Largest Cartel Market weapons sale of the year is now live! Check it out before August 27! ×

Companion approval vs disapproval?

eoblaed

If a companion disapproves of a conversation choice you make, does that offer less influence or the same influence as compared to approval?

I know the easy answer is 'less', because that seems intuitive, but I was hoping they'd let you make whatever conversation choices you wanted for your character without having to tailor the answers for what you think your companion will like in the interest of leveling them.

Basically, looking for real numbers here, not just hunch guesses. :) Thanks!

I don't recall getting "disapproves" messages giving any affection points at all. I know in the previous system you use to lose affection if you did something that made your companions unhappy (which players apparently didn't like, because it interfered with the way they wanted to play. To me, that's a bit of a BS cop-out excuse, but whatever, that's in the past now)

But this new system does lend itself to allowing to play their characters a little more true to what they felt like, without feeling 'punished' by losing companion affection (and thus combat effectiveness)

My advice, don't farm points, make conversation choices based on what you feel is right not what you think your companion will like.

If you want to raise influence with a specific companion...that's what companion gifts are for.

I agree with this. Pick your conversation choices as you see fit and get the gifts to flush your companions out.

I know this isn't exactly hard numbers you were looking for but here is a guide on Dulfy.net for the gifts. Warning there are some spoilers in there for the expansion along the lines of what companions you will receive.

http://dulfy.net/2015/10/21/swtor-fallen-empire-companion-influences-guide/

Thanks for all the responses.

As it turns out, I do pick the choices that I feel my character would make, regardless of what I think the companion will think of it. I was just curious how much of an impact it had when they 'disapproved' if any. I also have a couple of friends that were concerned as well.

I'm no stranger to 'gift-spamming'. :)

According to Bioware blog post, approval or disapproval does not matter, still gets full influence.

Chuckle..

When my comps "approve", get 200pts.

When they "disapprove" I get 50pts.

Easy to see when have multiple of each type of toon. Got 3 BHs been running recently and see the above differences.

• 7 months later...
I think approval gets you more points but disapproval still gets you at least 50 points. It doesn't affect anything much if at all so choose what you want. (unless you choose to off someone...then that affects them from coming back :p Also! You can lose companions based on certain actions that you choose. Some important approvals or disapproval may be forever remembered and marked on their character sheet. For example, if you choose Koth over Senya or vice versa that approval/disapproval will be perm recorded. Pissing off Valkorian with a great disapproval is also a remember event.

Aye pretty much their way of creating the "choose your whatever" story line as now their is no real punishment for choosing what you want.

Not true! You can kill off companions and certain actions can cause other companions to leave your side. Although, they don't want anyone totally companionless so some still remain. However, future missions and dialogues change.

What the previous post says is true for the new expansions but I do not think that you can loose companions in the main campaigns. Also, the post that the previous one was referencing is correct for the main campaign companions, you cannot (so I have experienced) gain anything but + influence it is just decreased now so if you would have gained 250 I think now you will gain 50.

I prefer to choose whatever I'd like to choose on the conversations. To grown their influence, just give gifts.

Fair point. At least now it doesn't go down when you get "disapprove"... (One choice in the Trooper story used to give something like -350 Affection for Elara Dorne...)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.