Looking for some good input on processor

KernelSander

Hey guys you probably get these questions all the time but you as the community are the best weapon to use in these situations. I want to upgrade my processor without changing out the motherboard. I have aahd2-hy (holly2) motherboard and it has a AMD A4-3420 2.80 GHz installed right now. Other specs include 6 GB of stock Ram (came with computer), Nvidia GTX 750Ti Graphics card, 700w Corsair power supply. If more information is needed please let me know. I play ok on low settings (used a guide on youtube which helped my fps even though ingame it says settings are higher?) Link here:

I would like a good recommendation on a processor that will play this game better WITHOUT upgrading my motherboard completely. I would not think my Graphics card is the problem or my ram either but let me know guys.

Edited by KernelSander

From HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Motherboard Specifications, AAHD2-HY (Holly)

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02966470:

Processor Upgrade Information

- 65W to 100W (processor dependent)

- Socket type: FM1

Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:

• AMD A8-3850 (Liano) quad core, 100W
  • AMD A8-3800 (Liano) quad core, 65W
  • AMD A6-3650 (Liano) quad core' 100W
  • AMD A6-3600 (Liano) quad core' 65W
  • AMD A4-3420 (Liano) dual core' 65W ← your current CPU
  • AMD A4-3400 (Liano) dual core' 65W
  • AMD E2-3200 (Liano) dual core' 65W
  • AMD X2-198 (Sempron) dual core' 65W
  • AMD X2-221 (Athlon II) dual core' 65W

Edited by GalacticKegger

The A8 3850. They're out of production, though.

You might also look at upgrading the heatsink+fan, because that CPU is a little hotter and hungrier for power than your old one.

P.S. The power supply is massive overkill. You could put an R9 390X (~275W) on that thing if you wanted, and it would work just fine.

will the AMD A8-3870K work with this motherboard? and I know the powersupply is a bit overkill but when I originally upgraded my graphics card I was looking at getting a more power hungry card. I got the power supply dirt cheap on sale and got it in prep for the card. changed my mind later on the card decision so I stayed with it.

It might. The motherboard doesn't say it will take it.

Not only does it need to be pin-compatible (it is), but the BIOS needs to have the microcode for that particular APU, which lets the system work around errata (flaws in the CPU design which would cause bad results if they were executed).

You can try, and it may or may not work.

• 2 weeks later...
Looking to upgrade my motherboard so I can upgrade to an AMD FX-6300 6 core 3.5 GHz Processor. Do you think this will be a good upgrade for my pc for gaming? will I see a noticeable difference in fps or just a little hop up? Thanks for all the input everybody.

Have you thought about looking at the Intel side of CPUs?

Also, absolutely zero reason to take a "6" core over a 4 core for gaming.

You need a higher clock speed for this game.

It runs ok on an intel around 4.0 ghz not sure what the amd = of that would be 5 ghz? XD jk i dunno.

But you need a high clock speed to run it good so id look at an intel and overclock it

You need a higher clock speed for this game.

It runs ok on an intel around 4.0 ghz not sure what the amd = of that would be 5 ghz? XD jk i dunno.

But you need a high clock speed to run it good so id look at an intel and overclock it

That's not really how processors work.

Overclocking purely for gaming will not give you significant increases in performance. And I could say that about overclocking in general. It's half placebo.

No reason at all to overclock anything higher than a 4 core i5.

That's not really how processors work.

Overclocking purely for gaming will not give you significant increases in performance. And I could say that about overclocking in general. It's half placebo.

No reason at all to overclock anything higher than a 4 core i5.

Whilst generally true for many games that's not true for this game - the more raw cpu speed you throw at ti the faster it runs due to how cpu bound it is where as most other games are gpu bound so overclocking doesn't do much until you're limited by your cpu speed again ( which rarely happens in most games ).

Also if upgrading your motherboard go Intel if you want better performance, single core games like this suffer miserably under AMD compared to Intel.