Massive latency issues since upgrading to Windows 10

Pathlight-

I've been having major lag spikes ingame since installing Windows 10. I did everything which is spelled out in This guide (except unchecking the "read only" box for the Swtor folders in Appdata as for some reason they immediately revert back to read only.

I used to have a steady 30ms on Windows 8 and now it fluctuates wildly between 30ms and 800 or 1kms. I made sure to authorize all Swtor processes in the Windows firewall and even uninstalled my antivirus to see if the problem comes from there.

If anyone knows how to fix this issue, I am definitely interested.

Thanks a lot.

Edited by Pathlight-

if you are wireless at present try a Ethernet connection and see if the spikes persist

also grab http://www.pingplotter.com and set it to the servers when playing and see if anything appears when you see the spikes.

maybe the spikes are from something other then the win 10 update or it maybe driver related with the network adapter , hard to say from here

I've been having major lag spikes ingame since installing Windows 10. I did everything which is spelled out in This guide (except unchecking the "read only" box for the Swtor folders in Appdata as for some reason they immediately revert back to read only.

I used to have a steady 30ms on Windows 8 and now it fluctuates wildly between 30ms and 800 or 1kms. I made sure to authorize all Swtor processes in the Windows firewall and even uninstalled my antivirus to see if the problem comes from there.

If anyone knows how to fix this issue, I am definitely interested.

Thanks a lot.

Your first mistake was 'upgrading' to Windows 10.

Network card drivers.

Windows 10's Windows update forcefully installed a new one on my PC, and I had the same issue. Restoring the old one always solved it.

Though, with the last major update, it succeeded to make it appear as if the new one was the only one my PC ever had installed. I had to look for an old driver package, to solve it again.

You might try digging this possibility.

also look at your apps win 10 adds some and some are heavy resource addicts I shut down steam and a few others too that were heavily drawing power like a dark lord.

My worst experience is in KOTFE alliance base that will suck your brains out quicker than a zombie on speed.

Network card drivers.

Windows 10's Windows update forcefully installed a new one on my PC, and I had the same issue. Restoring the old one always solved it.

Though, with the last major update, it succeeded to make it appear as if the new one was the only one my PC ever had installed. I had to look for an old driver package, to solve it again.

Yea, many people like to blame Windows 10, and if you like, I suppose you could in this case, but really a lot of computer issues are really driver issues.

Windows does a decent job of driver fixing and in some cases it really does help. But sometimes you do have to go digging.

Keep in mind that Windows has to support nearly unlimited computer configurations, there are upsides and downsides to this.

It is also worth considering a clean install of Windows 10, which you can do using a Windows 7 or 8 key. Upgrades work well most of the time, but they don't 100% of the time.

Network card drivers.

This /5char

Did you jiggle the cable?

I'm on Wifi. Tried connecting through Ethernet but it's the same thing. Closed all apps that may interfere and disabled Windows Firewall but the lag spikes are still there.

I set Ping Plotter to Tofn's IP address but I don't really understand the results of the trace. Seems like all the steps of the chain (if that makes any sense) are either green (when the latency is sub 200ms) and they all turn yellow or red during spikes. So I'm not sure how to pinpoint the problem.

Updated all my drivers and it didn't resolve anything.

The weird thing is, for anything else my internet is as fast as ever, I can download a 20gb game in 2-3 hours but Swtor still craps out. This is just bizarre.

Edited by Pathlight-

Looking at Pingplotter a bit more carefully, it seems the packets loss comes from this link:

ae45-0.nipst101.Paris.francetelecom.net

Not sure if there is a way to bypass it. I'm not very knowledgeable about those things.

Target Name: tabu90013.ea.com

IP: 159.153.73.70

Date/Time: 12/30/2015 10:40:20 PM to 12/30/2015 11:10:19 PM

Hop Sent Err PL% Min Max Avg Host Name / [iP]

1 1760 32 1.8 1 2646 94 livebox.home [192.168.1.1]

2 1762 0 0.0 2 2684 118 [80.10.123.27]

3 1762 2 0.1 1 2634 117 [10.123.179.10]

4 1762 118 6.7 2 2585 117 ae45-0.nipst101.Paris.francetelecom.net [193.252.159.42]

5 1762 3 0.2 2 2327 119 [193.252.137.10]

6 1762 2 0.1 2 2527 119 level3-3.GW.opentransit.net [193.251.255.218]

7 1762 1 0.1 20 2831 138 ae-0-4.bar1.Dublin1.Level3.net [4.69.153.237]

8 1762 1 0.1 21 2827 138 [213.242.106.234]

9 1762 1 0.1 21 2849 142 [159.153.72.10]

10 1762 1 0.1 22 2606 147 tabu90013.ea.com [159.153.73.70]

Your issue is local

There should be no packet loss at the router , this will have an impact on everything real time, downloading wont really see this but the game will

Edited by OwenBrooks

Your issue is local

There should be no packet loss at the router , this will have an impact on everything real time, downloading wont really see this but the game will

I see. Any reason why this may be happening ?

Looking at the ping timings I would of initially thought if that test was done wireless it is likely to be a wireless issue.

but if you get the same results on a Ethernet connection ? not sure it maybe the router itself

When Using http://www.pingplotter.com and set to the server , save the graph image as a jpg and post it here will see if that provides anything further , but I wont get a chance to look at it for about 8 hours.

Ensure the upload isn't getting flooded on the link

Edit - if you set pingplotter to just 192.168.1.1 what does it record ?

Edited by OwenBrooks

Looking at the ping timings I would of initially thought if that test was done wireless it is likely to be a wireless issue.

but if you get the same results on a Ethernet connection ? not sure it maybe the router itself

When Using http://www.pingplotter.com and set to the server , save the graph image as a jpg and post it here will see if that provides anything further , but I wont get a chance to look at it for about 8 hours.

Ensure the upload isn't getting flooded on the link

Edit - if you set pingplotter to just 192.168.1.1 what does it record ?

Sounds good, thanks man.

Here's the link to the jpg of the trace

It is certainly local , have you tried a clean install/upgrade of the network adapter drivers ?

That image is only showing loss at the router though, where the results above is showing elevated ping and packetloss all through

Edited by OwenBrooks

It is certainly local , have you tried a clean install/upgrade of the network adapter drivers ?

That image is only showing loss at the router though, where the results above is showing elevated ping and packetloss all through

Those are 2 different traces. I restarted my router in between the 2 which seems to have reduced the lag spikes (though not completely removed them).

I will try and do a clean install of the network adapter drivers.