Crash When Tabbing Back Into The Game

Nonumbersfails

First off, I don't need any Monday morning quarterbacks trying to tell me to just not alt-tab. It's a very reasonable expectation to be able to do so, and I've been doing so just fine for a long time now.

On to the issue at hand. Starting today the game will crash when trying to maximize the game after being alt tabbed. It will alt tab out of the game just fine, and I keep the noise going in the background so I know it's running just fine while tabbed out of the game. But when I click on the game on my taskbar to go back to it, it crashes.

No crash dialogue of any kind is generated when this happens.

• 2 weeks later...

On to the issue at hand. Starting today the game will crash when trying to maximize the game after being alt tabbed. It will alt tab out of the game just fine, and I keep the noise going in the background so I know it's running just fine while tabbed out of the game. But when I click on the game on my taskbar to go back to it, it crashes.

No crash dialogue of any kind is generated when this happens.

After launch, the game did that to me for a while; corrected itself; only to come back again in 2014; and make a mysterious re-appearance in 2015. I would use the Windows key to tab out so I could look for datacron coords or some other guide online (I am on a ROG laptop so no second monitor) and when trying to tab back into the game, it would crash leaving no clues as to why.

1. I noticed the game wouldn't crash if I put the game into Windowed mode. So when I was doing something that required me to toggle in and out of the game, I would just flip to windowed mode for the time being. Not ideal but a work-around all the same

2. Someone else mentioned, Nvidia drivers. In the end, for me it was NVidia. Even recently a bad driver caused me a lot of grief with power issues and random crashes. Both NVidia and ATI have inadvertently pushed out bad drivers so I'd try rolling back to the previous version of the driver (if you didn't have a problem previously) and/or updating to the latest version of the video driver.

3. Sometimes, folks have their Windows Update set to auto-install. I turn this off so I can choose which updates to install. Once a week I go in and check the list of updates and toggle off the ones for the video card. I personally prefer to go to Nvidia directly for drivers. Plus, If I am on a stable driver and not having any probs, I don't need or want an auto-update potentially causing issues.... It's the whole why fix what's not broke thinking. However, in the interest of security and stability, I do update at least twice a year.

I hope this helps and even if it doesn't ... at least you aren't alone! :D

Edited by Baby-Girl

1. I noticed the game wouldn't crash if I put the game into Windowed mode. So when I was doing something that required me to toggle in and out of the game, I would just flip to windowed mode for the time being. Not ideal but a work-around all the same

2. Someone else mentioned, Nvidia drivers. In the end, for me it was NVidia. Even recently a bad driver caused me a lot of grief with power issues and random crashes. Both NVidia and ATI have inadvertently pushed out bad drivers so I'd try rolling back to the previous version of the driver (if you didn't have a problem previously) and/or updating to the latest version of the video driver.

3. Sometimes, folks have their Windows Update set to auto-install. I turn this off so I can choose which updates to install. Once a week I go in and check the list of updates and toggle off the ones for the video card. I personally prefer to go to Nvidia directly for drivers. Plus, If I am on a stable driver and not having any probs, I don't need or want an auto-update potentially causing issues.... It's the whole why fix what's not broke thinking. However, in the interest of security and stability, I do update at least twice a year.

I hope this helps and even if it doesn't ... at least you aren't alone! :D

1.) I already run the game in windowed (full screen) mode, was still crashing.

2.) I did try to update my nvidia drivers, which seems to have fixed the issue. I wouldn't really have thought it was this since the problem appeared randomly WITHOUT an nvidia update...

3.) Unfortuantely windows 10 loves to freaking update stuff on its own. incredibly annoying.