for KOTFE when you get that companion back.

When I did chapter 13 on my Warrior, Vette came back as Rank 10 (10,000), because that was her max when I played my Warrior in chapter 1 on October 20th. When I took my Bounty Hunter through Chapter 13 and got Gault back, he began at Rank 10 (10,000) because that was what he was on October 20th/21th.

So, if you begin kotfe and the companion is rank 50 by the time you first start it, they come back rank 50. If you begin kotfe and your companion is rank 1, they stay rank 1.

If she was rank 49 when you began kotfe, and summoned her or got her back in chapter 13 and you didn't get her to rank 50, she stays rank 49.

You dont go into kotfe with a rank 1 companion and get them back at rank 50. You start at rank 10, they come back rank 10. You start at rank 49, they come back rank 49. YOU have to bump her to the next rank, 30, 40, 50 whatever. Bioware doesn't make them rank 1 before kotfe and rank 50 when you go 'oh hi again!' No free ranks. What you begin with is what they come back with.

"Vette is now rank 10"

And that struck me as odd because I know Vette had already been at 10 from before. (This was on a character that had maxed affection on their companions before 4.0 and did not level any of them up beyond that before starting KotFE.) It made it seem as if it that was the default starting place for her on non-Warriors and it was giving me that version instead of my own, or something like that. (Although she still had the customization that had been left on her and I got the gear she had been wearing dumped into my inventory. I think the gear was handled the same way with my Agent when getting Kaliyo back in KotFE, but I don't remember seeing the wonky influence and rank gain with her.) But there's no way to be certain that anything really went wrong there. That character is dark side and had ended up romancing Jaesa after he discovered that that was an option, so it was to be expected that the reunion was not a happy one.

Anyway...

Err... That's the planetary story arc for Republic Taris.

Your Vette was max level 10 before 4.0. After 4.0 10 is no longer max, 50 is. JUST because they raised your affection/influence 40 steps higher, doesn't mean Vette will now be rank 50.

You technically only gave her enough love/gifts/affection for RANK 10. They might have bumped it to Rank 50, but Vette is still only rank 10. Her max affection was 10,000. The max now is 250,000.

Game is working as intended. You got her back as she began. You went in with rank 10 Vette, you came out with Rank 10 Vette.

Your Vette was max level 10 before 4.0. After 4.0 10 is no longer max, 50 is. JUST because they raised your affection/influence 40 steps higher, doesn't mean Vette will now be rank 50.

You technically only gave her enough love/gifts/affection for RANK 10. They might have bumped it to Rank 50, but Vette is still only rank 10. Her max affection was 10,000. The max now is 250,000.

Game is working as intended. You got her back as she began. You went in with rank 10 Vette, you came out with Rank 10 Vette.

Huh? Sorry, You're a bit confused if you thought that I had thought the old 10k affection would magically get converted into 250k influence at some point (especially so many months after the cap was raised). I didn't gain or lose anything. I didn't expect to gain or lose anything. I'm pretty sure that I didn't even imply that I thought I was going to gain or lose anything.

The wonky business that I saw was that weird little message at the start about it supposedly suddenly adding 10k influence to make her rank 10 when it shouldn't have needed to do anything like that because she already had 10k influence from before 4.0 / before KotFE and wasalready rank 10 from that. The game did something weird there which kind of makes it seem as if somebody who isn't coincidentally at precisely 10k influence beforehand will gain or lose something at that point. It made it look as if the game just resets them and defaults them to an even 10k regardless of what it had been before.

And I don't recall any other companions that I've had characters reunite with so far in any other chapters or in any of the recruitment alerts come up with that same message. I only saw it with Vette. So that also contributes to the "this seems buggy" vibe.

That is a "conversion announcement". Since affection went away and was replaced by influence, with a 40k higher ceiling..... they ran it through the influence message handler.

Errr...What conversion would be happening there, exactly?

All of the old companions were "converted" in patch 4.0 from a system that was capped at 10k to a system that is capped at 250k. (Which shouldn't have actually changed how the data was stored in any way. All it changes is the maxValue constant that's checked against to make sure that the value never gets set higher than intended. The values themselves remained untouched. (Side note relating to the response to Eanelinea: The influence rank display was a brand new feature which displays an abstraction of the stored value. We didn't have anything like that before 4.0. We only had the affection value.) Anyway, several months later when starting the newest KotFE chapter there should not be anything that still needed to be converted. Vette was already set up for the new system, even if I hadn't been using her in that time.

Hmm... I don't recall any messages like this when 4.0 hit either... Although there was a lot of chaos in the 4.0 companion conversions with them dumping all of their gear into your inventory and mail. So someone could have been too caught up in all of that to notice something like this buried in with the usual login announcements. (stronghold keys, results from companions returning from crew skills, and whatever else.) Well, if that is when it was supposed to be seen, there's definitely no reason to see it for one character at the start of a KotFE chapter.

Edited by Muljo_Stpho

What conversion? All of the old companions were "converted" in patch 4.0 from a system that was capped at 10k to a system that is capped at 250k. (Which shouldn't have actually been changing how the data was stored in any way. All it changes is the maxValue constant that's checked against to make sure that the value never gets set higher than intended. The values themselves remained untouched. (And the rank display was a brand new feature which displays an abstraction of the stored value. There's nothing new that needs to be stored for that.) Anyway, several months later when starting the newest KotFE chapter there should not be anything that still needed to be converted. Vette was already set up for the new system, even if I hadn't been using her in that time.

And... I don't recall any messages like this when 4.0 hit either... Although there was a lot of chaos in the 4.0 companion conversions with them dumping all of their gear into your inventory and mail. So someone could have been too caught up in all of that to notice something like this buried in with the usual login announcements. (stronghold keys, results from companions returning from crew skills, and whatever else.) Well, if that is when it was supposed to be seen, there's definitely no reason to see it for one character at the start of a KotFE chapter.

I give up. You either cant read or won't read in context to what I was replying to. Your choice. Mine is to simply ignore you. I'm truly sorry that a passing message from the client bothers you so much.

Man.. these forums are really devolving over the last month or two.

Edited by Andryah

I give up. You either cant read or won't read in context to what I was replying to. Your choice. Mine is to simply ignore you. I'm truly sorry that a passing message from the client bothers you so much.

Man.. these forums are really devolving over the last month or two.

???

Something had stuck out as being weird. It was no big deal for me because nothing was actually changed. It just seemed weird.

But I saw this topic and I posted about the weird message because it seemed kind of relevant to the topic.

You posted that the game was trying at that moment to convert the companion's data from the old affection system to the new influence system in an attempt to explain the message. But this is blatantly untrue. (Of course, please correct me if that isn't what you were trying to say.)

I happened to see that and I threw out a post saying that the attempted explanation wasn't actually saying anything relevant.... You go off the rails and act like I've been in some big huge debate with you about something and keep ignoring valid points in post after post after post after post after post exchanged with you?

What...? Why...? *shrug* Whatever.

(You could have just elaborated on your point / rephrased your point if I misinterpreted something and took it in the wrong direction there. No need for any of... whatever that was.)

Edited by Muljo_Stpho