So, BioWare, if you're going to take our RP servers away, can we please have:

Cedia

My only problem with no roleplay server is that you are going to have problems with people. I know I have in the past. Some players will come up to you when you are roleplaying and tell you that this is not a roleplayer server so you need to stop your roleplaying and if your don't they continue to stand there and keep harrassing you to the point you finally stop roleplaying. It has happened way too many times on different games before and this is something I dont' want to see happen here.

If they going to take the servers away then they should step up when there are problems but unfortunately I don't have the belief in bioware for them to do that .

With the demise of server designations, there are no "RP Servers" to which we may take our RP. That makes every server a RP server. Also, players were always free to RP on non-RP servers, so the suggestion that we cannot or should not RP on a non-RP server has always been ludicrous. Harassment is harassment. Ignore the player(s) and report the behavior. If that fails, just ignore (in the generic, non-game-mechanic sense) the harasser. I can (and have) successfully RP with a player spamming dance emotes in my character's face.

I'm not a fan of RPers portrayed as victims. We have tools to prevent/resolve harassment. We have options (e.g., RP someplace other than the cantina). We have as much right to play our way as any other section of the player base.

That said, RP tags would suffice just to make it easier to identify those willing/eager to RP. In fact, I find that solution preferable to restoring RP designations on servers. Like I said, without specific servers tagged for RP, every server is a RP server. I hope that allows RP to spread to all servers.

Didn't RP-ers get outfit designer and several strongholds and 1000s of decorations to put in them, and guild-strongholds and guild-ships as well as new CM outfits to buy, more appearance customisations, hairstyles and places to hang out in?

in the meantime, GSF ( for example) got this:

•The SI-04 Imperial Scout Paint Job now correctly unlocks in Galactic Starfighter. - 1st post in nearly TWO YEARS

PvP-ers only just got a (slightly buggy) new map and arena, progression raiders got nothing.....

IMHO: RP-ers, though they are an important part of the 'family' should be grateful for what they've received, while the rest of us are still fighting over scant crumbs under the table....

Lets see. Outfits.. right they take all the decent customizable armor out funneling people to the cartel market for those outfits. IE rl money. Deco for SH's and ships same thing anything decent is cartel market only. So we have to pay cash above and beyond even for EMOTE's but what do PVP'ers have to pay for exactly? Outside of the same sub as Rp'ers nothing at all. Please present your argument to someone more gullible.

Didn't RP-ers get outfit designer and several strongholds and 1000s of decorations to put in them, and guild-strongholds and guild-ships as well as new CM outfits to buy, more appearance customisations, hairstyles and places to hang out in?

in the meantime, GSF ( for example) got this:

•The SI-04 Imperial Scout Paint Job now correctly unlocks in Galactic Starfighter. - 1st post in nearly TWO YEARS

PvP-ers only just got a (slightly buggy) new map and arena, progression raiders got nothing.....

IMHO: RP-ers, though they are an important part of the 'family' should be grateful for what they've received, while the rest of us are still fighting over scant crumbs under the table....

/thread

Why do you feel that RP needs a specific server? While PvE PvP have distinctions on why they need separation there really isn't a reason for an RP separation. You can RP on either instance of the servers. What makes RP servers unique is the community, not the instance you play on. If and when they merge servers you can still RP with anyone you feel you want. I understand being around non-rpers can ruin immersion but as far as I know, it gets ruined by people regardless of server separation or not. At least that was the case on WoW.

Why do you feel that RP needs a specific server? While PvE PvP have distinctions on why they need separation there really isn't a reason for an RP separation. You can RP on either instance of the servers. What makes RP servers unique is the community, not the instance you play on. If and when they merge servers you can still RP with anyone you feel you want. I understand being around non-rpers can ruin immersion but as far as I know, it gets ruined by people regardless of server separation or not. At least that was the case on WoW.

