Spinning Kick

Archaeologian

It crits for decent damage. 99.99% of the time though, If I'm PvE'ing on my Sin, it's with Hatred.

Spike is literally worthless in PvE. In PvE, if you're not stealthing on an exact timer, you're losing damage. You have 1 chance every 102 seconds to use the move unless you want to gimp your damage, and so you'd use it against what, trash? No, it's completely useless, and I have never used Spike in PvE as Deception.

Spike is literally worthless in PvE. In PvE, if you're not stealthing on an exact timer, you're losing damage. You have 1 chance every 102 seconds to use the move unless you want to gimp your damage, and so you'd use it against what, trash? No, it's completely useless, and I have never used Spike in PvE as Deception.

I haven't ever as well in PVE.

In PVP that's another thing. Spinning Kick/Spike is a part of your opener. You'd do SK > Potency + Breach > Shadow Stride + Breach > Clairvoyante Strike > Shadow Strike (autocrit since you use CS just before) > Psychokinetic Blast. At this point, average players should be under 30% and you can finish them with Spinning Strike.

I'm late to the thread, but I can't imagine why you would not have it on your bar. If you are tank spec, you can use it out of stealth. It's great for interrupting everything but operations bosses. If your target is casting something, use it. Running the Oricon heroic and you have to kill those elites that have all those annoying knockbacks and stuns? Use spinning kick (as well as your other hard stun and your regular interrupt) to interrupt the casted ones. Tank spec in dps gear (except shield offhand) is the best way to run dailies IMO, so spinning kick is a short cooldown interrupt.

--snip-- nvm

Edited by teclado

If you are playing Infiltration or Serenity and you are going to attack a gold, you would approach them in stealth and start off with a spinning kick.

If you're playing Infi, your companion is a tank and you make him attack first, so you don't really need the stun and most gold don't even resist 2 Breach under Recklessness + 1 auto-crit Shadow Strike. That's 4 GCD. If you can't kill a gold in 4 GCD, you have other problems than taking less damage.

The argument can be valid for Serenity though.

Also, if you are in the middle of a fight and you are taking too much damage, you can use your combat stealth --> spinning kick. This will give your (presumably) healing companion a few seconds to bring your health up a bit and for you to do some more damage, which may be the difference between you living or dying.

No it won't. If you stealth out, the mob will reset and you'll have to start all over again. That means that if you had a hard time before, you'll have the exact same hard time again except you'll have even less life to start with if you don't wait to be healed to full.

Edited by LudhaninRolgge

Right. The combat stealth --> SK is a pvp move. *Drinks more coffee* I never play deception outside of pvp anymore. Even then, I play Mara or Darkness more often.

Anyway, I take issue with everybody telling OP that it is NEVER useful and that it doesn't even need to be on the bar. That's mind boggling to me! For tank spec, absolutely use it. Infil and Serenity...well....I thought I had a use for it. Maybe somebody else could be more creative than me. It sure is fun to open up with, if nothing else. If you ever decide to switch to tank spec, it would be a shame to not even have it on your bar and completely forget about it.

Edited by teclado

Right. The combat stealth --> SK is a pvp move. *Drinks more coffee* I never play deception outside of pvp anymore. Even then, I play Mara or Darkness more often.

Anyway, I take issue with everybody telling OP that it is NEVER useful and that it doesn't even need to be on the bar. That's mind boggling to me! For tank spec, absolutely use it. Infil and Serenity...well....I thought I had a use for it. Maybe somebody else could be more creative than me. It sure is fun to open up with, if nothing else. If you ever decide to switch to tank spec, it would be a shame to not even have it on your bar and completely forget about it.

It may be fun to open with it, but it isn't optimal in Infiltration nor Serenity.

I'm late to the thread, but I can't imagine why you would not have it on your bar. If you are tank spec, you can use it out of stealth. It's great for interrupting everything but operations bosses. If your target is casting something, use it. Running the Oricon heroic and you have to kill those elites that have all those annoying knockbacks and stuns? Use spinning kick (as well as your other hard stun and your regular interrupt) to interrupt the casted ones. Tank spec in dps gear (except shield offhand) is the best way to run dailies IMO, so spinning kick is a short cooldown interrupt.

--snip-- nvm

I think you missed the part where this guy isn't a tank. He's playing Infiltration. If he wanted to gimp his damage hardcore, he'd do what you suggest.

Oh, and by the way: the best way to run dailies is in a group of 4 burst DPS, at least one of whom has terrific AoE. Coincidentally, 3 DPS and a healer is the best way to run all of the HM flashpoints (because the SM ones aren't worth running any more, ever). And if you're going to say: "Oh, but what if they can't get a group?" I'm going to respond with: "Despite BioWare's best efforts, this is still an online multiplayer game, if they can't get a group they simply aren't trying."

I'm not going to argue too much with somebody who wrote guides on the class, but I think that it's a bad idea to not even put it on your bar. Like I said yesterday, if you ever change to tank spec or do some pvp, it won't be there and you may forget about it entirely. Put it on your bar. Don't use it when it's not optimal, but know that it exists and it has its uses in pvp and tank spec. Edited by teclado