Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

How The Old Republic can compete and beat Guild Wars 2

dontadow

Guild Wars has eliminated the holy trinity system

[*]SWTOR can not do this without rehauling their game. However, they can take the rift approach. SWTOR could allow multiple builds of characters. Another solution, is to allow players alts to become members of their crew, allowing players to easily change out characters using a quick logout-login process. Sure, DHT is still needed, but at least now players can more easily swap out builds for others.

They have also eliminated advanced classes beyond level 10. Just imagine yourself playing a character that is 1/3 healer, 1/3 dps and 1/3 tank. It would be like having 3x level 10s in this game that you switch between. If you look at the videos you can see they have a very limited number of spells.

I could be wrong and the game could probably get more advanced. But after all the videos and all the comments from their developers it got me thinking this game will fail pretty hard. It will be good for casuals that don't care about how complex and enjoyable a class becomes. But by the looks of it, it does not fit my style. I rather have something with a little more complexity.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do you people even play mmo's or videogames at all...reading this entire post has given me such a headache guild wars 2 will be a good game swtor is not a good game *yet* im a fan of star wars im a fan of fantasy rpg's...the mental conditioning some of you must go threw to have thease My game is better then your game and anyone who says otherwise is just Wrong! and should be shot in the knee with a crossbow 9001 times by a youtube troll mindsets is disturbeing.I have nothing realy to add to this *disscussion* but atleast you have something else to beat other then that poor dead horse now

To a ToR fanboi I'm sure it does.

Also to everyone else

Perfect video of playing a warrior that equals to playing a level 10 warrior in WoW or SWTOR.

Tank 5 abilities

DPS 5 abilities

Healing 5 abilities

Edited by Marmerus

No holy trinity? goodbye competitive raiding. if you don't need a healer, that means you can avoid damage completely. If you can avoid damage completely, that means you can solo every mob in the game.

/facepalm

The holy trinity system means you as a player can play 3 different classes and switch between them.

So you can tank one second and then switch to healer and your 5 tanking abilities gets replaced with 5 healing abilities.

I keep reading this blah that GW2 is revolutionery because they have done away with the trinity...

When i go and read up on this statement i find that all they have done is replace dps / tank / healer with damage / control / support.

Maybe im missing something but that sounds like a trinity model with different names?

Hardly revolutionery imo....

Driz

Greed is the only reason companies charge monthly fees for MMOs. This is a fact. Everquest and UO did it because in the 90s server/bandwidth costs were very high and since people excepted it everyone has done so since.

Server costs and bandwidth are not even published in many companies statements and if they are it is part of a group of costs or as a side note. As it is not a large sum incurred.

Actually I thought they charged a fee to keep the rabble out. =)

The holy trinity in MMO's refers to the 3 distinct but necessary roles people can play in the game.

Tank

Healer

DPS

in most mmo's if you want to defeat any high end content, each of the 3 must be represented in some way in your party.

the boss only dies when the dps reduce its health to 0

dps cant do damage when they are dead so they need a tank to soak the damage for them

tanks cant live forever so they need a healer to keep them alive

healers don't have unlimited resources so the dps need to kill the boss before they run out of healing resources and the whole show falls apart.

unless they somehow changed the concept while i was leveling my assassin.

The holy trinity in MMO's refers to the 3 distinct but necessary roles people can play in the game.

Tank

Healer

DPS

in most mmo's if you want to defeat any high end content, each of the 3 must be represented in some way in your party.

dps cant do damage when they are dead so they need a tank to soak the damage for them

healers don't have unlimited resources so the dps need to kill the boss before they run out of healing resources and the whole show falls apart.

Which is why ArenaNet have removed the Trinity, I don't see the point you're trying to make?

By redirecting malcontents to Guild Wars 2, thereby reducing both server & forum load and improving the game's overall performance, while simultaneously saddling Guild Wars 2 developers & staff with the folks most likely to drag down their game's performance & reputation?

Just a thought.

Which is why ArenaNet have removed the Trinity, I don't see the point you're trying to make?

As per my earlier post from what i read they just renamed the trinity damage / control / support and wrapped up healer into the support role.

so its still a trinity model as far as i can see...

Driz

By redirecting malcontents to Guild Wars 2, thereby reducing both server & forum load and improving the game's overall performance, while simultaneously saddling Guild Wars 2 developers & staff with the folks most likely to drag down their game's performance & reputation?

Just a thought.

Bioware could always use an RPG launcher on the Arenanet building.

Edited by Jaku

As per my earlier post from what i read they just renamed the trinity damage / control / support and wrapped up healer into the support role.

Driz

Yes there's the damage / support / control. But those are not set role for each class, if you make a certain class say an elementalist, you will fill all those roles within what weapon you use as well as what utility skills you've chosen, that's what they mean by removing the Trinity.

Driz

you aren't locked into a certain role by what class you pick, that's why it's a better system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBC_ig73aMs

for the clueless ppl that obviously dont know **** about gw2

and about the thread title: it cant.

From around 6 minutes and forward he is just trolling or really stupid. He don't understand interaction between the player and the game. When you switch weapons your abilities gets switched out. That does not mean you get MORE abilities it means you replace your current ones. So in total you have 5 active abilities tied to your "class" or weapon of choice.

So this is a really dumbed down game and I would not be surprised if it got designed to be converted to consoles. Because clearly the number of buttons on SNES controller is enough to use all your characters abilities.

:

From around 6 minutes and forward he is just trolling or really stupid. He don't understand interaction between the player and the game. When you switch weapons your abilities gets switched out. That does not mean you get MORE abilities it means you replace your current ones. So in total you have 5 active abilities tied to your "class" or weapon of choice.

So this is a really dumbed down game and I would not be surprised if it got designed to be converted to consoles. Because clearly the number of buttons on SNES controller is enough to use all your characters abilities.

They are considering Diablo 3 for the consoles, so anything is possible. :D

Tank

Healer

DPS

The trinity is still there with the exception that you can change spec in middle of combat with the flick of a switch. Meaning you could go from tanking to healing if a healer dies.

This is what they mean with removing the trinity system. Its a nice concept and idea but how it will turn out in the game is something we will have to see.

It's a gameplay decision. Similar to an fps game's loadout or customising your deck in a card game, it's to impose a limit on what abilities you can use at once. How good you are doesn't rely on how many skills you have, but how you combine them.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.