My first experience with MMO's that had specific RP servers was EQ1, and there was a specific rule set. While that might not be THE first instance of an Rp server the server type seems to have stuck around thru the genre. The main reason I think is as you already pointed out, and that is the type of people that usually play on an RP server.

I'm so happy we have copy and paste.

Contrary to popular belief, roleplayers do not have a built in radar that allows them to find other roleplayers.

With the demise of server designations, there are no "RP Servers" to which we may take our RP. That makes every server a RP server. Also, players were always free to RP on non-RP servers, so the suggestion that we cannot or should not RP on a non-RP server has always been ludicrous. Harassment is harassment. Ignore the player(s) and report the behavior. If that fails, just ignore (in the generic, non-game-mechanic sense) the harasser. I can (and have) successfully RP with a player spamming dance emotes in my character's face.

I'm not a fan of RPers portrayed as victims. We have tools to prevent/resolve harassment. We have options (e.g., RP someplace other than the cantina). We have as much right to play our way as any other section of the player base.

That said, RP tags would suffice just to make it easier to identify those willing/eager to RP. In fact, I find that solution preferable to restoring RP designations on servers. Like I said, without specific servers tagged for RP, every server is a RP server. I hope that allows RP to spread to all servers.

Based on your way of thinking there is no reason for a PvP server or instance either.

since i havnt been able to log in...fill me in...

I know they did the instance with PVE and PVP, but have they also done away with RP for specific servers? I have been desperately trying to get engaged with that for a long time time, but log in time is limited and its not contribute well to being actively involved with an RP, but i seriously would love to get involved. i was stalking one guild a while back, at least thats what it felt like, but....

TL;IL: is it just server name now without type?

Do hoods work with the hide headgear checkbox? That's what I was talking about. Instead of having to open two character screens (one for us and one for companion) and uncheck the boxes, we should have a keystroke command.

Sort of. Depends how you see "works with hide headgear checkbox". If, for example, you have an obtrusive hat and a hooded top, the hood disappears, but you'll have that hat on. If you hide the hat, poof! the hood goes up. Now, if i want the hat off and the hood down... well that doesn't work.

It'd be nice to be able to:

1. have the hat
  2. have just the hood up
  3. have neither hood up nor hat on.

INB4 "i want hood up and hat on!

Edited by TikkyLightmaker

My first experience with MMO's that had specific RP servers was EQ1, and there was a specific rule set.

EQ1 was a long time ago when it launched and at that time, it was common for MMOs to enforce RP rule sets.

Problem with modern MMOs is there is that in most cases no RP rule set enforced for RP designated servers. This MMO has never had an RP rule set on RP servers. If they did, then yes, it would make sense to have separate RP instances. But it does not. Which is why this discussion is largely a waste of time, regardless how much the OP stomps feet and digs-in with role playing in the forum as helpless and spamming the "RP radar" meme.

Now.. perhaps the studio will at some point put an RP flag into the game that characters could set to display that they RP. But that's about it for any future flagging I suspect.

Edited by Andryah

I'm so happy we have copy and paste.

Neither do PvPers or PvErs they have to find each other to do content or things together. Not seeing your point? If you want to RP with others you form a community of like mind individuals and do it. Same as a PvPer who wants to play a ranked team or a PvEr who wants to Raid or do flashpoints.

Edited by spectreclees

Neither do PvPers or PvErs they have to find each other to do content or things together. Not seeing your point? If you want to RP with others you form a community of like mind individuals and do it. Same as a PvPer who wants to play a ranked team or a PvEr who wants to Raid or do flashpoints.

Hmm... so where is the menu for LFRP while there is a LFG tool and a PvP tool to find matches? Maybe that will be one of the RP tools added, we can hope.

since i havnt been able to log in...fill me in...

I know they did the instance with PVE and PVP, but have they also done away with RP for specific servers? I have been desperately trying to get engaged with that for a long time time, but log in time is limited and its not contribute well to being actively involved with an RP, but i seriously would love to get involved. i was stalking one guild a while back, at least thats what it felt like, but....

