Close Range Bug

DarthTyranid

I often notice when I get in those tight spiral dog fights, my shots constantly miss even when my cross hairs are directly on the aim point with the multiple circles indicating a good shot.

Now in a game with real physics and an actual laser hitbox that flies through space and hits enemy hit box, I get why I would miss. While my reticle is on them, the actual position of my laser turrets are firing at an angle that would make hitting them impossible.

But his game does not have that. There is not hit box for lasers. It is an animation that plays and nothing else. Reticle on target +dice roll determines hit with modifications for range. Is there a point where the modification for range actually makes it harder to hit again when they get too close?

It might be the same lag-related issue as with max-range (or close-to-the-edge) lock ons.

Also, it might be noteworthy here:

The interface isn't always accurate. That's an issue with the interface using the camera as fixpoint while the shots originate from the ship. So if an object blocks the path between your ship and your target but doesn't block the path between your camera and your target, the interface looks like you can hit the target but the shots will be blocked by the object.

The closer an opponent is to your ship, the bigger is the relative size of the gap between ship and camera, therefore extreme close range shots tend to miss.

I remember testing that a long time ago (to find out if it's better to pitch up or down while chasing someone around a satellite), so I'm not 100% sure that's how it works. I'll test again.

Edited by Danalon

I often notice when I get in those tight spiral dog fights, my shots constantly miss even when my cross hairs are directly on the aim point with the multiple circles indicating a good shot.

Now in a game with real physics and an actual laser hitbox that flies through space and hits enemy hit box, I get why I would miss. While my reticle is on them, the actual position of my laser turrets are firing at an angle that would make hitting them impossible.

But his game does not have that. There is not hit box for lasers. It is an animation that plays and nothing else. Reticle on target +dice roll determines hit with modifications for range. Is there a point where the modification for range actually makes it harder to hit again when they get too close?

This has been a constant problem at ranges under 1000m since launch I suspect it has something to with your latency. While I'm on west coast servers I have 90ms and see it quite often but while I'm on east coast ones I'm down to 20ms and see it much less. (Although it's still there)

While you super close to your targets simply aim for the edge of the reticule in the direction they are moving.

For example:

If your target is going straight up simply place your cursor dead center on the very edge of the top of the circle you normally aim to hit centered.

Since it's so complicated to type out I'm going to do it again with different language in case someone still doesn't understand.

When under 1000m always lead your target slightly but completely take your aiming cursor outside the circle.

I know it's not that clear in text but that's the best I can do, if you or someone else still doesn't understand let me know and I'll try to explain it better or make a video or something.

Hope that helps. :)

This has been a constant problem at ranges under 1000m since launch I suspect it has something to with your latency. While I'm on west coast servers I have 90ms and see it quite often but while I'm on east coast ones I'm down to 20ms and see it much less. (Although it's still there)

While you super close to your targets simply aim for the edge of the reticule in the direction they are moving.

For example:

If your target is going straight up simply place your cursor dead center on the very edge of the top of the circle you normally aim to hit centered.

Since it's so complicated to type out I'm going to do it again with different language in case someone still doesn't understand.

When under 1000m always lead your target slightly but completely take your aiming cursor outside the circle.

I know it's not that clear in text but that's the best I can do, if you or someone else still doesn't understand let me know and I'll try to explain it better or make a video or something.

Hope that helps. :)

Sounds like I need to lead my target but still within the reticle for the rules of 'inside reticle=roll to hit, outside reticle=automiss. But when I shoot at edge of reticle at close range while spinning, the latency difference means I will actually be hitting center like I want. So I am not leading my target for physics, but for latency.

Sounds like I need to lead my target but still within the reticle for the rules of 'inside reticle=roll to hit, outside reticle=automiss. But when I shoot at edge of reticle at close range while spinning, the latency difference means I will actually be hitting center like I want. So I am not leading my target for physics, but for latency.

Exactly.

It probably happens at all ranges, but past 1000m or so the angular distance moved by the target during the period of latency is so small that it has such a small effect that it's not noticeable or worth correcting for.