The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Question from a returning player

Milandalorian

Hi all,

Returning now after some years of being away and planning or re-running a BH so I am looking for some advice.

Firstly, shall I roll Merc or PT (I mainly play PvE but may play some PvP also)?

Secondly, which disciplines would you recommend I do or stay away from?

Many thanks in advance!

Hey,

Thanks for the info! When I stopped playing like a year or two ago Pyro was to be stayed away from. I see now it has been buffed? Might not be a bad idea given that it seems fun. AP and Shied have been nerfed or?

Shield tech was indirectly nerfed due to the gearing change making it so every piece of tank gear is forced to have defense, instead of having the option to take absorb instead.

AP is still really good, though not because of its raw damage, but rather how well the damage translates into an operation environment, since its completely mobile and quite bursty.

Pyro, while technically better than AP, is squishier, much less bursty (so worse for PvP), and realistically you want both a susceptible and a sundered debuff on the target before it starts properly outperforming AP (you don't need sundered to make pyro better than AP, but if there's no sundered debuff in the raid, then going AP for the sundered debuff will do more for the total dps of the raid group than going pyro would).

Overall, all 3 specs are great, but its not the faceroll it once was by just going AP and laughing at everything.

Shield tech was indirectly nerfed due to the gearing change making it so every piece of tank gear is forced to have defense, instead of having the option to take absorb instead.

AP is still really good, though not because of its raw damage, but rather how well the damage translates into an operation environment, since its completely mobile and quite bursty.

Pyro, while technically better than AP, is squishier, much less bursty (so worse for PvP), and realistically you want both a susceptible and a sundered debuff on the target before it starts properly outperforming AP (you don't need sundered to make pyro better than AP, but if there's no sundered debuff in the raid, then going AP for the sundered debuff will do more for the total dps of the raid group than going pyro would).

Overall, all 3 specs are great, but its not the faceroll it once was by just going AP and laughing at everything.

Wow, thanks loads for the info. So that covers PT. I may try out the Pyrotech since I played AP before (whilst it was a bit broken).

In terms of Mercs are they as under powered as people on the forums say?

On a separate note, were you the one who wrote those guides? I'm pretty sure I used the AP one when I was using AP PT over a year ago :)

Ok cool thanks! I will probably roll an arsenal merc at some later stage. Right now I am rolling a pyrotech to see how it goes!

I actually just rolled a plasmatech :)

Fair warning though: they are inferior to tactics/AP and are considered a bad class for PvP. That being said, just go with whatever you like.

Edited by Greezt

I actually just rolled a plasmatech :)

Fair warning though: they are inferior to tactics/AP and are considered a bad class for PvP. That being said, just go with whatever you like.

Thanks for the heads up! I only really play for fun so they don't have to over perform. Still nobody wants their character smeared across the galaxy :)