GTN credit commision

benmas

when I sell an item there is always a small amount of credits taken away.

but where do they go?

why are they even removed?

They don't go anywhere, they simply cease to exist. It's a means to control the money flow in the system, in order to avoid inflation and to encourage people to set meaningful prices. It also creates a little ledge to make self-created or acquired gear a tad less expensive than bought gear.

It's 6%

It is removed from the economy, as it is returned to the game. While the remaining 94% is simply moved from one player to another.

Basically, this is a 6% credit soak on every GTN sale in the game. Modest, yet effective, considering how many billions of credits are transacted in a given servers GTN every day.

Credits are both "created" and "destroyed" through gameplay.

They are created when you:

1. Sell something to a vendor

2. Receive a quest reward

3. Loot a mob

4. etc.

The are destroyed when you:

1. Buy something from a vendor

2. Pay for travel

3. Pay for an unlock

4. etc

When there are more credits created than destroyed, you get in-game inflation. The purpose of the 6% fee is simply to "delete" credits from the game as part of the balance for all the ways they get created.

I have often felt that 6% isn't enough...

10% is probably the right number...

10% is too high. It was 10% in Rift (not sure if it still is), and all it did was drive more spam into trade channels AND drive up prices as people bake the commission rate into their list prices.

It's hard to strike a balance for MMOs, but honestly 5-6% seems to work pretty well from my experience. There will still be trade channel spam even then, but less so compared to higher commission rates.