Need advice on Sentinel PVP.

Ponku

Hello.

Does anyone know of any good Sentinel PVP builds? I'm using a pve combat sentinel guide from dulfy so far, but it works rather poor for me in pvp and i was thinking of maybe changing it for something that would be more fun in unranked warzones and maybe someday later for ranked,

Right now all 3 of your specs are viable for PvP. It all depends what you're looking to do. Number farm? Kill potential? Utility and Flexibility? What's the setting? 8v8? (solo ranked) 4v4? or group ranked 4v4?

Watchman has the highest potential for number farm in 8v8 and 4v4 group ranked, however, you need to effectively maintain up-time on your single target and throw in your dotspread (Force Sweep) on as many targets possible. That can be a bit of a challenge to do sometimes, so it's somewhat less reliable on 8v8, but a tad more reliable in 4v4 group ranked with a cleave comp. I wouldn't recommend it for solo, as it is highly unlikely you will be able to maximize it's potential in such a short time.

Combat has highest kill potential out of the 3 specs, arguably the highest burst in the game. It shines in 4v4 group ranked, and can do well in solo and 8v8. However, because of it's burst coming in a predictable and short window, it can be easy to shut down your kill window. Therefore it would be probably safe to say you might find it quite disruptive during 8v8 with all the random aoe CC, pushbacks, and stuns that go out. Not to mention you are tad squishy in Combat as compared to the other 3, so without proper support, you can burn out pretty quickly vs a coordinated team.

Concentration has a humongous burst and quite a few perks. While less kill potential than Combat, it still packs quite the punch. You get immunity to push backs and stuns, and a chance to mitigate any kind of yellow damage, on a pretty short CD too. The burst is based off a long proc, so it's not as delicate as Combat. You have a big amount of rage pool to work with. And it is slightly more tankier than Combat. Making it the favorite for 8v8. It can also do well in solo, but falls somewhat short in group ranked 4v4.

All 3 can be brought to all 3 settings, but they each excel in different areas. A small tip: While PvP is messy and there is no "set rotation". You should always try to mimic as much of the PvE rotation in the PvP setting as you can. As it is a dps boost. I would recommend you study the actual discipline and study a Priority System over a set rotation, the rest should fall into place. Hope this helped. Best of luck.

Right now all 3 of your specs are viable for PvP. It all depends what you're looking to do. Number farm? Kill potential? Utility and Flexibility? What's the setting? 8v8? (solo ranked) 4v4? or group ranked 4v4?

Watchman has the highest potential for number farm in 8v8 and 4v4 group ranked, however, you need to effectively maintain up-time on your single target and throw in your dotspread (Force Sweep) on as many targets possible. That can be a bit of a challenge to do sometimes, so it's somewhat less reliable on 8v8, but a tad more reliable in 4v4 group ranked with a cleave comp. I wouldn't recommend it for solo, as it is highly unlikely you will be able to maximize it's potential in such a short time.

Combat has highest kill potential out of the 3 specs, arguably the highest burst in the game. It shines in 4v4 group ranked, and can do well in solo and 8v8. However, because of it's burst coming in a predictable and short window, it can be easy to shut down your kill window. Therefore it would be probably safe to say you might find it quite disruptive during 8v8 with all the random aoe CC, pushbacks, and stuns that go out. Not to mention you are tad squishy in Combat as compared to the other 3, so without proper support, you can burn out pretty quickly vs a coordinated team.

Concentration has a humongous burst and quite a few perks. While less kill potential than Combat, it still packs quite the punch. You get immunity to push backs and stuns, and a chance to mitigate any kind of yellow damage, on a pretty short CD too. The burst is based off a long proc, so it's not as delicate as Combat. You have a big amount of rage pool to work with. And it is slightly more tankier than Combat. Making it the favorite for 8v8. It can also do well in solo, but falls somewhat short in group ranked 4v4.

All 3 can be brought to all 3 settings, but they each excel in different areas. A small tip: While PvP is messy and there is no "set rotation". You should always try to mimic as much of the PvE rotation in the PvP setting as you can. As it is a dps boost. I would recommend you study the actual discipline and study a Priority System over a set rotation, the rest should fall into place. Hope this helped. Best of luck.

I love your reply here as I am also struggling on whether to choose Watchman or Combat for my brand new Sentinel. FPS/Ping/etc is not an issue as I have a decent rig and great connection and I am used to very high-maintenance "twitchy" classes from over a decade of MMO PVP.

Is Watchman really on par with Combat? Some of the older posts (before 4.0) seemed to suggest that Combat was far superior for PvP. Now that 4.0 has dropped, has that changed, resulting in both being equally effective? If they are not equal, then what makes one superior to the other for PvP?

Thanks in advance!

Could you elaborate on the bold part? What chance are you referring to, and what is it from? This doesn't ring a bell for me, and I play a concentration sentinel (but it is not my most commonly played, I consider myself to have three "mains" at 65, and sentinel is my first "alt" 65, so I'm not an expert)

Edited by E-Zekiel

• 2 weeks later...
Could you elaborate on the bold part? What chance are you referring to, and what is it from? This doesn't ring a bell for me, and I play a concentration sentinel (but it is not my most commonly played, I consider myself to have three "mains" at 65, and sentinel is my first "alt" 65, so I'm not an expert)

Sure thing! (I apologize for the long wait, I haven't been online in a while.)

Concentrated Defense is a level 60 talent that grants us a 10% Defense Bonus when we use Concentrated Slice. Because this is a flat Defense, vs a ranged or melee chance, it gives us 10% resist chance, which, when applied to an ability that does damage has the chance to cancel out not only the damage, but the effect as well. Since most 8 second cc however does not emit damage, you cannot prevent the effect. But seeing as most stuns is tied to some type of damage, you have 10% chance to avoid all of them. Hope this helped!

Edited by Lennm