The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Is DPS VG dead for real?

Pavel_Minoan

Hey, just a person from 2012 coming back, so don't expect me to know much.

I've been looking for a class with a good potential, and althou I love healing as offspec, I decided to give a go to blaster rifle class.

And from what I can find in the internets, everyone complains that VG was OP DPS, got nerfed, and now interesting to everyone only as a Tank.

I am looking forward for a class with different edges, so can you tell me, if I am not planning to do Operations like at all(not Nightmare definately) and planning to gear mostly from 5 man dungeons, will current DPS output be enough, and are there any guides? I found only tanking VG guide on duffy, but I've been away for damn too long to know a thing

I've been looking for a class with a good potential, and althou I love healing as offspec, I decided to give a go to blaster rifle class.

And from what I can find in the internets, everyone complains that VG was OP DPS, got nerfed, and now interesting to everyone only as a Tank.

I am looking forward for a class with different edges, so can you tell me, if I am not planning to do Operations like at all(not Nightmare definately) and planning to gear mostly from 5 man dungeons, will current DPS output be enough, and are there any guides? I found only tanking VG guide on duffy, but I've been away for damn too long to know a thing

VG DPS is still one of the best. What it lacks in dummy DPS capabilities, it more than makes up for with the fact that played right, you lose literally nothing in a boss fight (especially compared to other classes) and in fact your DPS potential goes up (e.g. getting AoEd gives more resources).

Dulfy still hasn't released the 4.0 translation for the Powertech guide to Vanguard terms (because I believe she's still in the middle of releasing all the guides she's getting sent to her), though it could be coming Soon-ish™. Same with the Plasmatech/Pyrotech guides.

You can find a version of the guide without the gearing section in my sig - just click the 3.0 link, and note that the guide was written for 3.0 (so there are a couple of inconsistencies fixed up with the 4.0 guide, but you have to speed mandalorian for that)

Trust TAC.

Plus, if you really don't plan to go for the hardest of the hardest(NiM etc), you can freely play whatever you wish. Really, there isn't a thing stopping you from playing a FP in whatever class and in whatever discipline you choose. As for guides: (oh right, you haven't been here for a while-I can't talk to you like I'd with TAC for example)

Use the 3,0 guides as a starting point. I am sure you'll figure it out from there:

Tactics + PlasmaTech:

http://dulfy.net/2014/12/07/swtor-3-0-vanguard-tactics-and-plasmatech-dps-guide-by-kwerty/

(oh hai thar TAC!)

VG DPS is still one of the best. What it lacks in dummy DPS capabilities, it more than makes up for with the fact that played right, you lose literally nothing in a boss fight (especially compared to other classes) and in fact your DPS potential goes up (e.g. getting AoEd gives more resources).

Dulfy still hasn't released the 4.0 translation for the Powertech guide to Vanguard terms (because I believe she's still in the middle of releasing all the guides she's getting sent to her), though it could be coming Soon-ish™. Same with the Plasmatech/Pyrotech guides.

You can find a version of the guide without the gearing section in my sig - just click the 3.0 link, and note that the guide was written for 3.0 (so there are a couple of inconsistencies fixed up with the 4.0 guide, but you have to speed mandalorian for that)

Kwerty when they do dat Pyro will work in PvP? :(

• 4 weeks later...

VG's pretty weak at the moment. Never had a problem with Chapters thru 9 with any other class except for the VG. VG currently is highly noticeable as MUCH weaker than the other classes after the last nerf. Glass without the cannon.

Still trying to figure out the FAILED LOGIC of why they would Nerf one of the least played classes? Now its Force classes everywhere....:mad:

Edited by Blaaine

VG's pretty weak at the moment. Never had a problem with Chapters thru 9 with any other class except for the VG. VG currently is highly noticeable as MUCH weaker than the other classes after the last nerf. Glass without the cannon.

Still trying to figure out the FAILED LOGIC of why they would Nerf one of the least played classes? Now its Force classes everywhere....:mad:

Least played... glass canon without canon?

You must be trolling, they are on of the most played classes and a glass canon without the glass.

My main was PT before I took a break, now I just compared him to warrior and it made me really sad - so much more defense AND damage, also now they even have pretty much the same movement freedom. Playing PT I really feel that I'm gimping myself. Why did they do this?.. :sul_confused:

My main was PT before I took a break, now I just compared him to warrior and it made me really sad - so much more defense AND damage, also now they even have pretty much the same movement freedom. Playing PT I really feel that I'm gimping myself. Why did they do this?.. :sul_confused:

What happened was AP was the strongest discipline in the game... without taking into account its 25k auto-crit, its ludicrous mobility (Warriors may have as much movement bonuses, but they're still stuck in melee range), and the fact it gets stronger under constant fire (unlike most disciplines which get worse).

So obviously, this had to be fixed.

P.S. A PT Still has the potential to be the best class in the game for almost every fight right now, despite having poor dummy dps. For example, i'm consistently in the 7k-8k dps range in any fight with adds when specced pyro, and any fight with outgoing AoE gets me at least 6k dps in AP (Note: This is nightmare mode without a nightmare fury crystal).

Edited by TACeMossie

What happened was AP was the strongest discipline in the game... without taking into account its 25k auto-crit, its ludicrous mobility (Warriors may have as much movement bonuses, but they're still stuck in melee range), and the fact it gets stronger under constant fire (unlike most disciplines which get worse).

So obviously, this had to be fixed.

P.S. A PT Still has the potential to be the best class in the game for almost every fight right now, despite having poor dummy dps. For example, i'm consistently in the 7k-8k dps range in any fight with adds when specced pyro, and any fight with outgoing AoE gets me at least 6k dps in AP (Note: This is nightmare mode without a nightmare fury crystal).

I'm not talking about endgame - I don't play it, just about ordinary life of a casual player with dailies, fps and something else sometimes. Maybe AP is good for endgame, but just for playing - very limited. I liked to play my PT, it felt great and fun, and now not so much.

I don't remember that AP was ever the strongest discipline in the game, as I remember in pve it was all about mercs that time (at least mostly), and in pvp - sins. I don't see the reasons for nerfs tbh. But whatever, it's just how I see it.

:sul_frown: