How The Old Republic can compete and beat Guild Wars 2

dontadow

:They are considering Diablo 3 for the consoles, so anything is possible. :D

I know they hired a PS3 team for it and they did it right before the planned launch 2010.

But looking from videos of Diablo 3 it looks stale, dumbed down, slow and boring. I have to say GW2 looks better.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From around 6 minutes and forward he is just trolling or really stupid. He don't understand interaction between the player and the game. When you switch weapons your abilities gets switched out. That does not mean you get MORE abilities it means you replace your current ones. So in total you have 5 active abilities tied to your "class" or weapon of choice.

So this is a really dumbed down game and I would not be surprised if it got designed to be converted to consoles. Because clearly the number of buttons on SNES controller is enough to use all your characters abilities.

Or it's so you can tactically use a certain weapon, which in turn gives you different moves. Unlike hotkey MMOs where you're giving a very large amount of hotkey slots, which just floods your screen with a lot of abilities which you'll never really use. Having a crap tonne of abilities isn't always a good thing.

you aren't locked into a certain role by what class you pick, that's why it's a better system.

Ahh i see...thanks for clarifying guys...

Nice concept actually but meh...its still guild wars.

Ill check it out maybe as its f2p but i never could get into the first game.

Deffo wont replace TOR for me as im totally burnt out on high fantasy MMORPGs and im also suspicious as to the longevity of a game that launches f2p intentionally.

Driz

Ahh i see...thanks for clarifying guys...

Nice concept actually but meh...its still guild wars.

Ill check it out maybe as its f2p but i never could get into the first game.

Deffo wont replace TOR for me as im totally burnt out on high fantasy MMORPGs and im also suspicious as to the longevity of a game that launches f2p intentionally.

Driz

Please don't fall into the group that hate on the game because of the first one. Remember that this game will be nothing like the first, only thing similar is the lore really.

It's a gameplay decision. Similar to an fps game's loadout or customising your deck in a card game, it's to impose a limit on what abilities you can use at once. How good you are doesn't rely on how many skills you have, but how you combine them.

And learning how to combine 5 abilities does not take a long time. Learning how to combine 30 abilities takes longer but it also makes you as a player MUCH better than other people trying to do the same thing.

With a GCD based game there is a limit how good you can get with a very limited set of abilities unlike games like Starcraft 2 where the gameplay is simple but the skill level high because of actions per minute.

Lets face it, classes with few abilities for the hardcore gamer tends to get boring pretty fast. I like having lots of abilities to test and try out. I like forming my own playstyle. With 5 abilities that is never going to happen because you and everyone around you is going to learn spell rotations pretty fast. It also means you will be able to setup macros on your keyboard that executes a series of spells to maximize your dps or tanking potential.

And learning how to combine 5 abilities does not take a long time. Learning how to combine 30 abilities takes longer but it also makes you as a player MUCH better than other people trying to do the same thing.

With a GCD based game there is a limit how good you can get with a very limited set of abilities unlike games like Starcraft 2 where the gameplay is simple but the skill level high because of actions per minute.

Lets face it, classes with few abilities for the hardcore gamer tends to get boring pretty fast. I like having lots of abilities to test and try out. I like forming my own playstyle. With 5 abilities that is never going to happen because you and everyone around you is going to learn spell rotations pretty fast. It also means you will be able to setup macros on your keyboard that executes a series of spells to maximize your dps or tanking potential.

And that's the type of game Guild Wars 2 is going to be in, skill based. Where you will choose your "loadout" and fight, you're not going to beat people purely because you can press all these skills, it's about dodging the right attacks, using your energy bar wisely and confirming hits on your target. Guild Wars 2 will not be a hotkey MMO, it will be a skill based action MMORPG.

So the holy trinity is still in the game (tank/Healer/Dps) but you can choose to be whichever you want to be at any point during a fight?

A healer dies, so someone else just starts healing instead?

Edited by Baneberry

No but when you for the first time ventured down the church and got a big fat dude named butcher after you it got exciting!

I'm actually in the Diablo 3 beta atm, and I have to say, it's pretty addicting.

Or it's so you can tactically use a certain weapon, which in turn gives you different moves. Unlike hotkey MMOs where you're giving a very large amount of hotkey slots, which just floods your screen with a lot of abilities which you'll never really use. Having a crap tonne of abilities isn't always a good thing.

Its still a hotkey MMO and will work just like one. Difference is that you will start flicking hotbars in middle of combat to look for certain abilities like if you would press CTRL+# in SWTOR switching between hotbars for abilities.

But that comes down to preference then huh. The fact that it removes the hotkey archetype puts it in a completely different class to mmos like wow and swtor.