TL;IL: is it just server name now without type?

Yes, exactly. Servers originally had PvE, PvP, or RP in front of their names. BioWare took away the tags because they no longer felt they were applicable because they put "focus" in.

EQ1 was a long time ago when it launched and at that time, it was common for MMOs to enforce RP rule sets.

Problem with modern MMOs is there is that in most cases no RP rule set enforced for RP designated servers. This MMO has never had an RP rule set on RP servers. If they did, then yes, it would make sense to have separate RP instances. But it does not. Which is why this discussion is largely a waste of time, regardless how much the OP stomps feet and digs-in with role playing in the forum as helpless and spamming the "RP radar" meme.

Yeah, I get it. Rolepaying and finding other roleplayers is a "waste of time" FOR YOU.

Except PvE and PvP playstyles have the abovementioned "focus", while the roleplayers had their tag taken away.

Edited by Cedia

Yeah, I get it. Rolepaying and finding other roleplayers is a "waste of time" FOR YOU.

Not at all. But hey.. you keep digging in and not listening if that is your preferred lifestyle. ;)

I find RP players all the time on the RP server I play on..... even after the RP tag disappeared. I see them in chat, I even see them on Fleet and in cantina's having a good time. I even run across them on non RP servers that I play on as well. Let me repeat that last sentence... I even run across them on non RP servers that I play on... and I don't even RP. They are not hard to find. And any true RPer that is new to the game will figure out within 30 seconds with a simple google search which are the historically RP servers in this game. And even if they don't bother, they certainly can roll a new character on each server, and ask around until they find a server that meets their needs. This stuff is not rocket science.... and you give way too little credit to new players IMO. If RP is important to them, it's worth an hour or two of effort to find a home on a server that meets their needs. Way better approach then taking some server tag as "truth".

You seem to believe that new RP players are somehow incapable of seeking out fellow kindred, by simply asking questions and communicating with others in game (which is the very essence of RP) :rolleyes:

AND.. we certainly do not need special instances just for RPers. That's complete nonsense.

Stop conflating this as some giant tragedy against RPers. Most of them I have found to be quite resourceful in getting their RP needs met without needing crutches from the studio.

IF.. IF... you are really so concerned about new RPing players finding a home in the servers.... why not start a blog about RPing in SWTOR and make sure it gets hits on google. The RPers will find your wealth of information and put it to good use. Of course your idea of such a blog would probably just be a whine-blog about how the evil studio did away with server RP tags.

Edited by Andryah

Wait, what? They are removing the RP servers? What?

They aren't removing a server. They simply took away the [RP] designation from servers like The Progenitor. It appears as yet another generic server, and there is no possible way for people who are new/returning to the game to distinguish that there is a good amount of roleplayers on the Progenitor.

In essence: It's not about any new feature to be added, but only to place a single [RP] tag behind the server name. While it's technically possible to RP on every server, there are multiple servers with dedicated communities and dozens of guilds already established, providing a better beginners experience for new roleplayers. People simply want a mention of that in the server screen.

A very reasonable request, and it doesn't consume any resources worth mentioning, seeing it's only a string change.

Edited by Alssaran

A very reasonable request, and it doesn't consume any resources worth mentioning, seeing it's only a string change.

It's more then that. They also have to modify the server select UI... which by they way, they may have plans for other things on the server select page that will take up space.

Note: I'm not against an RP designator on the server select screen. I simply don't see it as a priority when there are other ways to establish which server is right for any given player. I firmly believe in the old school method of rolling a character on a server and spending a couple hours getting to know it before committing to it... something no server tag can actually do well. Different servers DO have different "community personalities", and you cannot get that from a server tag.

Edited by Andryah

It's more then that. They also have to modify the server select UI... which by they way, they may have plans for other things on the server select page that will take up space.

That entirely depends on how the server select UI is set up.

