The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Star Wars 7 cast

DARTHOSIRUS

Was a clever marketing decision. It is obvious Disney put in a significant amount of thought regarding the lead roles. They ultimately cast 2 unknowns to bring back the Original Star Wars nostalgia, and this time the lead man is black and has a white female by his side. Star Wars fans were hellbound to see this movie no matter who the lead man was, so that is not an issue especially if there is also an attractive white female lead, but by casting Boyega now Disney can draw in the black crowds therefore selling more tickets. Star Wars fans are generally white, and most of the iconic characters are white, with the exception of Mace Windu, Lando Calrissian, and the different alien species. Casting Boyega in a side role probably would not have attracted the black audience, and it would make no sense to cast him as the villain since Ren wears a mask most the time. Boyega and Ridley did a fine job and I never really paid much attention to the fact he was black, also going with unknowns made the characters even more believable. If they had cast say Michael B. Jordan and Megan Fox then people might see the actors more than the characters they play. All in all it was a good movie and a good cast, and so far Awakens has grossed over a billion worldwide, and Disney's clever casting decision no doubt played a big role drawing from different demographics. Edited by DARTHOSIRUS

Well, Rey was the main character, but Finn was the deuteragonist (second main).

Was their choices based on marketing research or PCness? Quite possibly! Was it based on acting? Likely part of it, though I've seen better acting, and where they limited to unknowns (only accepting), did non unknowns even get a chance at the part?

It's more like, Daisy was the lead actress with Boyega by her side.

But I thought they both did a fine job, and will only continue to improve. I was especially impressed with Daisy because she doesn't have much of an acting background, just some bit parts before this, whereas Boyega does have a movie or two under his belt (which is how JJ was aware of him).

It's more like, Daisy was the lead actress with Boyega by her side.

But I thought they both did a fine job, and will only continue to improve. I was especially impressed with Daisy because she doesn't have much of an acting background, just some bit parts before this, whereas Boyega does have a movie or two under his belt (which is how JJ was aware of him).

I don't see why it's a big deal that he's black. Honestly I'm more upset that all the main characters are human. Chewie doesn't really count, because he's really minor in his movie. I guess they looked at the last non-human with a major role (jar-jar) and decided not to risk it again

I don't see why it's a big deal that he's black. Honestly I'm more upset that all the main characters are human. Chewie doesn't really count, because he's really minor in his movie. I guess they looked at the last non-human with a major role (jar-jar) and decided not to risk it again

I think it became a big deal when people started making it a big deal. I remember one of the first things I heard about TFA was how great it was that none of the new leads were white males, and how it was a positive thing for the non white males to finally be in the lead of a big movie. :p As soon as someone said that, you were going to have people saying that was the point of their casting.