Username "Attila" is blocked.

FlavivsAetivs

Okay, so this is a random thing that annoys me. I was trying to create a new toon and decided to see if the name "Attila" had been taken or not. As it turns out, it hasn't because it's completely blocked.

I don't know why it's blocked, but Attila is not a copyrighted or trademarked name. It's been around for at least 1500 years and there's a lot of people in Hungary who are named Attila (despite the fact they have literally no relationship to the Huns). It shouldn't be blocked.

This is kind of a bug report, kind of a complaint. I'm not sure where it would go so I decided to put it here. I'd like to see it fixed.

~ Eudoxia

Edited by FlavivsAetivs

Yeah but it's not a trademarked name as in a Star Wars or Sci-Fi Franchise Trademark like "Cortana" or "Jean-luc Picard" or "Bastila." There are a ton of companies called "Centurion" but it's not trademarked either.

Heck, even "Bastila" and "Revan" weren't blocked. I know this cause I know the couple who used to have those names, and they got reported by a player who was probably a jealous fanboy and decided to be a jerk and were forced to change them. Then the names were blocked.

Banning Attila is just as insensible as banning the name "Eugene" or something. If that's the case then they should ban "John" because of Mass Effect and Halo or "Ellen" because of Alien. It's still a commonly used name, and the only thing close enough to make it famous/trademarked is the fact that he was a famous "Barbarian".

Should we ban "Winston" because he was a British Prime Minister or "Gilgamesh" because he was a Sumerian hero?

~ Eudoxia

Edited by FlavivsAetivs

Yeah but it's not a trademarked name as in a Star Wars or Sci-Fi Franchise Trademark like "Cortana" or "Jean-luc Picard" or "Bastila."

Page down to the Naming Policy and review it's examples of "copyrighted or trademarked characters, materials or products":

http://www.swtor.com/legalnotices/rulesofconduct

If you want an official response, you;re going to have to open up a ticket. The forums are pretty much player driver with little staff involvement. I just responded with what I saw considering the previous discussions we've had on the topic.

Good luck

Edited by dr_mike