Playable species question

BroodyGambit

OK followup question. I think I royally screwed this up. I got my character to level 10 on Ebon Hawk server and purchased the chiss species. Apparently all my friends play on the Bastion server and when I tried to play there I couldn't make a chiss character. Do I just have to get a character to level 10 to unlock that ability since I already purchased it or am I up the creek and have to pay more money to unlock it again.

So unlocking a species with cartel coin is only good on same server? Not account wide?

Are you sure?

I purchased the Togruta species with cartel coins and I can see it available on other servers as well.

Hmm... perhaps it's not supposed to be... in that case, don't tell anyone.

[Edit] Actually, now that I think about it, I believe I had the choice when I made the purchase and I chose account wide. I think.... it's been a while and hadn't given it thought

Edited by Bearhide

Species unlocks bought with credits (from Legacy window) are legacy-wide only. As are ones unlocked just by reaching 50.

Ones bought from the CM with cartel coins (or ones purchased on GTN which originally came from the CM) are account-wide. Togruta and Cathar are all from CM and are all account-wide.

At least that’s my understanding.

Edited by DocDAM

So pretty much I just wasted 600 Cartel points on a species unlock since I really needed it on a different server.

Not an entire waste. As has been pointed out, you can transfer a character for 75 CC. You could either transfer your current Chiss character, or create a new Chiss character (on the server where Chiss is available) and transfer it to the Bastion.

Edited by JediQuaker

Ones bought from the CM with cartel coins (or ones purchased on GTN which originally came from the CM) are account-wide.

No. That ONLY applies to Togruta and Cathar.

"Species Unlock: Togruta" and "Species Unlock: Cathar" are account-wide and don't have a level requirement to be consumed. All the other species unlocks on the Cartel Market are called "Legacy Species Unlock: [species]". They specifically state in their descriptions that they apply the unlock to your Legacy and that they require level 10 to consume.

• 2 months later...
No. That ONLY applies to Togruta and Cathar.

"Species Unlock: Togruta" and "Species Unlock: Cathar" are account-wide and don't have a level requirement to be consumed. All the other species unlocks on the Cartel Market are called "Legacy Species Unlock: [species]". They specifically state in their descriptions that they apply the unlock to your Legacy and that they require level 10 to consume.

I wonder why they made this difference. Doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

If I remember correctly, when you transfer a character from one server to another, the legacy that is taken into account on the new server is the one which has the highest level among the two.

It means that if we transfer a character from an "A" server (legacy level 30) to a "B" server (legacy level 10) for example, the legacy of the server "A" should be automatically applied to the server "B".

IMHO so if this is not disturbing for you to lose your legacy on server "B", a character transfer from "A" to "B" would allow you in theory to have access to all the "A" server's unlocked species.

I have already used this legacy transfer system once, but I can't confirm if it unlocks the species too.

Maybe someone could confirm?

Edited by Goldorhino

I wonder why they made this difference. Doesn't seem to make much sense to me.
The difference is Cathar and Togruta were not originally part of the game. So there were no "default" classes fior them, and thus no way to unlock them in your legacy by starting one and playing it to 50. The only way to get them was/is by paying Cartel Coins for them.

The difference is Cathar and Togruta were not originally part of the game. So there were no "default" classes fior them, and thus no way to unlock them in your legacy by starting one and playing it to 50. The only way to get them was/is by paying Cartel Coins for them.

Sure, but they could have nevertheless decided to make it also just per legacy and not for the entire acount, or the other way, that all species unlocks become account wide and not just legacy wide, since what does it matter on which server one has played a species or worse bought it for real money. So, I still fail to see the need for the difference regardless of how that might have come to pass. Since knowing how something happens doesn'T mean it was the only or best solution, and by no means does it mean they cannot revisit their decision and adjust that for the future.

If I remember correctly, when you transfer a character from one server to another, the legacy that is taken into account on the new server is the one which has the highest level among the two.

It means that if we transfer a character from an "A" server (legacy level 30) to a "B" server (legacy level 10) for example, the legacy of the server "A" should be automatically applied to the server "B".

IMHO so if this is not disturbing for you to lose your legacy on server "B", a character transfer from "A" to "B" would allow you in theory to have access to all the "A" server's unlocked species.

I have already used this legacy transfer system once, but I can't confirm if it unlocks the species too.

Maybe someone could confirm?

Your description of legacy transfer doesn't match my understanding of it:

* If the account has no existing legacy on the new server, the old server's legacy is copied there, including its name.

* If there is an existing legacy:

** The existing name is left alone.

** The target server's legacy level will become the higher of the two, presumably including fractional completion of the next level if the basic level is the same.

** Any unlockable thing that is unlocked on either will be unlocked on the target server. (Old HAD A unlocked and B locked, target HAD B unlocked and A locked, target WILL HAVE both A and B unlocked.)

** Any stronghold that becomes unlocked by the above will be in a "deactivated" state, and must be activated.

** The target server's legacy level will become the higher of the two, presumably including fractional completion of the next level if the basic level is the same.

** Any unlockable thing that is unlocked on either will be unlocked on the target server. (Old HAD A unlocked and B locked, target HAD B unlocked and A locked, target WILL HAVE both A and B unlocked.)

I couldn't tell if this is the case, since I transferred my character to a server where I had an legacy level 1.

Thank you for that clarification.

In all cases, a character transfer should solve the OP's problem.

This was the main purpose of my message :)