Megaservers

Joesixxpack

How does this affect bottleneck areas (like Possessed Hunter for example)?

There's not enough participation on PTS to spawn multiple instances, but I imagine that if you're in the PVE, it'll work the same way, multiple pve instances pop when zone pop passes the threshold.

You can probably flip over to the PVP instance to see if he's up, just like switching to another PVE instance now, but that will expose you to getting ganked. If I were a griefy type person, I would absolutely sit on bottlenecked spawn points and wait for impatient carebears ;)

Edit: Eh, nevermind, too tired, didnt think that last part through.... wouldn't matter, since Pubs can't get to DK, so there'd be no ganking

Edited by DayneDrak

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way it currently works on PTS, that is in fact true. You cannot get PVP flagged in the PVE instance. You no longer have the option to toggle the flag, instead, that toggle is replaced with the instance switch.

I attacked the Republic Base on Oricon, Hoth, and Ilum, just to try a few different ways, and was not flagged either in the PVE instance. So yeah, looks like involuntary flagging is a thing of the past.

Oh nifty. I didn't get back to ask you this last night, and I left the PTS downloading overnight last night so I can fiddle this weekend. So you can't flag in the PVE area? Cool.

So just went and killed Valen Korik to see what would happen when I switched to PVP instance, if I'd get a new pop. And the answer is no.... I get a popup asking if I want to travel to a PVP instance, and the minimap says I'm in a PVP instance, but I didn't actually travel, name didn't change to green.

So I went to Ilum, and when I switched to PVP focus, I did in fact instance travel, name popped up green.

So, based on that, I'm guessing that origin worlds, capital worlds, fleet, balmorra, and taris will only have PVE instances. Which makes sense, since the other faction can't (legitimately) get there.

It looks like I was also wrong about being able to instantly switch back. Trying to go back to carebare mode gives me the standard 'You can't switch instances until' pop up

So it acts as a timer like 'flagging' did before. Interesting.

Well, not exactly. The pop up gave me a time that was 5 minutes out, but I tried to switch back 2 minutes later and it let me. So it looks like there's a cooldown, but it's shorter than 5 minutes

Well, not exactly. The pop up gave me a time that was 5 minutes out, but I tried to switch back 2 minutes later and it let me. So it looks like there's a cooldown, but it's shorter than 5 minutes

So more like when you're switching instances on planets and it triggers that cooldown after the second switch.

So the switch instances cooldown acts as the PvP cooldown in a sense, you need to be out of combat and have been on that PvP instance for x minutes before you can swap again??? but once you do swap that's it you are in PvE mode??

That's what it sounds like Dayne was saying, yus.

So more like when you're switching instances on planets and it triggers that cooldown after the second switch.

It's a little wonky. After the first switch, it gave me a time 5 minutes out, but let me switch after 2. Trying to switch after, it gave me a time 7 minutes out, but let me switch back after 2.5 mins. Trying to switch after that gave me a time 15 minutes out, and still won't let me switch back after 5 minutes.

So it looks like there's an increasing cooldown in order to prevent abuse by frequently flipping back and forth

Oh, and the world map lists both instances now. When I first zoned in, there were no instances, but when I flip over to PVP, it shows Ilum (1) and Ilum - PVP (2), and it looks like I can instance switch like normal between them. Waiting to see if that's true (if so, could possibly lead to some involuntary flagging if folks aren't paying attention to the instance type if they're trying to instance swap via the world map instead of the toggle)

It's a little wonky. After the first switch, it gave me a time 5 minutes out, but let me switch after 2. Trying to switch after, it gave me a time 7 minutes out, but let me switch back after 2.5 mins. Trying to switch after that gave me a time 15 minutes out, and still won't let me switch back after 5 minutes.

So it looks like there's an increasing cooldown in order to prevent abuse by frequently flipping back and forth

Oh, and the world map lists both instances now. When I first zoned in, there were no instances, but when I flip over to PVP, it shows Ilum (1) and Ilum - PVP (2), and it looks like I can instance switch like normal between them. Waiting to see if that's true (if so, could possibly lead to some involuntary flagging if folks aren't paying attention to the instance type if they're trying to instance swap via the world map instead of the toggle)

I wonder if the first two are a 'bug' and when you hit the third one it kicked in correctly.

