The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Ideas to make FP appealing again

Hello,

I think they are fine the way they are now.

The main reason behind introducing Tacticals was to make these FP's more frequent. Now you can run one with 4 dps and you do not have to wait for a tank and a healer as well.

Having the old system back would only increase queue times in my oppinion and that would make the whole situation worse.

I like the old system. I just ran Maelstrom Prison tactical flashpoint, and we ran into several issues simply because we didn't have a healer. To me, the tactical flashpoint no class requirement system is really bad, and has led to several RIDICULOUS attempts, all of which end in failure. I think they need to do away with them entirely. It seems too lazy.

I like the old system. I just ran Maelstrom Prison tactical flashpoint, and we ran into several issues simply because we didn't have a healer. To me, the tactical flashpoint no class requirement system is really bad, and has led to several RIDICULOUS attempts, all of which end in failure. I think they need to do away with them entirely. It seems too lazy.

There are cases like MP (especially Grand Moff Kilran) where the TFP version is not tuned properly for a group of 4DPS, but those are few and far between. For the most part, I have found that a class with healing ability (i.e. sage/sorc, op/scoundrel, comm/merc) can adequately heal most TFPs so long as they are willing. But that's the rub, the player has to understand that while they may be DPS specced it is in the group's best interest for them to break rotation and throw a heal now and again.

There are cases like MP (especially Grand Moff Kilran) where the TFP version is not tuned properly for a group of 4DPS, but those are few and far between. For the most part, I have found that a class with healing ability (i.e. sage/sorc, op/scoundrel, comm/merc) can adequately heal most TFPs so long as they are willing. But that's the rub, the player has to understand that while they may be DPS specced it is in the group's best interest for them to break rotation and throw a heal now and again.

I was using a level 65 Commando, dps spec, and I was using heals. They weren't in any sense of the word adequate. We died 2 times on cyclops (simply due to raw damage, not because of mechanics), and we gave up on the terentatek bonus boss entirely. And 90% of the tactical flashpoints that I have done in the new system have ended in abandonment. So maybe I'm just a special kind of unlucky, but this is not far and few between. Granted, I haven't done a ton of them, due to the overwhelming failure rate.

Also: the wait times for the old flashpoints before this new system weren't anything compared to other games. like seriously you can find stuff to do in the meantime. It's not that hard. Doesn't matter what class you are. Dps(as always) has the longest wait times, but they are usually pretty quick about it. 10 minutes is the longest I can recall.

Edited by Saarthalian

As long as flash points do not provide an intermediary level of gear that is necessary for more advance content (Ops) they will not be heavily utilized.

Currently, being able to hit 65 with a full set of gear because of Legacy/bolstered ops (and to a lesser degree) coms, flashpoints are pointless for a large segment of the population.

Tacticals are easy enough to hop into and do, but the rewards are essentially non-existent. I run them when I am bored, a couple times per week. I only do so as DPS.

However as a tank, there is zero point to doing a tactical, and zero incentive to run HMFP.

As a healer, perhaps tacticals are a useful diversion when bored but again there is zero incentive to run HMFP.

EVERY time I queue for a FP Ill queue for both tactical and HMFP, I think I've probably seen 1 HMFP in the last two months pop.

I was using a level 65 Commando, dps spec, and I was using heals. They weren't in any sense of the word adequate. We died 2 times on cyclops (simply due to raw damage, not because of mechanics), and we gave up on the terentatek bonus boss entirely. And 90% of the tactical flashpoints that I have done in the new system have ended in abandonment. So maybe I'm just a special kind of unlucky, but this is not far and few between. Granted, I haven't done a ton of them, due to the overwhelming failure rate.

Also: the wait times for the old flashpoints before this new system weren't anything compared to other games. like seriously you can find stuff to do in the meantime. It's not that hard. Doesn't matter what class you are. Dps(as always) has the longest wait times, but they are usually pretty quick about it. 10 minutes is the longest I can recall.

I do not deny that 4DPS even with a DPS doing healing in MP is difficult. What I am saying is that MP TFP is the exception, not the rule. Go into just about every other TFP and your healing will be more than adequate. I know because I have done it. The only other fight that can prove challenging is the final boss of Taral V, but even that one, if the group has sufficient interrupts and uses them then it is no problem.

As long as flash points do not provide an intermediary level of gear that is necessary for more advance content (Ops) they will not be heavily utilized.

Currently, being able to hit 65 with a full set of gear because of Legacy/bolstered ops (and to a lesser degree) coms, flashpoints are pointless for a large segment of the population.

Tacticals are easy enough to hop into and do, but the rewards are essentially non-existent. I run them when I am bored, a couple times per week. I only do so as DPS.

However as a tank, there is zero point to doing a tactical, and zero incentive to run HMFP.

As a healer, perhaps tacticals are a useful diversion when bored but again there is zero incentive to run HMFP.

EVERY time I queue for a FP Ill queue for both tactical and HMFP, I think I've probably seen 1 HMFP in the last two months pop.

That is a problem with OPs bolster more than anything. Get rid of that, and "recommend" 208 gear for SM Ops and TFP and HMFP become a part of progression again.

What's the primary focus of flashpoints? To train people in their roles, or to let them play with other people?

Good question, and a rather philosophical question. And people don't like philosophical questions. :p

That is a problem with OPs bolster more than anything. Get rid of that, and "recommend" 208 gear for SM Ops and TFP and HMFP become a part of progression again.

Well, the Weekly already recommends that. Or was it more ?. And that's why I didn't do FPs / OPs recently - among other reasons - : I just didn't have 208 gear. You don't get it through class stories alone. You get much faster to level 65 these days than getting 208 gear.

And the Weekly doesn't tell you about Bolster.

we need other things to drop off of FPs like decorations, or credits to get an old Cartel market item, or something like that, ya know, nothing drops decorations any more.

Interestingly, the Prelude To Revan FP drops seem to have been removed. I don't know anyone who still got a Miauvorr or how these animals are called as a pet these days from these FPs. Or anything else that dropped there when Prelude To Revan way young.

Edited by AlrikFassbauer