And that's the type of game Guild Wars 2 is going to be in, skill based. Where you will choose your "loadout" and fight, you're not going to beat people purely because you can press all these skills, it's about dodging the right attacks, using your energy bar wisely and confirming hits on your target. Guild Wars 2 will not be a hotkey MMO, it will be a skill based action MMORPG.

Just like in the video you have no idea how the game interacts with the player. Break it down into parts and you will see you are playing a hotkey MMO.

And the thing you call skillbased with spell rotations we already have that in PVE raiding in WoW.

Just like in the video you have no idea how the game interacts with the player. Break it down into parts and you will see you are playing a hotkey MMO.

And the thing you call skillbased with spell rotations we already have that in PVE raiding in WoW.

I'm not saying spell rotations are skill based, at all. What is skill based is when you're fighting something, you're going to have to dodge attacks by judging the enemies animation, if you dodge to slow then you're going to be hit. Does that explain it for you?

But that comes down to preference then huh. The fact that it removes the hotkey archetype puts it in a completely different class to mmos like wow and swtor.

Not really. Make a sith inquisitor sorc or similar in SWOTR. Put your melee skills on first page of hotbar 1.

Then make spells on page 2 of hotbar 1.

Then put your healing spells on page 3 of hotbar 1.

Then play your game and switch between the hotbars and you will have removed your holy trinity. Only difference now is that your spec will not change so you will have one spec that is better. But you will have the same interactions and gameplay as GW2.

It's actually still pretty hotkey oriented.

You still target, press the key, and the attack goes off. There are some abilities where you have to "aim", but WoW/TOR already has abilities like this.

Really only difference is GW2 has an active dodge.

So the holy trinity is still in the game (tank/Healer/Dps) but you can choose to be whichever you want to be at any point during a fight?

A healer dies, so someone else just starts healing instead?

it's more along the lines of, you're not changing to a role, you already have abilities for that role. No matter what your character will always have a self healing ability and it is your duty in a boss fight, to dodge attacks and keep yourself healthy, there are no direct healing abilities in GW2 apart form your self heal, so if you die, you can really only blame yourself.

Edited by Daxramas

It's actually still pretty hotkey oriented.

You still target, press the key, and the attack goes off. There are some abilities where you have to "aim", but WoW/TOR already has abilities like this.

Really only difference is GW2 has an active dodge.

That wasn't my point. Yeah, you have buttons to press, but you aren't locked into healing the tank, or even being the tank. You have different skill loadouts based on equipment, but no weapon forces you into a role. You can effectively tank no matter what your loadout, because you're keeping yourself alive, not another player.

Not really. Make a sith inquisitor sorc or similar in SWOTR. Put your melee skills on first page of hotbar 1.

Then play your game and switch between the hotbars and you will have removed your holy trinity. Only difference now is that your spec will not change so you will have one spec that is better. But you will have the same interactions and gameplay as GW2.

Like I said above, it's not purely having a certain skill loadout. You never become a healer or tank. You play as your own separate unit, working in tandem with other units.

Edited by Eathanskies

I am only playing swtor until GW2 comes out the story was ok for my sith warrior but there is no way I can go back and do all the quests just to see another story. I am looking forward to a game that is not a constant gear grind and actually has good fun pvp.

I am only playing swtor until GW2 comes out the story was ok for my sith warrior but there is no way I can go back and do all the quests just to see another story. I am looking forward to a game that is not a constant gear grind and actually has good fun pvp.

I'm on the same boat, i'm happily enjoying SWTOR, but I'm really just waiting for GW2

The Elementalist for eg, at any given time has 36 abilities to use.

Your "you only have to learn this and that" argument pretty much falls short right there

Edited by Fireline

GW2 is trying to be a competitive MMO....LOL.... it will kill itself really. Its not like the orginal GWs was all that great either, idoubt it will bring in new people.

Original GW was a success and it's PVP highly competitive.

The sequel will do fine.

As i read these posts, i can easily say that most of u dont know anythink about gw2 system

Some says there is little skills on bar...

--- Let me give you some info, warriors can use 19 different combination.. and every combination givs you different skill set..

You can use sword,axe,mace as main hand

Shield,warhorn,axe,mace as offhand

Greatsword,hammer,longbow and rifle as two hand

You can swap 2 set while you fighting and thats not all.. there are traits that improve some off skills. You can costumise your set and make tons of strategies..

This system goes all classes with different setups. Like elemental choose his weapon and all attunements change..

Second.. yes there is no trinity and agro system is different. Mob agros to the player who is closer so at fight ppl keep goin in and out there are utility and support skills so its not like tank and spank..

İ am really exited.. hope they make us happy