The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

"Wild Card" Collection Unlock

Sportiva

My Dearest Bioware,

You should add Gold, Silver and Bronze Collection Unlock Items to CM packs ... what it would do is allow a player to unlock any item in the collection window at a corresponding Gold/Silver/Bronze level ... the player would still need to pay CC's for the legacy unlock of that item.

If you wanted to, you could further differentiate the unlock items by creating them to be specific to armor, weapon, mounts, etc ... but I would say it is preferable to make it a complete wild card unlock item.

You are welcome for this great idea. While not necessary, I would gladly accept a year-long complementary subscription for all of the great value I just provided to you.

Cause it always has been binding since the beginning of the CM, they won't change it now especially not to something like that people will not purchase anymore packs at all

What are you talking about? The 36 hour binding countdown?

I have no clue what you are referring to. Yes, most CM items are bound when they come out of the pack ... 36 hours later they are unbound. How would my idea be any different?

Edited by Sportiva

My Dearest Bioware,

You should add Gold, Silver and Bronze Collection Unlock Items to CM packs ... what it would do is allow a player to unlock any item in the collection window at a corresponding Gold/Silver/Bronze level ... the player would still need to pay CC's for the legacy unlock of that item.

If you wanted to, you could further differentiate the unlock items by creating them to be specific to armor, weapon, mounts, etc ... but I would say it is preferable to make it a complete wild card unlock item.

You are welcome for this great idea. While not necessary, I would gladly accept a year-long complementary subscription for all of the great value I just provided to you.

I hope they never do this. You are suggesting that a player not even need to acquire the item to be able to unlock it in collections.

"That Revan armor set is selling for millions of credits. I'm not going to spend the time earning the credits to acquire that set. BW let me unlock it and pay a pittance in CC"s to be able to produce infinite copies, without ever actually acquiring it."

"The drop rate on that new light saber is too low, IMO. I'm not going to even try to earn 50 million or more to buy it from the GTN. Give me a way to unlock it in collections, without making me earn the credits to actually acquire it, then a pay a pittance in CC's to produce unlimited copies."

"Oh, and BW, let me unlock ANYTHING with this 'wild card' unlock. I don't want to get a weapon unlock, and not be able to unlock that new awesome armor set."

I hope they NEVER add a way to unlock items in the collections interface without actually acquiring all the necessary parts on a single character.

IF they do decide that a "wild card" unlock is something worth trying, I hope they make the drop rate even lower than the new lightsaber.

I hope they never do this. You are suggesting that a player not even need to acquire the item to be able to unlock it in collections.

"That Revan armor set is selling for millions of credits. I'm not going to spend the time earning the credits to acquire that set. BW let me unlock it and pay a pittance in CC"s to be able to produce infinite copies, without ever actually acquiring it."

"The drop rate on that new light saber is too low, IMO. I'm not going to even try to earn 50 million or more to buy it from the GTN. Give me a way to unlock it in collections, without making me earn the credits to actually acquire it, then a pay a pittance in CC's to produce unlimited copies."

"Oh, and BW, let me unlock ANYTHING with this 'wild card' unlock. I don't want to get a weapon unlock, and not be able to unlock that new awesome armor set."

I hope they NEVER add a way to unlock items in the collections interface without actually acquiring all the necessary parts on a single character.

IF they do decide that a "wild card" unlock is something worth trying, I hope they make the drop rate even lower than the new lightsaber.

They can make the unlock item as rare as they want to ... it can be more rare than the Revan set for example. The point is: if you get it you can unlock whatever set you want.

Let's say you get "Ultra Rare Set #1", but you would prefer "Ultra Rare Set #2" ... you could monetize Set #1 and purchase in order to buy Set #2 on the GTN ... by creating an unlock item, BW is just making the process simpler.

Honestly, the lack of critical thinking skill is astounding.

There is already ways to obtain everything now, no need to change anything. Also what I meant by binding is you have to equip it on one toon first to unlock it through the collections.

But if you pull it from collections it already bound to your character.

But if you pull it from collections it already bound to your character.

You have to bind it first, that's how its always has been and if they went through with an idea like this it will just be a bait and switch move which will be bad imo.

Edited by Theeko

There is already ways to obtain everything now, no need to change anything. Also what I meant by binding is you have to equip it on one toon first to unlock it through the collections.

And I realize that you can obtain everything now. I'm suggesting this as a way BW can give an individual customer value w/o changing their business model. The rarity of the items stays the stays the same, so the gambling pack are still sought after ... all this does is give the consumer something that they actually want.

And I'm not suggesting that it replaces all armor sets in chance cubes ... it is just an added item that can drop from a set.

Without the need to bind an actual object first which defeats the purpose of how the CM always has been?

Yes, you currently need to bind it to add it to your collections ... I don't see your point.

If you were to were able to use an item to unlock a collection, any item that you pull from the collection is bound to that character. Regardless of how the collection is unlocked, the net result is the same ... that the items from that collection are bound to that character.

Yes, you currently need to bind it to add it to your collections ... I don't see your point.

If you were to were able to use an item to unlock a collection, any item that you pull from the collection is bound to that character. Regardless of how the collection is unlocked, the net result is the same ... that the items from that collection are bound to that character.

But your suggesting just a pure collection unlock without having to bind anything?

But your suggesting just a pure collection unlock without having to bind anything?

Maybe I am getting trolled here ... but why are you focused on the binding? What I am suggesting is that you have a consumable item that can be used to unlock one single collection of your choice ... you would then reclaim the items from that collection. Those items would be BOUND, just like the current system. Therefore, the initial act of binding the item & unlocking it in the collection is irrelevant.

Here are the current steps:

1) Find the an item in a CM pack

2) Bind that item(s) to unlock item(s)

3) Open collections window

4) Retrieve the item(s) from that collection into your inventory ... those items are bound to that character.

Here is how my proposed "wild card" unlock item would work

1) Find the wild card unlock item in a CM pack

2) Click on the wild card unlock item

4) Unlock the collection set of your choice

5) Retrieve the item(s) from that collection into your inventory ... those item(s) are bound to that character.

The initial binding does not matter because the end result is the same.

Maybe I am getting trolled here ... but why are you focused on the binding? What I am suggesting is that you have a consumable item that can be used to unlock one single collection of your choice ... you would then reclaim the items from that collection. Those items would be BOUND, just like the current system. Therefore, the initial act of binding the item & unlocking it in the collection is irrelevant.

Here are the current steps:

1) Find the an item in a CM pack

2) Bind that item(s) to unlock item(s)

4) Retrieve the item(s) from that collection into your inventory ... those items are bound to that character.

Here is how my proposed "wild card" unlock item would work

1) Find the wild card unlock item in a CM pack

2) Click on the wild card unlock item

4) Unlock the collection set of your choice

5) Retrieve the item(s) from that collection into your inventory ... those item(s) are bound to that character.

The initial binding does not matter because the end result is the same.

What you are "suggesting" is simply a way to run an end around and avoid the requirement of actually having to acquire and bind all necessary pieces to a single character before something can be unlocked in collections.

This is why I think this is a horrible idea, and I hope they NEVER implement a "wild card" unlock.

If you want to unlock that shiny armor set or that lightaber of awesomeness in collections, then you should have to acquire all the necessary pieces and bind them to a single character. If what you want is from an embargoed pack, then you will have to pay the going rates for the item(s) you need to unlock what you want. If the item(s) you want is/are not available for sale on the GTN, you can wait until they are or purchase the unopened packs from the GTN if any are available.

It may even be that you might have to live without that shiny armor set or lightsaber of awesomeness if the pack is old enough that none are available.