Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Star Wars Rogue one teaser

Trinshoonn

Just watched the 2-minute trailer.

Since I first heard about them, I'll admit I was a bit leery about the "anthology" movies and how they might... I don't know, 'dilute' the brand, I guess.

But this trailer has me pretty well sold on Rogue One - I'm 100% looking forward to it now. As long as it doesn't disappoint, that'll get me onboard with the anthology series in general too.

Edited by DarthDymond

It was an awesome teaser, and the movie looks like it's going to be awesome too.

I said from the moment it was announced I was more interested in Rogue One than TFA. That hasn't changed, even though I ended up enjoying TFA a whole lot.

I was curious to see if they held Vader back for the teaser, and they did. I guess we'll have to wait until the full trailer for Vader.

Will I get a "Missing the Point" award if I say "But she's not Rogue One. Wedge Antilles is Rogue One!"? ;)

... well, Luke was first, then Wedge, but anyway.

Looks interesting, and like it should be fun to watch.

[YodaVoice] Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose... from the Legends continuity /Yoda

I don't know, the overwhelming impression I got watching the trailer was:

Rogue One = Katniss IIINNNN SPAAAAAAAAACE!

Did they really have to go with sassy rebellious teenage girl who for some reason is the only way to defeat the evil world of the grown-ups? It feels like that has been done to death by now.

Did they really have to go with sassy rebellious teenage girl who for some reason is the only way to defeat the evil world of the grown-ups? It feels like that has been done to death by now.

Felicity Jones is 32. Luke and Leia are approximately 18-19 when A New Hope starts. The second youngest actor listed for this cast is 33 followed by 36. The rest of the main actors average age is 40s and up.

Riz Ahmed - 33

Diego Luna - 36

Alan Tudyk - 45

Ben Mendelsohn - 47

Mads Mikkelsen - 50

Donnie Yen - 52

Jiang Wen - 53

Forest Whitaker - 54

Edited by CaulderBenson

Felicity Jones is 32. Luke and Leia are approximately 18-19 when A New Hope starts. The second youngest actor listed for this cast is 33 followed by 36. The rest of the main actors average age is 40s and up.

Riz Ahmed - 33

Diego Luna - 36

Alan Tudyk - 45

Ben Mendelsohn - 47

Mads Mikkelsen - 50

Donnie Yen - 52

Jiang Wen - 53

Forest Whitaker - 54

Her character in the movie though is not that of a 32 year old. She's 15 like they said I believe.

But yeah I think the resemblance with Katniss a good example.

Riz Ahmed - 33

Diego Luna - 36

Alan Tudyk - 45

Ben Mendelsohn - 47

Mads Mikkelsen - 50

Donnie Yen - 52

Jiang Wen - 53

Forest Whitaker - 54

Yeah, the overall vibe I'm getting is more of a Malcolm Reynolds archetype than anything Katniss-y; complete with an appropriately hardscrabble band alongside her.

Edited by DarthDymond

Her character in the movie though is not that of a 32 year old. She's 15 like they said I believe.

Mon Mothma says Erso has been "on [her] own since the age of 15", not that she is 15 at the time of the movie.

Mon Mothma says Erso has been "on [her] own since the age of 15", not that she is 15 at the time of the movie.

Perhaps but she's still not too much older than that I'd guess. If she was actually 32 in the movie than she would have been on her own for as long as the Empire has been around, longer than the Rebellion.

Perhaps but she's still not too much older than that I'd guess. If she was actually 32 in the movie than she would have been on her own for as long as the Empire has been around, longer than the Rebellion.

Orphaned during the Clone Wars perhaps?

She's not 15, and this is not the teeny bopper movie as evidenced by the cast age. lol

And yes, to restate what DarthDymond said, the trailer says on her own since she was 15.

Edited by CaulderBenson

All I know is I got chills when the Star Destroyers came on screen, it's surreal to be going back to the GCW era after all this time and 4 films set in different eras......and who was that figure in black kneeling down with Royal Guards around him??????

Will I get a "Missing the Point" award if I say "But she's not Rogue One. Wedge Antilles is Rogue One!"? ;)

... well, Luke was first, then Wedge, but anyway.

Looks interesting, and like it should be fun to watch.

This would be before Rogue Squadron existed as such.

If I recall my SW info correctly, in a New Hope, Luke's squadron (Red) was what would become Rogue later on under his and Wedge's guidance.

So for the time period of this movie Rogue One is just a code name for either the girl herself or the group she will be apart of, which would then set the president for using the name later on by Luke and Wedge.

I don't know, the overwhelming impression I got watching the trailer was:

Rogue One = Katniss IIINNNN SPAAAAAAAAACE!

Yep I'm finding it hard to hide my disappointment. This is going to sound sexist but I really don't care.

After sitting through TFA with a heroine who is Luke/Han/Leia all rolled into one character making her totally boring, did we really need another kick *** female lead character to head another Star Wars movie? What's the marketing angle? Are they trying to lure the teen boys in hoping for another Lara Croft or are they trying to increase the teen female attendance in the cinemas?

I understand they are trying to grow a whole new generation of Star Wars fans, but as a middle aged male who grew up with it, there is nothing for me in these movies. But being Disney, I shouldn't be surprised.

I guess it makes me appreciate Biowares Star Wars universe even more.

Yep I'm finding it hard to hide my disappointment. This is going to sound sexist but I really don't care.

After sitting through TFA with a heroine who is Luke/Han/Leia all rolled into one character making her totally boring, did we really need another kick *** female lead character to head another Star Wars movie? What's the marketing angle? Are they trying to lure the teen boys in hoping for another Lara Croft or are they trying to increase the teen female attendance in the cinemas?

I understand they are trying to grow a whole new generation of Star Wars fans, but as a middle aged male who grew up with it, there is nothing for me in these movies. But being Disney, I shouldn't be surprised.

I guess it makes me appreciate Biowares Star Wars universe even more.

Sorry, but... yeah, you're right, that really is kind of sexist - any time a franchise has two distinct male leads in separate movies, no one bats an eye. Two female leads and it's an issue?

To reference another Disney property, there's every possibility that Rei and Erso will be as distinct as characters as Iron Man is from Captain America - not every male hero is the same, not every female hero is either.

I believe they said there was going to be NO jedi or force users in this tale. Although I wouldn't be surprised if Darth Vader shows up. I believe in an interview they talked about how it was just a group of ordinary people who undertook the dangerous mission. Not that any of them are ordinary mind you. We all know that the rebels lost a lot of agents acquiring the plans to the Death Star. Princess Leia says as much in A New Hope so we can probably expect most if not all of the characters to get wiped out. Regardless the trailer looks awesome. I love the tone of it and the At-At's at the end were just icing on the cake. Looking forward to it.

I believe they said there was going to be NO jedi or force users in this tale. Although I wouldn't be surprised if Darth Vader shows up.

Vader reportedly has a large presence (not the same as screen time) in the film. How much, we don't know, but there was a report that they made both a Hero and several Stunt suits for Vader. They went back and looked at the original suit from ANH in the Lucasfilm archives.

I wouldn't think you make a hero and stunt suits if you're just planning on having him show up and stand there.

Forrest Whitaker = Surviving Jedi?

I got more of a Mandalorian impression from the armour he was wearing. Don't really want another surviving Jedi story in this time era.

However Wikipedia has him listed with th the name "Rouge, Clone Wars Veteran"

Edited by Newyankalt

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.