If the UI places certain string tables into the required fields, all it takes is to add a [RP] at the end of the string array. If the array is thirty spaces long, but the name only takes up fifteen, then adding a designation like that is only changing a few letters. Just like they can edit the yellow flavour text without re-designing the loading screen. It's all just string arrays placed on a pre-determined layout.

I firmly believe in the old school method of rolling a character on a server and spending a couple hours getting to know it before committing to it... something no server tag can actually do well. Different servers DO have different "community personalities", and you cannot get that from a server tag.

But if you are mainly interested in an RP environment when starting this game, I believe no amount of playing on The Red Eclipse can satisfy that. There is a pre-established RP community on The Progenitor for that. Of course every server has it's own identity, but it's not as if someone mainly joining for RP can just join on TRE and stay there while finding as much RP as there is on Progenitor.

Edited by Alssaran

Problem with modern MMOs is there is that in most cases no RP rule set enforced for RP designated servers. This MMO has never had an RP rule set on RP servers..

Well at least the RP-PvP servers kind of had self enforced RP rules for the first couple of years. Many bounties were paid for killing non-RP named characters including all the XxX____XxX variants.

Note: I'm not against an RP designator on the server select screen. I simply don't see it as a priority when there are other ways to establish which server is right for any given player. I firmly believe in the old school method of rolling a character on a server and spending a couple hours getting to know it before committing to it... something no server tag can actually do well. Different servers DO have different "community personalities", and you cannot get that from a server tag.

Why on earth should new players who are looking for other roleplayers have to go through such a thing?!

I'm gobsmacked. You're seriously telling people that they should completely dispose of a few hours of their time?!

But if you are mainly interested in an RP environment when starting this game, I believe no amount of playing on The Red Eclipse can satisfy that. There is a pre-established RP community on The Progenitor for that. Of course every server has it's own identity, but it's not as if someone mainly joining for RP can just join on TRE and stay there while finding as much RP as there is on Progenitor.

Not to mention the abuse roleplayers have thrown at them just for asking on a regular server. (This thread is a fine example.)

Edited by Cedia

Why on earth should new players who are looking for other roleplayers have to go through such a thing?!

I'm gobsmacked. You're seriously telling people that they should completely dispose of a few hours of their time?!

Not to mention the abuse roleplayers have thrown at them just for asking on a regular server. (This thread is a fine example.)

Well if they're so in a rush that they can't take a few hours to get a feel for how much they'll enjoy a server, then they should learn to prioritize their time better.

- an RP flag that shows up next to our name

- an RP instance setting

- chat bubbles (it's a longshot, I know)

- a keystroke for toggling our helmets on and off, along with one for our current companion

Y'all please feel free to add ideas to this list.

After all, in the April stream they said, "RPing is super important to us but having a server set there doesn’t reinforce you to RP there. We felt it was more important to build tools for RPers to roleplay." http://dulfy.net/2016/04/05/swtor-april-producers-livestream-notes/

An RP instance would be relatively pointless. As soon as non-RP'ers figured out that there would be less people in the RP instance, they'd be all over it for farming nodes and open world heroics, to the point where it would quickly become indistinguishable from a non RP instance.

Rest of the stuff is reasonable though

An RP instance would be relatively pointless. As soon as non-RP'ers figured out that there would be less people in the RP instance, they'd be all over it for farming nodes and open world heroics, to the point where it would quickly become indistinguishable from a non RP instance.

Rest of the stuff is reasonable though

Yes, I could definitely see that happening, but ultimately that is the fault of the node and non-instanced heroic game design. I understand that changing this design would be a huge undertaking, but hopefully future game designers have learned these lessons.

Well, the best case scenario, in my opinion, is to just give us back the tag on our servers. (I'd really still like the helmet toggle, though. :) )

I wouldn't mind a RP button to toggle on but I dont think we need a separate instance, I think the PVE instance is fine. If there was some way to notify on our UI to other players that our characters are 'Flagged for RP' I would be happy.