Minimum requirements to play with ultra settings?

Zasszz

Two years ago I upgraded most of my hardware to play wow, which I was playing then, with decent settings. I even got an SSD harddrive to run my windows 7 64 while running the game on another harddrive. I didnt upgrade my graphics card and I assume its the weakest piece in my machine. But I have no idea which card is suitable for me or for swtor or if its even compatible with most of my hardware. But given the current status of technology I have to get a new power supply aswell that can work with the cards. I had to install a noname power supply because former broke down and this one is compatible with my graphics card. I saw no need to upgrade it until I get a graphics card that cant connect with it. Shouldnt hurt to plan abit ahead like right now :p

My current hardware:

AMD FX-6110

Gigabyte 970A-UD3P mainboard

Corsair pc18166 DDR3 8gb RAM

Radeon HD 5830 1024MBytes GDDR5

The graphics card did a good job for years but I do like to play with higher settings even older games which I couldnt play with ultra settings with that card. Also there will be no more support or driver upgrades for that generation of cards. Unfortunately I can hardly play any game with shadows without experiencing low fps. Its odd that it works with swtor but the shadows on lowest settings look almost transparent. I also planned that my next card should be nvidia as all games are optimized for them. ATI cards always required tweeking first.

I have 300$ saved up for upgrades at the moment. I hope thats enough for a new power supply and a good graphics card. What graphics card generation should I aim for? How do I determine if my hardware is balanced to get the results Im looking for? Should I change my other hardware?

Edited by Zasszz

Obviously shop around for the best prices (including delivery prices), but I'd recommend you upgrade your processor first, then the graphics card (maybe PSU before graphics if needed).

The only place that visual quality is really noticeable for me is during any game rendered cutscenes and conversations, so when I played on bare minimum settings before my last upgrades, it wasn't really noticeable for most of my game time.

If I were in your place though, I'd try and save up at least double what you currently have. It's always nice to have the extra to "play around with" just in case.