Game keeps crashing

KepsFight

I've tried every fix possible that I have found, that being: getting rid of Bitraider, deleting the diskcachearena, deleting the retailclient_swtor.version, uninstalling and reinstalling completely (both with and without Bitraider), and running the repair tool.

But my game still continues to crash every single time I mouse over anything to do with a quest on my User Interface, mini map, and world map. I've crashed at least two dozen times in two days. I just want to level my smuggler, but I can't even do that much. Is there anything that anyone can suggest, or has anyone experienced this before and fixed it?

Any help would be really appreciated, thank you.

Windows 10??

Slide the tree and grass sliders full LEFT

I am on Windows 10 yes. I've also tried that. I seen somewhere that my Direct X may be out of date, but I checked and I have the latest 'Direct X 12', so I honestly have no idea what the deal is.

Update: Apparently after everything I tried, all I had to do was simply turn off the Texture Anisotropy in-game. Can anyone explain to me what it even is? It's caused nothing but problems and I don't even honestly see a difference in performance or visual appearance other than that I don't crash anymore.

In 3D computer graphics, anisotropic filtering (abbreviated AF) is a method of enhancing the image quality of textures on surfaces of computer graphics that are at oblique viewing angles with respect to the camera where the projection of the texture (not the polygon or other primitive on which it is rendered) appears to be non-orthogonal (thus the origin of the word: "an" for not, "iso" for same, and "tropic" from tropism, relating to direction; anisotropic filtering does not filter the same in every direction).

Basically better textures at the cost of higher GPU use.

If you're crashing with that setting on, I would ask what graphic card are you using and power supply wattage.

CPU and any overclocks is used. Driver version?

Seems odd that setting stopped the crashes. It could be a weak power supply, driver or heat. If the GPU is working harder it creates heat, it is also using more power. If the power supply is unable to supply enough power it may cause a crash. Too much heat can make things unstable. But drivers can cause similar issues. The latest driver isn't always the best driver.

SWTOR uses much more CPU than GPU. The hero engine is poorly optimized and confirmed by past and present devs. It's too costly to upgrade let alone change the engine. Though other companies have and are doing it with success. SWTOR is on life support due to new movies and new MMO title tie in coming in the future, announcement coming sooner than expected.

I'm glad you found a fix, I just hope it's not a bandaid to an underlying issue.

MSI Afterburner is a nice program to run and keep track of GPU and CPU usage. Temps, and clock speeds. If I suspect an issues on my rigs, that's usually the first place I look. What's the temps and how much are they being used during normal gameplay activities? On Screen Display in the top left corner of my streams and videos. One of my last streams I was actually helping a guy set his up. My settings and config for MSI afterburner is displayed and explained quickly between war zone rounds.

I've tried every fix possible that I have found, that being: getting rid of Bitraider, deleting the diskcachearena, deleting the retailclient_swtor.version, uninstalling and reinstalling completely (both with and without Bitraider), and running the repair tool.

But my game still continues to crash every single time I mouse over anything to do with a quest on my User Interface, mini map, and world map. I've crashed at least two dozen times in two days. I just want to level my smuggler, but I can't even do that much. Is there anything that anyone can suggest, or has anyone experienced this before and fixed it?

Any help would be really appreciated, thank you.

Yep happens to me to, they even said to roll back my driver which I did and that worked till this last patch and now it crashes to desktop if I'm outside and scroll my mouse pointer over any mission on the map or on the side panel and if I try and use the port icon things that takes me from Heroic to Heroic,,, I found myself having to quick travel to the nearest cantina then using the port icon just to go to another heroic,,, Now this crap has been going on since they added 4.1 what the hell is going on why haven't this crap been fixed yet I mean its making the game almost unplayable.....:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Note: Ok just tried this:

Update: all I had to do was simply turn off the Texture Anisotropy in-game..
And I can validate that by turning off Texture Anisotropy in-game does stop the CTD so far,, I did a heroic that I ctd on every time and I didn't with that turned off so I think we found a fix YEAH!!!! Edited by Legolose

Yep happens to me to, they even said to roll back my driver which I did and that worked till this last patch and now it crashes to desktop if I'm outside and scroll my mouse pointer over any mission on the map or on the side panel and if I try and use the port icon things that takes me from Heroic to Heroic,,, I found myself having to quick travel to the nearest cantina then using the port icon just to go to another heroic,,, Now this crap has been going on since they added 4.1 what the hell is going on why haven't this crap been fixed yet I mean its making the game almost unplayable.....:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Note: Ok just tried this:

And I can validate that by turning off Texture Anisotropy in-game does stop the CTD so far,, I did a heroic that I ctd on every time and I didn't with that turned off so I think we found a fix YEAH!!!!

Nice thanks for posting, I'll add this to the list. I didn't know Anisotropy was causing these crashes.

I'd still like to know your systems to see if a trend develops. Are you guys using Nvidia graphics cards or AMD?

If you're crashing with that setting on, I would ask what graphic card are you using and power supply wattage.

CPU and any overclocks is used. Driver version?

Seems odd that setting stopped the crashes. It could be a weak power supply, driver or heat. If the GPU is working harder it creates heat, it is also using more power. If the power supply is unable to supply enough power it may cause a crash. Too much heat can make things unstable. But drivers can cause similar issues. The latest driver isn't always the best driver.

Thank you very much for explaining it to me, it actually helps me quite a bit in understanding my issue more. My computer is a few years old and was store-bought so it's completely understandable why something as simple as this setting would cause it to crash constantly.

All my drivers were up to date, and I even rolled back to ones that were known to work better (just in case).

The most logical option would probably be that my PC just isn't the best choice to be playing the game; even though it does work.

Again, thank you very much!

Update: Apparently after everything I tried, all I had to do was simply turn off the Texture Anisotropy in-game. Can anyone explain to me what it even is? It's caused nothing but problems and I don't even honestly see a difference in performance or visual appearance other than that I don't crash anymore.

That's good. Turn toaster up to six so it doesn't happen again.

See the customer service thread below:

http://answers.ea.com/t5/STAR-WARS-The-Old-Republic/INFO-Known-Issues-and-Current-Alerts-8th-Mar-16/m-p/4886775#U4886775

Symptom: Crash on Mouse over of Map with Intel Video Cards -

Workaround: driver version prior to Sep 15 appears to remove this issue, see here.

(Source) also try installing this particular Directx redist.

Edited by Nightblazer

I feel you. The game keeps crashing for me too. I haven't played for a few months because I had a friend ask me to play ESO with them but when I came back today, the game crashed like once a minute. I don't know what's going on as I NEVER had this problem before since it's a fairly new computer. However, this is kind of ensuring I stick with ESO which kind of sucks because I like SWTOR. I hope they fix this soon.

See the customer service thread below:

http://answers.ea.com/t5/STAR-WARS-The-Old-Republic/INFO-Known-Issues-and-Current-Alerts-8th-Mar-16/m-p/4886775#U4886775

Symptom: Crash on Mouse over of Map with Intel Video Cards -

Workaround: driver version prior to Sep 15 appears to remove this issue, see here.

(Source) also try installing this particular Directx redist.

I have actually tried that prior to fixing my issue without any positive results, but thank you :)