companions

bobflarg

I have a quick question regarding your companion friendship levels. I am on my first play through and have seen some posts about making sure to get the level up to 30. Is this for every companion? Or just for a specific few? If it is for a specific few can I get that answer with as few spoilers as possible? I'm not quite to where the most recent expansion is yet but I've unlocked 3 of the companions in my legacy screen for having all the conversations. The only 2 left on my current character are Kira and Doc. Is getting these unlocks enough or do I need to get everyone up really high? Thanks in advance for any help.

Getting everyone up really high is a slight benefit when leveling up a crafting skill, because they get stuff done faster. In combat, they are also more effective tanks/DPS/healers depending on which role you have assigned them, so if you want to have an effective companion for your class story AND an efficient crafter, having two or more companions at high Influence levels can make things much easier.

However, it is not necessary to get all companions to high levels. OCD people like me certainly do go for high levels on all companions, but that is just a personal preference.

The easiest of the Knight companions to level Influence on is T7-01, because you can just run through the Esseles flashpoint 20-30 times (again, you need to be a bit OCD to do that), and if you pick the conversation choices he likes, you can gain 6-7000 Influence per run.

The Legacy unlocks for companions are not from raising their influence. It is for completing all their conversations and missions. To unlock all of the companion conversations/missions, you pretty much need to get through all of your main class story (to the end of Chapter 3).

Raising your companion influence boosts their combat and crew skill performance. You get +50 Presence, +0.5% Crew skill critical chance, and +1.5% efficiency per influence rank. At rank 30 influence the bonuses will be +1500, +15% and +45%, respectively. At rank 50 (max) they would be +2500 Presence, +25% Crit, and +75% efficiency. At high levels, it's more than a "slight" improvement. I have one companion with 40 influence, and at that level crew skills take less than half the time as for a companion with only rank 10 influence.

If you craft a lot, you will probably want to get at least 7 of your companions to a "high" influence rank, or even to max, so you can send 6 of them out at once with max bonuses on their results, and adventure with the 7th. Which ones won't matter much, as there are no longer any companion-specific crew skill bonuses.

If you don't craft, you really only need to boost one companion up. Again, which one won't matter much, as they all can be tank, dps, or heals. The only real difference is some are "ranged" and some are "melee", so whichever works better with how you play, and/or just whichever one you like better.

Edited by Adric_the_Red

The easiest of the Knight companions to level Influence on is T7-01, because you can just run through the Esseles flashpoint 20-30 times (again, you need to be a bit OCD to do that), and if you pick the conversation choices he likes, you can gain 6-7000 Influence per run.

Same thing for Vette/Khem Val on Imp side with Black Talon. With only one "disapproves" option, I can get Vette 6300 influence per run. Once she's up to 30+ run companion gift missions from Underworld Trading and use those gifts on your other companions.

I would like to ask those of you who have leveled companions up to 30 and beyone how you did it. I used the level 2 gifts I could buy on fleet to get all my companions to level 10 but they lose most of their effectiveness after that. I'm sure some use comms to get higher levels but I don't have that many comms after gearing myself up. I do have the one companion I adventure with a bit above 20. I'm interested in other playrs strategies.

I would like to ask those of you who have leveled companions up to 30 and beyone how you did it. I used the level 2 gifts I could buy on fleet to get all my companions to level 10 but they lose most of their effectiveness after that. I'm sure some use comms to get higher levels but I don't have that many comms after gearing myself up. I do have the one companion I adventure with a bit above 20. I'm interested in other playrs strategies.
First of all, don't use the grade 2 gifts from the vendor. They cost 3x as much as the grade 1 gifts, but only give 2x the influence gain.

Second, buy the Legacy unlocks to boost companion influence gain from conversations and gifts. If you do that, you can just buy 70 grade 1 "love" gifts, which will cost you 14k credits and be enough to get your companion from 0 to rank 10 influence.

After that, well, I just use random loot drop gifts, and conversation choices. I recently leveld up a Trooper, used only Aric for adventuring, and got him to like influence 36 by the time I finished Chapter 3 (with full Legacy influence boosts). I did run Esseles a couple times, but only a couple.

For my rank 40 companion (Lana, and with a different character), pretty much the same, except a lot of the gifts were the higher quality grade 5 and 6 gifts from turning in the Alliance boxes. And of course, I didn't have her for all the pre-KotFE stuff, and can't grind Esseles to boost her influence.

Edited by Adric_the_Red

I would certainly prioritise a companion you know youll have access to in KOTFE.

Mild spoiler:

I'd recommend T7, as you get him back

they don't all comeback?

http://massivelyop.com/2015/08/27/swtor-reassures-players-that-all-companions-will-return-in-the-expansion/

The bottom line is that all companions will be available for play in the expansion and affection preserved, although only some of the companions (including a few new ones) are slated to be part of the tale. “When Fallen Empire launches, all of your existing companions remain accessible to you outside of the story chapters,” BioWare posted. “In the KotFE story there is a specific cast of characters that is a part of that ongoing storyline.”

Edited by Bearhide

• 2 weeks later...
Rank 10 = full companion story.
No.

Influence rank has nothing to do with story completion. When you first get a new companion, you can head to the fleet, buy 70 gifts from the vendor, give them to your companion, and get them from zero influence to rank 10 without completing any of their story. Likewise, simply completing the companion conversations and missions will not automatically get them to rank 10. If you don't pick the "right" responses, you can go through all of a companion's conversations and missions and gain virtually zero influence with them. Even if you do choose all the "right" responses, it will take more than just diong that through all their conversations to get them to rank 10 influence.

If you wish to continue in increasing their rank, the comp's stats will increase as well.
Again, no.

Influence rank does not increase the companion's stats. It increases the presence bonus you get when you have that companion summoned. This will increase their bonus damage and healing, and will boost their max health, but doesn't change their "stats" (Mastery, Endurance, Power, etc.). Companion stats will change according to the role you select for them, but for each role, they are exactly the same for every companion at a given character level, regardless of your influence rank with that companion. The only way to increase your companions' stats is to level up your character.

Edited by Adric_the_Red

All of your companions will be lost in KoTFE. You will get some of them back. The ship droids will not return to your ship. But you can still use them to craft after you get them back.

...with one exception...

You can reclaim all the companions you had prior to Kotfe from the terminal on Odesson. So technically you don't loose them permanently and you don't have to wait for them to be brought back. They just aren't usable during Kotfe chapters until the story brings them back.

...with one exception...

You can reclaim all the companions you had prior to Kotfe from the terminal on Odesson. So technically you don't loose them permanently and you don't have to wait for them to be brought back. They just aren't usable during Kotfe chapters until the story brings them back.

Pretty sure I'm still missing companions even via this method ( Khem val comes to mind ) , maybe I need try again.

Pretty sure I'm still missing companions even via this method ( Khem val comes to mind ) , maybe I need try again.

It was bugged for a while, but I could have sworn they fixed it... I haven't reclaimed any of mine for story purposes, but now I feel the need to double check that this is working...

It was bugged for a while, but I could have sworn they fixed it... I haven't reclaimed any of mine for story purposes, but now I feel the need to double check that this is working...

Well it would be worth knowing because I've not checked in a long time since they did make some "fix" to get a few of my comps back but they may have added all back now.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.