The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

*Spoilers* Force Awakens... entertaining but /sigh

gsummers

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Left the theater thinking Kylo Ren is nothing that a haircut and a good spanking won't fix. He started off great. Then as soon as he took of his mask I thought "oh no, put the mask back on quick!" When we first hear him speak with his mask off, my wife started laughing so loud it reverberated across the theater. So much for a great villain.

Seriously, let's just fast forward now to the part where Kylo throws Darth Golum/Voldemort down a shaft of Death Star 4.0 (this one is the size of a solar system and can destroy dwarf galaxies!) as Snookie is killing Rey and get it over with.

Kylo: Now go my sister/cousin... leave me.

Rey: No my brother/cousin, you are coming with me, I won't leave you here I've got to save you.

Kylo: You already have sister/cousin, you already have. You were right, you were right about me. Tell your mother/aunt that you were right.

It is unfortunate that so many people missed the point of Ren's character. He was never supposed to be the head villain. He's not supposed to be Vader 2.0. He's supposed to be much like the main characters, just from the other end of the spectrum, developing as the story goes along. He's still a novice and young. His facial reveal was intentionally anti-climatic. The actual reveal is that underneath the dark robes and menacing mask, he's a boy and a very conflicted one at that. Putting on an intimidation facade. He's Luke, if Luke had ever become corrupted by the dark side. Some may call him whiny and emo, but I'd imagine they're used to the stoic, emotionless good and bad guys who just scowl and growl at everything. Boring. Personally, I found him a refreshing character. I think they made him a bit too much like a chump in the end though. Him and Rey should've fought to a stalemate, injuring each other before the planet split.

In terms of the actual film; better than anything in regards to the prequels, and this is coming from someone who doesn't quite jump on the hate bandwagon. I don't hate the films, but they really aren't good. A bit heavy on the nostalgia but whatever. I can see why JJ played it close to ANH. After the schism of the prequels, it was an easy way of trying to win back all of the fans. As much as the anti-hype edge lords love saying that it's ANH 2.0, it's not. It has a fair amount of differences. My biggest complaint stems from this whole "resistance" thing and why the New Republic doesn't seem to take The First Order seriously. It's dumb and makes no sense and I thought it was just a cheap way of making the good guys the underdogs. I thought the pacing was a bit too fast and you never really got to learn the worlds that they were on. I was kinda hoping for an extended cut but oh well. Rey was somewhat Mary Sue in regards to the force but her winning against an emotionally, mentally, and physically wracked Kylo isn't as far fetched as some people made it out to be. Wasn't my preferred outcome but whatever. The movie to me is a solid 8/10.