Character name restrictions

October

"The" and "Hunter" for <FirstName> <"space"> <Lastname> are also disallowed. It appears some of the disallowed names are to prevent giving yourself a title alongside the Star Wars IP names.

Just a clafication if one wanted the name "The Charactername" or "Hunter Charactername" would be disallowed because of "The" and "Hunter".

Edited by jimmorrisson

I was able to make Jean Gray but it just wasn't the same.

Grey, Gray, whatever. My British tendencies driving spelling again, I guess. And no, it wouldn't be the same. It's a pity about Phoenix, though. You could have tried to use that name on a Sith, and by switching the game to French, you could have then become Dark Phoenix after Chapter Three. (For no discernible reason, the French-localised spelling of Darth is Dark.)

• 4 weeks later...

Just for fun I named one off my chars Play Mate, that's referring to the Hugh Hefner playmates xd

No restrictions there. And try Seks with a K instead of a x Works fine.

Point is they use American name restrictions (hell knows why) so playing with that will often bring solutions they did not see coming.

Point is they use American name restrictions (hell knows why) so playing with that will often bring solutions they did not see coming.

This is common, even for games that aren't developed and/or localised by Americans.

Example: Runes of Magic is developed in Taiwan, and Westernised by a German company. French players cannot talk about their cellars/basements (C A V E in French) because that word is used in English as an obscure euphemism for the female genitalia. They equally cannot talk about being late ("en R E T A R D") because that word is filtered due to its colloquial meaning in American English.

It could be worse, though. Trion did something strange when they localised ArcheAge. The in-game chat filter catches the names of some important in-game locations, such as the city of Austera. The consequence: you tell someone who still has the filter on that you will meet him in Austera, and he will ask you where you mean because all he sees is "Meet me in *******"

• 2 years later...