A quasi matchmaking in war zones.

TLCuddy

I'm not saying a 100% complete match making wouldn't be ideal but its really not feasible, so alls I'm suggesting is put a limit on support roles in the war zones. Basically I'm asking for the que process instead just checking for 16 ( or 8 for arenas ) players it looks for healers first then maxes out at two ( then same for tanks) then fills the rest of the match with DPS, doesn't require any tanks or healers to pop so it'll still be possible for 8 DPS in a wz. With Sorc/Sage healers being the fav class to play and almost half of them play heals its become more and more common for WZs to have 4 or more healers. So this is just my suggestion to help fix this.

Also i want to throw in another issue. Tank/DPS hybrids are a problem. Too many times I've seen Jugg/Guardian Tanks (and even some Sin/Shadow tanks) putting out more DPS then pure DPS classes. 15k hits from a Tank in a WZ is ridiculous and really need to have their DPS nerved. I'm not too sure how the threat mechanic works in PvE, but is it possible to reduce DPS by at least 20% in tanks stance while increasing threat so it doesn't interfere with PvE.

A more curious suggestion would probably be a lot of programming work, but what if Tanks had a mechanic that while in a tank stance that all targets actively taking "damage" from a tank would have their DPS reduced by XX% which would count for protection points. Not sure if I explained that well enough.

Anyway these are few suggestions that are among many to help out PvP.

Oh also cross faction for all WZs!

I'm not a PVPer but it seems to make sense to me. Basically it would be somewhere in between the rigid role requirements of the hard mode flashpoint queue and the first come first serve role-indifferent acceptance of the tactical flashpoint queue. Because it would be first come first serve, but there would be a rule saying that within each group of 4 (one team in a 4vs4 or one half of a team in a 8v8) there may be no more than one healer and no more than one tank.

Hmmm... What happens if 2 healers and 2 tanks queue together as a group? Perhaps the system effectively splits them between two groups of 4 (which could mean being on different sides of a 4v4 even though they all queued up together) and fills in the rest with whatever DPS are queuing. Or suppose that 3-4 healers all queue up together... I suppose they'd be guaranteed to be split up on different sides of a 8v8 match.

In the interest of queue times and cleaning up some weird edge cases though, perhaps the rule is lifted if too much time has passed since the last time the queue popped? So if for some reason there's this weird overabundance of healers or tanks and a relative lack of DPS to fill up enough groups for all of them, then you'd some some really healer-heavy or tank-heavy groups getting into matches.

A more curious suggestion would probably be a lot of programming work, but what if Tanks had a mechanic that while in a tank stance that all targets actively taking "damage" from a tank would have their DPS reduced by XX% which would count for protection points. Not sure if I explained that well enough.

I must be reading this wrong. You want to prevent tanks who aren't geared as tanks from dealing more damage than their targets... by making the tank's attacks reduce the damage being put out by their targets and not doing anything at all to the tanks themselves? That sounds very bass ackwards.

Although it sounds a bit like the debuffs that certain abilities inflict. DPS have ways to lower their opponent's defenses, healers have ways to provide extra protection for their allies, and tanks have ways to impair their opponent's damage output.

Shouldn't the suggestion be something more like... Tank stance makes it so that all of the tank's attacks inflict a short buff (just a few seconds, but obviously so long as the tank keeps attacking it'll keep refreshing the buff) on player targets (not NPCs) which protects them from damage taken from the tank (and only from the tank)?

Or... Okay, I'm not clear on the specifics (like what sort of scale the numbers work on / how much precisely you get from any action) behind threat generation either (doesn't help that the only indicator you ever really have over any of it is who the enemies are currently targeting) but I'm going to try to spell out a PVP interpretation of it anyway... Suppose that for anything that generates threat (which is basically damage and healing output with a multiplier to inflate the rate at which tanks generate it, I think) let's say that we see that as a stack being gained on a debuff. (Maybe implement this as a third tray to keep its clutter away from the already cluttered buff and debuff trays...)

Perhaps on NPCs this debuff will just remain as it is and the game uses the number of stacks exactly the same as whatever's going on behind the scenes for the game to use threat levels to direct enemy AI currently. But on players this debuff could convert a certain number of stacks every few seconds (so long as they have enough stacks on them) into a stack of a buff (maxing out at a certain number of stacks). And it's that buff that could be the protection against someone's attacks. Tanks would put out threat the quickest so the enemy would build up defense against their attacks quicker than they'd build up defense against other targets and the tank's DPS will drop sooner.