The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Serious Suggestion for Pack Design

Wayshuba

As I have stated in other threads, the last two iterations of the pack designs have sworn me off packs for good - at least in this current "maybe you will get ripped off or maybe you won't format". The only thing good for me personally about these new pack designs is it will save me about $50 month in purchases because I won't buy these again.

That being said, here is a serious suggestion for packs (and some other store approach) in the future. I'd love to here players thoughts on my suggestion.

All new packs should have 8-12 items that have NEVER been in packs before. 25% of those items should be rare and only ever available in the particular pack. So, for example, if there are 12 new items, 9 of them would be new releases while 3 are rare releases.

Upon opening the pack, we should always get:

• An item from the new pack with lower odds on the rare designated items (ALWAYS)
  • A chance at receiving the newly designed Archive Cubes or Rare Crafting Material (more on that below).
  • A random Commendation Award (ALWAYS) - more on that below
  • A random selection of Jawa Junk (ALWAYS)
  • A random Rep token for one of the Cartel Market vendors (ALWAYS)
  • A Cartel Certificate (ALWAYS)

Personally I think the list above would add a value to everything you get from the pack, but that is just me.

Before discussing the new items, here is what should not be in any pack: Companion Gifts (these are too readily available in game to get them for spending real cash) or any kind of boosters (XP, et al).

To finish off in discussing the new items:

Commendation Awards are pulled from a random pool and award a token that gives the person one of the following tokens. The person clicks on the token to add the reward to their inventory. The token would provide one of the following: 10k credits, 30 Basic Crystals, 15 Glowing Crystals, 5 Radiant Crystals, 50 Fleet Commendations or 100 Warzone Commendations.

Archive Cubes are new and a combination of the previous Gold, Silver, Bronze and the current Chance Cubes. After packs have been cycled through the market, the non-rare new items should be awarded to the selection pool for each of these Archive Cubes. The 25% rare items in the packs should never be added to the selection as these should remain exclusive to the original packs (and drive more people to purchase those packs). Each category on the Cartel Market should get an Archive Cube that can be purchased with a small chance to receive one automatically in the new packs. So there will be one for Armor, Weapons, Mounts, Decorations, etc. Each of these cubes works like the Grand Chance cube but only pulling from a random selection of previously released items in that category. So, if I buy a Stronghold Archive Cube, it should only give one random selection from decorations. These should be available to be bought for 200 CC each (or in bundles) and always available. Items from newer packs should not be available in these until after the pack in no longer available in the new pack selection.

Rare Crafting Materials - if the pack doesn't give an Archive Cube, then one of a random selection of all the rare crafting materials should be given. What this adds if for those that are not Operation Friendly to maybe get a chance at a Dark Matter Catalyst, or some further Exotic Isotopes for crafting. This would actually be useful to almost anyone who purchase packs.

Anyway, the above would have me regularly buying Hypercrates and Archive Cubes. The current format will have me doing nothing but using my allotment of CC for because they are not worth real money to me in current form.

I'd be curious to others thoughts.

Eh, it could work. The only real criticism I feel like I could give is that, as far as the "commendation award" thing goes, get rid of the 10k credit one. Making it give more would make it too imbalanced, making it worth less would make it worthless (pun intended.) Credits shouldn't be in these things - just my thoughts on it. Don't know what to replace it with, if anything. That's the only thing that's sticking out at me, don't really see anything else that's catching my eye (good or bad.)

Rare Crafting Materials - if the pack doesn't give an Archive Cube, then one of a random selection of all the rare crafting materials should be given. What this adds if for those that are not Operation Friendly to maybe get a chance at a Dark Matter Catalyst, or some further Exotic Isotopes for crafting. This would actually be useful to almost anyone who purchase packs.

Re: Exotic Isotopes. These drop in the Heroic Mode Star Fortress missions, I think from the Praetorian. Sure, not a total cake-walk, but not as attention-requiring as the reactor ring, but it does make them not Ops-only.

Re: Exotic Isotopes. These drop in the Heroic Mode Star Fortress missions, I think from the Praetorian. Sure, not a total cake-walk, but not as attention-requiring as the reactor ring, but it does make them not Ops-only.

I know that Exotic Isotopes can be had from HM FPs as well as purchasing with Glowing Crystals on Odesson, but the point I meant to make is it is a rare crafting material and that anyone can probably make use of them thus giving further value to a purchased pack.

I know that Exotic Isotopes can be had from HM FPs as well as purchasing with Glowing Crystals on Odesson, but the point I meant to make is it is a rare crafting material and that anyone can probably make use of them thus giving further value to a purchased pack.

Sure. I think they would, too. I was just taking issue with the link between them and Ops, sounding as if they are Ops-only or something.