Oh good, I was hoping (and assumed) they would label the instances as PVP or PVE to distinguish.

Ok, so it finally let me switch back after 10 minutes, not the full 15, and you can instance switch to the PVP instance via the world map, but the instance switch pop up does say you're going to a PVP instance (not sure if folks will actually read it, but the warning is there)

So yeah looks like there's a display bug for the instance switch timers, but there's definitely an increasing timeout.

So the switch instances cooldown acts as the PvP cooldown in a sense, you need to be out of combat and have been on that PvP instance for x minutes before you can swap again??? but once you do swap that's it you are in PvE mode??

Yes, exactly. And like I said, while you're in the PVE instance, you cannot go flagged for PVP. I've tried every method of involuntary flagging I possibly can, and I stay carebear in the pve instance

Hey folks,

By the term "Megaservers" I presume you think we are collapsing multiple servers together into "megaservers." Especially with many of the quality of life features you highlighted. These changes were only designed to allow friends to play together, regardless of their personal playstyle. Now someone who wants to play on a PvP server can play on the same server as their friends who don't want to.

Hope that clears up any confusion.

-eric

I like how you, in a very political manner, managed to address the question and give us an idea of the purpose, but neither confirmed nor denied that MegaServers are coming.

Well played, perhaps you should be running for office somewhere Mr. Musco.

Edited by RiVaN_

Ok, so it finally let me switch back after 10 minutes, not the full 15, and you can instance switch to the PVP instance via the world map, but the instance switch pop up does say you're going to a PVP instance (not sure if folks will actually read it, but the warning is there)

So yeah looks like there's a display bug for the instance switch timers, but there's definitely an increasing timeout.

And I'm asking for clarity, though I'm fairly certain the answer is 'yes', but when you switched from PVP to PVE, it unflags you immediately?

And I'm asking for clarity, though I'm fairly certain the answer is 'yes', but when you switched from PVP to PVE, it unflags you immediately?

yeah, as soon as you spawn into the PVE instance, you're not flagged, name goes back to the normal blue, and no faction icon on your portrait

Edited by DayneDrak

And as a final test... when switching via the world map, it won't let you go until the timeout it specifies in the popup. Switching via PVP toggle lets you switch earlier than that, so make sure you're using the PVP toggle to switch, until they manage to sync them up hehe

yeah, as soon as you spawn into the PVE instance, you're not flagged, name goes back to the normal blue, and no faction icon on your portrait

Very good. I'm thinking about joining the PTS play tonight and tomorrow with the Devs. I don't normally like PVP, but the new map sounds funnish.

Hey folks,

By the term "Megaservers" I presume you think we are collapsing multiple servers together into "megaservers." Especially with many of the quality of life features you highlighted. These changes were only designed to allow friends to play together, regardless of their personal playstyle. Now someone who wants to play on a PvP server can play on the same server as their friends who don't want to.

Hope that clears up any confusion.

-eric

With the removal of pvp servers what are the plans for rp servers?

Are you just planning on having normal pve servers and no RP servers?

They not gonna "remove" (literally) PvP servers or any other servers

From the pts patch notes and eric's quote they are collapsing (merging) them together and from the mechanics explained in the pts patch notes turning them into pve servers.

Unless for some odd reason they are talking about cross server q's and if that's the case why didn't they say cross server

Edited by rklontz

Better queue pops for pvp, fps, ops and gsf. JKS is dead. GSF is popping once a week, pvp outside of primetime is mostly dead, and during primetime you're most likely going to fight against all the same people over and over.

Well, when JKS is dead, the handful of people left wouldn't be much of a gain for T3-M4's population, would they?

There might be some people who prefer the quiet, but most people I talked about this are in small guilds who don't want to lose all of their guild efforts. You can't transfer your guild bank, flagship and giuld stronghold.

Fair enough. That's a good reason to stay on a dead server and hope that its merged into a larger one. Still, it only affects those few that are still on dead PVP servers, the majority won't even notice the merge.

To make server merges worth the effort, BW would have to merge the "PVE"-servers as well, and that might cause a ping issue in the US and a language problem in the EU.

Edited by Mubrak

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.