Which classes have the best solo survivability in regs?

Volxen

Any particular recommendation as far as op vs sin? I've never really played either of the two stealth classes before, so I don't know their respective strengths and weaknesses.

In this case I feel a bit uncomfortable in recommending stealth classes, because to be very honest the "survivability" under this context usually means the same thing as "liability" to the team.

In other words, the excellent survival of scound/ops and shad/sins usually come from the fact that they are invisible, hence undetected, hence, not fighting. and hence, ultimately, not doing anything meaningful for the team and basically nothing more than a deadweight that's gotta be carried by the team.

To pull's one's weight as a stealther, that means you have to be able to infilitrate enemy nodes with solo defenders and fight 1v1 and win very fast. If you can't win, then you're basically useless to the team, and would probably be better off fighting with the rest of the team at a hotspot -- in which case you're just as visible and open to enemy attack as any other player caught in open engagement. Even if you can 1v1 and take the node, if you spend too much time just observing for an opportunity, in many cases the overall scoresheet could be a big "minus" for the team as a whole.

Even if you're fighting with the team at a hotspot, as a stealther you have a duty to disrupt the enemy rearlines of healers and ranged DPS. That's why they gave you that stealth. If you aren't going to be using it in any meaningful way, then there's no point of being a stealther. Hence, I don't particularly think stealthers are more "safe" than any other class -- especially not when stealthers are doing their jobs correctly.

In other words, if stealthers are doing their jobs correctly and frequently enough to be a big plus for the team, then they're in as much danger as any other class. The only times when a stealther is safe and survivable is when its being a burden to the team than an asset.

So IMO, stealthers are some of the toughest classes to use correctly. When they're pulling their weight, they are in combat, often at situations where no other friendly can help, and fighting at vital spots of enemy territory which enemy reinforcements are very likely to arrive soon. In this aspect I don't think stealthers are so "highly easy to survive." "Highly easy to survive at the team's expense" would be more like it.

This is probably why stealth classes are all considered to be those that require more skill to use well, in all games, methinks.

Sins' survivability comes from stealth, but for ops it's different. They have heals and concealment has the lolroll too, not to mention a constant barrage of stuns. I'd say that sins are middle on the survivability list, but ops are probably at the top with juggs.

What classes do you have in mind? Sorc healers?

That would be the most obvious, yeah. For the objective-based warzones the ops and assassins could also turn a game by managing to e.g. stealth/solo cap a pylon or plant a bomb, like kweassa mentions above.

Edited by wepeel

In other words, if stealthers are doing their jobs correctly and frequently enough to be a big plus for the team, then they're in as much danger as any other class. The only times when a stealther is safe and survivable is when its being a burden to the team than an asset.

I agree with much of your post but think you're selling the stealth classes somewhat short, mostly due to the psychological effect on the opposition. If an op attacks a node in a 1 vs 1 situation they have a decent chance for a quick cap right off the bat, depending on the defender. But if there are complications and more defenders arrive, the op can disappear. Any other attacker you can make sure you've eliminated, but when you know someone's still lurking around you're bound to spend time attempting to find him, and loath to leave just a single defender at the node - in such cases a stealther can tie up more than one player, and as such do a good job even without getting tied up.

In the short-term the stealther could even go do something else after harassing the node, leaving the defenders unsure whether or not he's still there and potentially making the wrong call. In such a case he'd not only negate the enemy players involved, he'd do so while still being able to put out effort elsewhere.

Edited by wepeel

I agree with much of your post but think you're selling the stealth classes somewhat short, mostly due to the psychological effect on the opposition. If an op attacks a node in a 1 vs 1 situation they have a decent chance for a quick cap right off the bat, depending on the defender. But if there are complications and more defenders arrive, the op can disappear. Any other attacker you can make sure you've eliminated, but when you know someone's still lurking around you're bound to spend time attempting to find him, and loath to leave just a single defender at the node - in such cases a stealther can tie up more than one player, and as such do a good job even without getting tied up.

In the short-term the stealther could even go do something else after harassing the node, leaving the defenders unsure whether or not he's still there and potentially making the wrong call. In such a case he'd not only negate the enemy players involved, he'd do so while still being able to put out effort elsewhere.

Sorry if I gave such impression. I was merely trying to emphasize that, despite the popularity of stealth classes in many games, they are actually very difficult to manage well -- since, in order to get more than just personal gain/advantage as a stealther, you need to be able to use this tactical advantge really, really well.

Its not just SWTOR, but in almost every game I've played, empirically speaking, stealthers have no 'middle ground'. It's always either a horde of newbies or select few super-players, and the efficiency of their actions are so drastic. In WZs, its always either a 'useless stealther' or a 'useful stealther'.. but seemingly, no such thing as an 'ok stealther', if you get what I mean. :)