The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Pyro PT - PVP questions...

BonnerFett

I have only recently (a few days ago) picked up Pyro in pvp and this is my two creds.

The only burst you'll have is Flaming Fist, Rail Shot crit and Immolate, and that's like 20k before defenses. The problem is, after you do this you can only use dots or flamethrower, maybe some flame bursts as you wait for another flaming fist if the target is dying.

Scorch is, imo, a joke with its 30 second duration, just like our buffed Flamethrower does less damage than Shield tech's Firestorm.

Dotspread isn't something i'd advise, given the difficulty of landing Flamethrower and having to IM someone before. By the way, (I think) only the first tick of Flamethrower will spread IM. Trying to spread CQC with sweep is in almost every case useless.

All that being said, I love the spec's defenses and utility. It's nice to grapple a sage and root him with Flaming Fist, 35 sec cd on AoE taunt is very nice, esp with the utility. The only survivabiliy we have is 30% DR during Kolto Overload, but IMO it turns a somewhat unreliable ability into almost-God mode. the CD reduction is amazing as well, and I'd advise you to take the 2nd stunbreaker utility.

I keep switching back and forth between AP and Pyro, but I think I'll stick to Pyro, due to it's ability to defend nodes (2 stunbreakers amazing vs stealthers and good 1v1 potential) and team utility for dog-piling. I still have a lot to learn, especially about dot-ing people and using Flamethrower.

I have only recently (a few days ago) picked up Pyro in pvp and this is my two creds.

The only burst you'll have is Flaming Fist, Rail Shot crit and Immolate, and that's like 20k before defenses. The problem is, after you do this you can only use dots or flamethrower, maybe some flame bursts as you wait for another flaming fist if the target is dying.

Scorch is, imo, a joke with its 30 second duration, just like our buffed Flamethrower does less damage than Shield tech's Firestorm.

Dotspread isn't something i'd advise, given the difficulty of landing Flamethrower and having to IM someone before. By the way, (I think) only the first tick of Flamethrower will spread IM. Trying to spread CQC with sweep is in almost every case useless.

All that being said, I love the spec's defenses and utility. It's nice to grapple a sage and root him with Flaming Fist, 35 sec cd on AoE taunt is very nice, esp with the utility. The only survivabiliy we have is 30% DR during Kolto Overload, but IMO it turns a somewhat unreliable ability into almost-God mode. the CD reduction is amazing as well, and I'd advise you to take the 2nd stunbreaker utility.

I keep switching back and forth between AP and Pyro, but I think I'll stick to Pyro, due to it's ability to defend nodes (2 stunbreakers amazing vs stealthers and good 1v1 potential) and team utility for dog-piling. I still have a lot to learn, especially about dot-ing people and using Flamethrower.

Shield Tech Heat blast btw after the AoE buff is great. I see regularly 2.5k hits to 3-4 rivals.

Flaming Fist root is good against stealths also. The only better defense compared to 30% dr of AP.

Channeling Flamethrower in 1.5s is the way for the spec to decent dps. Or reduce the time by 0.5s per stack.

Edited by Aetideus

• 2 weeks later...

i actually came here thinking of posting about pyro. everyone has been telling me that its trash and worthless and doesnt kill anything and i decide to see for my self and well, they are wrong. it kills very well :) iv been finishing WZs with multiple solo kills, top damage, even a couple of 1vs2s and the kolto overload buff is amazing! Pyro is a great sustained DPS alternative. not to mention how horribly unpleasant scorch is :D. Dont get me wrong AP does have an edge over it if your looking for a nuker class but Pyrotech is definitely still relevant.

atm my rotation is 2 dots, flame fist, rail shot, flame burst, immolate, flame thrower. repeat and to burst i just hit my shoulder cannon and crit buff.

Edited by collapsegen

i actually came here thinking of posting about pyro. everyone has been telling me that its trash and worthless and doesnt kill anything and i decide to see for my self and well, they are wrong. it kills very well :) iv been finishing WZs with multiple solo kills, top damage, even a couple of 1vs2s and the kolto overload buff is amazing! Pyro is a great sustained DPS alternative. not to mention how horribly unpleasant scorch is :D. Dont get me wrong AP does have an edge over it if your looking for a nuker class but Pyrotech is definitely still relevant.

atm my rotation is 2 dots, flame fist, rail shot, flame burst, immolate, flame thrower. repeat and to burst i just hit my shoulder cannon and crit buff.

what dot's do you mean? i play pyro in pvp is this rotation actually for pvp?

Yes, Pyro/Plasma actually has 3 dots that you'll want on a single target before setting up your burst. Combine that with shoulder rockets and It helps create the burst effect that is missing from our current single target specials. Flaming Fist will crit around 10k, Rail Shot around 10k, Immolate around 12k. Those specials alone aren't as hard hitting as some other specs out there, but when you take into account the dots and shoulder rockets on top of that, we can definately catch a target off guard.

Pyro/Plasma's bread and butter comes from the AOE pressure it can pump out, even though Flame Thrower could stand to be a little more powerful + QOL changes.