The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Shield Tech/Pyro Tech Hybrid DPS build.

Dnarris

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301GMbrb0bZMZfGbbzG0M.1

Above is a hybrid build I was considering. I was hoping to get a good mix of defense, offense, and heat management.

The build focuses around the use of rocket punch, rail shot, and flame burst. It requires the use of a shield rather than a generator which some many not like due to the loss of power. However, in return the build get some pretty nice passive perks.

The pros that I see are:

+30% crit chance on rocket punch and flame sweep with Flame Shield. Not bad having a 40% or more crit chance on one of your primary attacks and one of your AoEs. Furthermore any attack that is shielded has a 50% chance to cooldown rocket punch. With other talents and not including any mods that might increase shield chance the build has a 22% chance to shield.

Rocket punch and flame burst have a 45% and 30% chance to make the next rail shot you fire free as well. Which means a good chunk of the time rail shot will actually reduce your heat on a burning target rather than just halve the cost.

For heat mitigation you have a 30 second reduction in vent heat to 90 seconds instead of 120, you have a 50% chance to vent 8 heat whenever you shield an attack, and you vent 8 heat anytime you use rail shot on a burning target. Any target that you use incendiary missle or flame burst on will have a 100% to be burning with this build.

Survivability wise you get a 16% increase in your armor rating, you get shielding, you get a 1 minute reduction on kolto overload going from 3 to 2 minutes, you get a 4% damage reduction on anything hit by flame burst or flame sweep for 15 seconds, and your shield absorption rate is increased by 6%.

The only downsides I can see with the build is that you are required to use a shield, you miss out on the extra damage on DoT damage on targets below 30% health, and you don't get thremal detenator. (Which I can live without)

What I want to know is do you think the build with be viable and is there anyway to improve upon it?

Which cylinder are you planning to use? If you pick Ion Gas Cylinder (hence the talents in it), all the points in Bursting Flame is wasted.

I have a similar build however I went deeper into Shield Tech to take Jet Charge for mobility. Heat is not an issue with this spec since you gain benefit from both Shield Vent and Superheated Rail.

Edited by Trungalung

Sorry, forgot to mention that it'd be the combustible cylinder. However, I didn't actually choose any talents that require the ion cylinder as I don't want the increased threat generation in groups.

Though solo, if I wanted to I could easily switch to Ion gas cylinder and increase my shielding by another 15% which would improve some of my other abilities as procs would occur much more often at 37% shielding rate and increase my armor by 60% and my straight damage reduction by another 5%.

It's nice to have options.

Edited by Dnarris

Without the 15% shield chance from Ion Gas Cylinder, you will only have 7% chance on shielding the damage (unless you have shield rating gear, but why would you have tank gears?). So the two major abilities from Shield Tech won't get its full benefit (Shield Vent and Flame Shield). You'll probably be better spec into Puncture for a stronger Rail Shot.

On another note, I possibly somehow saw that you spec into Ion Gas Cylinder.

Edit: I also wants to know what's your focus on the spec. Is it solo, PvP, dps, etc...?

Edited by Trungalung