The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

About them old sidekicks.

TL_Roff

ok, right, I get it... You the character have been doing your wall decoration thing for the last 5 years, you have a force ghost in your head, and your companions have scattered across the galaxy. Oh and yea, everyone expects you to lead the resistance and save the galaxy!

I know there are things I get to do that are easy now and again, but the pale into insignificance compared to what does get thrown at me... Damd you Joseph Campbell, Damd you!

Life could be worse.

But I do have some.. well, pretty serious peeves happening here.. especially when if comes to companions..

SO My main is a Sith Juggernaut..light side, lots of fun.. easy to find many many bad guys and kick their ***. Life is good in that reguard. SO like yea contact says recruit this scientist guy that does what.. he turns into a ratgoul.. yuk! Nasty! Ok, but right, he was one of Cipher 9 peeps, but hey I'll recruit him..

Um wait a moment.. ok, I need to eith go kill retgouls during the event (which is unplayable for me... very very low spec machine and the lag in the Alderan instances during the event leaves me playing at about 3 fps..I spend more time getting killed by what hasn't been drawn on my screen yet and have learned to stay away from the event... is there no other way? Apparently not,,

Ok Ships Droid,, yea,,he wants to do special things and be appreciated... first time around gave me quite a chuckle as the droid had to shut own from over stimulation... second time around though requires me to take up a crafting trade... Something I have desperately avoided because after years of MMO play I have learned something important about crafting in MMO's... its not worth it..

You spend time, in game cash, and resources gathering up materials which are mostly used to train your crafting to get it to a level of where you can actually make something useful in the end game.. assuming you can produce the item cost effectively, and if your hoping to make money in game, if your lucky the NPC's wont pay you less for a finished trash item then you paid them for the materials that you didn't go gather your self or buy off the market.

I've only seen one MMO that had a crafting system that was actually worth the effort and thats old starwars galaxies. Every other example in MMO's is primarily a prestige thing players do "I'm a crafter! *preen preen*"

and a time and money/resource sink. SWTOR is really no different. You can money in crafting in swtor but forst you have to slog your way there. You guys go ahead... I am not going to bother...

NO, we got a side kick/alliance mission that requires crafted stuff to complete...

YOU DEVS ARE BEING IDIOTS! What are you doing tying a primary story line into a optional content system? AND its the only place in the game where I see this.. both of these instances just don't work very well.. One sidekick is tied to a special event (that I particularly do not like at all, and never have..damd april fools joke that has gone on way to long.. lazy lazy devs in this case!)

When ya write content that gets in the way of experiencing the content there is a problem!

The above are minor annoyances. I only just recently subbed with the intro of the new content and expansion with 4.0.. I've been a F2P person for several years.. I subbed because the changes actually made it pretty fun as F2P customer (wasn't so much before.. stupid arbitrary thoughtless limitations to F2P accounts over all, 4.0 made it worth while) ... nuff so that I said,, "self! It's time to sub!"

This is not a troll post. If you troll types want to dig into this and do your normal, you go right ahead. I could care less. I turned 58 this year and learned long ago to ignore children when they're being children. Especially seeing I have great grand children due soon.

I doubt anything will get done about this, though it would be nice. It is a minor issue but it does do a fantastic job of momentum and immersion breaking. It felt like a real disconnect in play to me.. jarring even. You don't run into this until your in chapter IX of the new story line.

I can't help but wonder though that if at some point in the next several chapters over the coming year if we're gonna need that side kick.. what if the side kick aint there because someone didn't finish the quest line to unlock them cuz the quest was a total pain in the you know where?

Oh and by the way, dev guys.. I think you may have made a horrid horrid mistake. I 've watched your competition at cryptic studio's (Startrek Online) . Apparently your committing your self to a release schedule of new content (chapters) every month to 2 months over the next year or so as this new story line evolves. Cool, awesome.. WATCH IT! DON'T get so hooked on meeting that schedule that quality and story suffer because of bugs, and incomplete content. (not to mention opp'ses and oversites)

I watched cryptic (from a customer POV) focus so much on finding ways to seperate the customer from their money that the quality of the product has just dropped through the floor. STO has great content, but its difficult to notice around the bright shiney neon glow of starships, stat creep. Creeping synegies of constantly appearing exploits.. it's a long list.

Don't be like them! Not even a little bit like them.. I bought a LTM to their product back when they launched and I really which I'd spent that money HERE!