Investing in a new computer need help

KingOtoko

So I am currently investing in a new computer. I have pretty much set my heart on one of the surfaces be it pro or no.

I am open to suggestions of other types of tablets, but by the end of the day it needs good pen touch compatibility.

Currently the main focus of the tablet is fastish cpu 2-4gb of ram (preferably 4) I intend to use it mainly for graphic design, note taking, maybe some Unity development nothing too intense. However I would also like to in my spare time hop on swtor and enjoy some PVE, class missions or basic fp. I would not be playing pvp if anything it would be GSF which I doubt a surface could handle but that is why I am asking here.

Minimum settings is ok! I just want a smooth gameplay.

EDIT- Also for swtor is dual cpu or quad cpu preferred? How well does swtor utilize extra threads? If at all.

So.. Surface Pro 2 Surface 3 Surface Pro 3 or any other tablet. Which tablet would be likely to handle swtor on minimal-medium graphics and be enjoyable. I would prefer to choose the cheapest most efficient option. Id love to stay under 600 if possible otherwise I'll be saving for another month or two.

Anyways has anyone tested swtor on any type of surface or tablet? How well does it run, How likely is it to kill the tablet due to overheating if at all. If it does over heat are there cooling options for tablets?

Storage is not an issue swtor can stay on the main memory and my work can stay on the sd card/clouds.

Any help is appreciated please no trolling!:rak_03:

Edited by ElateChris

here's the only info i have for you

swtor is single core

tried on surface pro 1 and wouldn't run well; at best could only do solo content on lowest settings.

friend has new surfacebook and has had a lot of wierd issues with it. he hasn't tried swtor on it but plays other games on it.

Short answer: there's a lot more to CPUs than just clock speed.

CPUs vary in the width of various busses, the number of registers, amount of cache RAM, etc, etc. The main thing is the IPC - Instructions Per Clock. Two processors can run at the same base clock frequency, but if one of them requires more clock cycles to perform the same tasks, it will be slower overall.

Atom processors are aimed towards lowering power consumption, rather than maximizing IPC.

Ok thanks for the replies.

I am hoping to get some more input on this from people who have tested this.

If using a surface 3, with 4gb ram. What are the odds of an enjoyable gameplay.

If using a surface pro 1-2-3 either or. What are the chances for each that the game will be smooth?

I understand gaming on a tablet is typically not a fantastic experience by any means. However I have heard the surfaces have been really effective in being a all in one computer.

I have my mind set on the surface 3 since it has 4g lte capabilities so I am hoping I can get a mildly enjoyable swtor experience on the go. Nothing fantastic just being able to relax and run missions/dailies w/ friends.

However if the 3 is absolutely not going to work are there any ways to get the pros with 4g lte?

Thanks for any replies! :csw_r2d2:

Follow this linky to see a good performance benchmark review of the Surface Pro 3 & 4.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9727/the-microsoft-surface-pro-4-review-raising-the-bar/5

They include comparisons with some popular tablet/laptops on the market.

Personally, I would go with the 4 with i7, but even then... don't expect wonders in terms of performance given the use of embedded intel graphics. Graphics performance will be similar to an NVidia GT 920M, from what I have read. Processor should be plenty fine for this cpu intensive game.

Edited by Andryah

I run SWTOR on a Surface Pro 3. It runs fine, but I only use this rig when I am traveling, and rarely use it for ops, only PVE. One issue I do note is the SP3 can run very hot when the processor is taxed.

I think I might enjoy SWTOR using the Surface Pro 3 more if it were hooked up to a bigger monitor. I also find if I run it at anything other than the default resolution that the game is unplayable.

I suspect the Surface Pro 4 or Surface Book (with graphics card in keyboard) would perform much better.

Thanks so much for the replies guys!

So I'm thinking the surface pro 2 or 3 would be a viable solution to this. Seeing as how my main goal is doing dailies, pve, the occasional fp if possible and ofc the main storyline (not kotfe).

So this leaves the next issue, I really need 4g lte which apparently is offered exclusively by the surfaces not the pros.

I know I can get a mifi thing, but I really don't like that I would have to carry it everywhere I go and potentially forget it.

So, are there clip on mifis or something that could attach in someway to the surface. OR are there any other tablets that offer 4g lte/3g that is effective in running swtor that are also good with pen/touch input.

Thanks for any replies